Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubing size discrepancy "1.5""

Nisai

Tubing size discrepancy "1.5""

So, I bought an aquascape kit that said it came with "1.5"" tubing. I took the long tubing piece into the garden center to trade it in for a longer piece (of what I thought was generic "1.5"" tubing), and I hooked everything up. I bought a uv filter with 1.5" fittings and some "1.5"" laguna tubing. I headed to home depot to piece together the plumbing, and discovered a 1" coupling had an OD that was very close to the ID of the Laguna "1.5"" tubing so as to allow me to use that with another piece of 1" pvc and a 1" to 1.5" reducer to link into the 1.5" splitter piece only to perform the same shenanigan on the other side of the splitter to go back to "1.5"" tubing. Heaven forbid Lowe's or Home Depot carry tubing fitted junctions...sigh...So after an hour of deliberating what pieces to get at Home Depot I headed home. Upon inspection, I had a 4ft section of generic "1.5"" tubing left over from the original hookup, and actually a small piece of the original aquascape "1.5"" tubing as well as my new piece of Laguna "1.5"" tubing... As it turns out, all of them have quite different IDs. The 1" coupling only fits into the Laguna tubing. The generic tubing nearly fits inside the Laguna tubing, and when I got out the ruler to measure, the actual ID of the generic tubing is more like 1 7/16" whereas the aquascape is 1 8/16", and the Laguna tubing's ID is more like 1 9/16". Furthermore the generic tubing I have my whole setup on will flat out not fit onto the 1.5" fittings of the Pondmaster UV filter. I do seem to remember having a bit of a hard time getting the generic tubing onto the fittings for the skimmer box/waterfall basin, and I wasn't that impressed with the "5000 gph flow" of my pump. I wonder if the employee at the garden center slipped me 1.25" tubing. Has anybody else had any issues with tubing ID from brand to brand?

Are the Laguna, Aquascape and UV 1.5" ID or OD? Maybe I'm not following what you're saying.

If they're all OD, the ID will vary based on the thickness of the pipe or tubing.

Sansai
    LOL ! I remember when I set up my first QT and started trying to make sense of plumbing. I made three different men employees crazy trying to make logical decisions about what size everything REALLY is. I finally had one guy tell me that they must not make any tubing that would fit a pondmaster pump! I believe I ended up with a short PVC coupler glued to the pump outlet and then put tubing onto that. I'm sure there must be a real solution somewhere. I have also heated and stretched and used a lot of PAM to put things together!! Good luck!!! And those plastic cord ties are indespensible.

Nisai

Id od

The UV filter just says the fittings are for 1.5" tubing. I assume the tubing is supposed to have an ID of 1.5"??? Maybe you're right. Maybe it's like stereos where some companies advertise their max power and others their RMS value... Might explain why the Generic's OD is close to the ID of the Laguna...When I measured it I expected to find I had 1.25" tubing, but it's far too close to 1.5 to be 1.25???

You are dealing with tubing that is probably all manufactured on the Chinese mainland where quality control and standards for stuff like this do not exist. "Tubing" is generally measured based on OUTSIDE diameter in smaller sizes and switches to INSIDE diameter at larger sizes (over 1"). Since they are really set up for metric over there we generally get whatever is closest to the right size depending on the POS factory building the junk this month.

Here is the rule. Buy a dial caliper, learn how to use it, and take it with you the next time you go shopping. It will save you a lot of headaches in a slipshod world without standards.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Nisai

So...

I guess I'm going back down to Home depot to try and find some other combination of pipe fittings I can buy to make this smaller tubing go into the junction I want to use... It's ghetto, but maybe still better than paying the ridiculous $30 for an Oase splitter that probably cost them $3 to manufacture. I wonder if these hose clamps will hold the tubing to a smooth 1" junction with no barbs when the water pressure is applied.

If you can find one small enough and the tubing is stiff enough, use a Fernco.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    You are dealing with tubing that is probably all manufactured on the Chinese mainland where quality control and standards for stuff like this do not exist. "Tubing" is generally measured based on OUTSIDE diameter in smaller sizes and switches to INSIDE diameter at larger sizes (over 1"). Since they are really set up for metric over there we generally get whatever is closest to the right size depending on the POS factory building the junk this month.

Here is the rule. Buy a dial caliper, learn how to use it, and take it with you the next time you go shopping. It will save you a lot of headaches in a slipshod world without standards.
    ... and I might add that MOST OF THE WORLD, including where "stuff" is made, DOES NOT USE inches.

Something to think about.

Buyer wants 1.5 inches... lets substitute 40 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by xlaziox View Post
    I guess I'm going back down to Home depot to try and find some other combination of pipe fittings I can buy to make this smaller tubing go into the junction I want to use... It's ghetto, but maybe still better than paying the ridiculous $30 for an Oase splitter that probably cost them $3 to manufacture. I wonder if these hose clamps will hold the tubing to a smooth 1" junction with no barbs when the water pressure is applied.
    Take a look at this Aquatic Eco-Systems: Lake & Pond Supplies.

Nisai

Yay

I went to Lowes in the tubing section and spotted a nylon 1.5" piece that has a 1.5" nipple on one side and a male thread on the other, and it costed like $7 a pop. As I was contemplating just buying the $30 Oase valve, I took a trip back to the PVC parts aisle to see if I could find a female threaded piece that would match the male end of the nylon piece, and as I was searching through all of those boxes that people put all the wrong parts back in, so it's near impossible to tell what was supposed to be in the box and what wasn't, I spotted a regular PVC piece with a 1.5" nipple on one end and an unthreaded female receiver on the other, AND I could cram my Chinese smaller than an inch and a half tubing onto it. As this was what I had needed all along, I was quite thrilled to see it was only like $1.50. $6 for those, $6 for the 3 way PVC pieces, $5 for the 1.5" ball valve,$5 for the 10' of 1.5" PVC to join it all together, oh, and $8 for hose clamps. $30 assembly vs $60 for 2 of those Oase splitters. (forget about the 2 hours spent trying to find parts and the gas to drive to three different hardware places=)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast