Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Natural pond cleaning.

First off, make sure you take good care of the cut finger. Koi ponds at their absolute best still harbor a background level of aeromonas and pseudomonas bacteria and humans are not immune from infection. Thorough cleansing with alchohol and/or peroxide along with topical treatment with Triple Antibiotic Ointment would be a good precaution as it will offer you protection against gram negative and gram positive strains.

I'm sure the "gray cloud" look to the water is annoying, but leave the air going. The clay is not a problem for the Koi at all and in a more confined space the added air will be a great benefit to them. It will clear up soon enough once you re-fill the pond and the airstones are off the clay bottom.

It may be difficult, but now that you have found the real problem area of the pond I'm sure the difficult task seems even more worthwhile than before. You'll rest easier knowing you've removed those hazards from the pond and your Koi will be much safer from any potential harm.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Nisai
    Here is the current situation.

http://unibios.free.fr/pond/day7end.jpg

I stopped work right away to take car of the finger with girm killers. The car will have to wait until next week. I have a feeling the fuel pump is not working but the guy who came to look it over thinks otherwise. The startup turnover does not sound like normal to me.

Anyway back to the pond, I have put the aeration back on even though the water there is only about 1 metre deep. Ill just have to wait for the clay particles to drop. The koi don't seem to mind like you say and it seems to have brought their colors out some.

I forgot that earlier in the year I did a couple of vidoes of the waterfall, they are not very long but give an idea when it was first completed.

YouTube - Waterfall video 1 05/05/10
    YouTube - Waterfall video 2 05/05/10

Love it A great waterfall is a beautiful thing.
    The fact that you are able to use the natural stone to accomplish it makes it so much the better

Waterfall

Those are great videos of the waterfall. Please keep us updated on your progress. Good luck with your car. We know all too well how aggravating car troubles are. Our last bill on ours was $3600 for a rebuilt transmission.

Tategoi
    I am gathering that the traditional "through the wall" type of skimmer is not going to work on this sort of pond. As opposed to a "DIY floating" skimmer, what about using 2-3 "no-nitch" skimmers -- the sort that would have a weighted bottom tray for support on any hard level surface -- and then plumbing them via flex hose up and over the side? Those could be positioned at different spot in the pond, and moved easily if need be.

Just an idea....

Nisai
    I'm not sure that kind of skimmer would have a large enough basket for the ammount of leaves we get.

Another day of work completed, not so many hours put in as had other things to do.

http://unibios.free.fr/pond/day8end.jpg

I also took away all the wood supports I had done at the other end of the pond because I used acq pressure treated wood thinking it would be ok. I then read about copper being very bad for koi and other aquatic animals. I have used untreated wood in its place.

The water clarity is not getting any better on the completed section, its still a very grey color with only 3cm visability. Its getting worse and the aeration being on is stopping the clay particles settling to the bottom some advice on this could be helpfull, I did not expect the water to go like that right away and the airstones are already not on the bottom..

Roughly how many gallons of water do you think are there? I have a pond vac, and on the outlet I can place a mesh bag on it, and filter the water. A shop vac may do that too, as my pond guy uses a shop vac to clean up my pond when we call him out. Anyway, my pond vac is an Oase Pondovac 3, and is not suitable for leaves, but it does great on other things.

The only kind of "pond vac" that would be of any benefit on something on this scale would be the truck mounted variety used for pumping out septic tanks

I've been pondering this skimmer thing quite a bit, and the "no niche" style Paul mentions is the right approach, but the surface opening would need to be VERY large with an easily removable net to remove the leaves, etc... for dumping.

What I'm wondering about is the potential of a large plastic tub with a 3" or 4" drain line on the bottom. Using a "hoop framed" net fitted to the top of the basket/tub would give a large surface area to pull leaves and water in and the real "trick" would be maintaining proper buoyancy.

Nisai
    Another day gone but I think some real progress was done today, it seems there may be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

http://unibios.free.fr/pond/day9end.jpg

Whats making this one so hard to clean is the fact there is no rock bottom we have found yet and no easy exit from area to dump gunk. There will be rock somewhere under that clay but have no idea how far under. We are just going to clean to the clay probably.

Still no improovement in the water clarity in the completed part, its still 3cm only. I put some in a jar yesturday to see how it would look today, its still the same with only a tiny amount which settled to the bottom of the jar. I made a quick DIY filter to cycle the water through about 20cm of foam and turned off the aeration. Lets see how that does tomorrow.

We have pulled out quite a bit of metal so for from the final section of pond, this included a paint tin lid, some rubber peice with metal parts I cannot identify which was covered in oil, also and a few old strenthning rods for cement. It was all well under the gunk along with many more small branches.

Answering a couple of other question, I'm not sure the total water volume given the shape and rock structures but I would guess once we are done it will be at least 200,000 litres which is around 53,000 US gallons. I am thinking about a pond vac which we could use on the shallow rock areas only. It would be no good to use on the pond bottom though and not a real solution but it could be nice to use one just to keep the shallow rock patterns visable.

I'm still not sure about that skimmer type, maybe I just don't understand its concept. Could I do something like this. Dig a deep hole next to the pond and put a barrel in (barrel as in 200 litre plastic water collector you would use to collect rain water from guttering), then put a large pipe (big enough for leaves and such to easily go through) going level from the pond to the top section of the barrel. Allow barrel to fill via gravity fed and then at the bottom of the barrel pump water out with submerged pump. Finally inside the barrel have some kind of net?

Quote Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
    I'm still not sure about that skimmer type, maybe I just don't understand its concept. Could I do something like this. Dig a deep hole next to the pond and put a barrel in (barrel as in 200 litre plastic water collector you would use to collect rain water from guttering), then put a large pipe (big enough for leaves and such to easily go through) going level from the pond to the top section of the barrel. Allow barrel to fill via gravity fed and then at the bottom of the barrel pump water out with submerged pump. Finally inside the barrel have some kind of net?
    Yes, the skimmer can be a large pipe with the opening at the pond top water level.
    The only problem is at the entrance to the pipe you want floating leaves to easily go through but not your fish.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast