Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Natural pond cleaning.

Razoola: you have my sympathy for such a daunting task.

Thank you for the videos and for someone standing in the one waterfall video. Too many pictures and videos have nothing to scale against. That amazing waterfall might have seemed much smaller without something to compare it to.

That is some waterfall!

Could you DIY something like this: Pooldevil Pro: The Official Site for the Ultimate Pool Surface Cleaner

But maybe on a bigger scale?

It's basically a hose that floats that forces water into a floating net (venturi), along with the water leaves and debris goes with it. Maybe put it on a timer so it comes on for a hour 4 times a day?

If you google "floating pool skimmers" there's a bunch of different ideas you might be able to DIY or adapt into what you want.

The first link above is what came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    The only kind of "pond vac" that would be of any benefit on something on this scale would be the truck mounted variety used for pumping out septic tanks
    You misunderstood me, and I was not clear. The pond vac concept was about the water that was left that he needed clearing up. My pond vac water goes in, and goes out, and does not collect in the vac. It can go through a mesh bag and filter out a lot of stuff and clear the water, which would then go back into the pond. My pond vac would filter at 2,000 gallons an hour. But it's the concept I was talking about, not the pond vac as a solution to the entire pond. A pond could be filtered out with a pump that could do more gallons than that, with a setup of water going through a filter device or mesh bag, whatever, and back into the pond that would be cleaner water, and a temporary solution. A septic tank truck could only vacuum up the water, and truck it somewhere else. That would be quite different. Hope that is clear now.
    ------------
    "Imperfection is beauty. Madness is genius & it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than to be absolutely boring." ~Marilyn Monroe

Nisai
    Got to the end of another day, I think almost all the gunk is removed now thankfully as that was the hardest part. Just messy clay at the bottom and some loose stuff to remove now before using the bottom clay to cover the sides.

http://unibios.free.fr/pond/day10end.jpg (forgot this pic due to forum outage)
    http://unibios.free.fr/pond/day11end.jpg

What I have tried to do is make both ends of the pond where the leaves gather as open as possible so I can remove much with a pole and skimmer net. Because of the way the pond now is with the new bank (to allow for bridge) I need to see how that affects where leaves naturally collect.

I'm still not sure just how deep this last section is, I think it goes down another 50cm below the clay in some areas but we won't take the clay away. I have found some large stones in there though which I'm using to make ledges for lilies.

I think I need to speak to the farmer about the clay on the bottom. I'm 99% sure its natural but I just want to make sure it was not put there when the pond was extended for some reason.

Quite an intresting idea that pool skimmer, I'm just not sure I would like that must top water movement and it may create to much foam on the surface. Its something I can DIY and experiment with easily though.

When we take the picture tomorrow I'll stand in the bottom so you can get an idea of the size.

Nisai
    First heavy rain this afternoon since the clean started. A real pity because we could have got it finished. Instead I will need to drain the water tomorrow morning before hopefully finishing the final part off. I'm standing in the picture to give an idea of the size of this last section.

http://unibios.free.fr/pond/day12end.jpg

You can also see the color of the water, the other end we had already cleaned is still that color also with 2cm visability, even the koi can't see the food on the surface and suck around like crazy before they hit the mark. Its not diluting at all and the filter did not help so I put the aerator back on

Waiting for the muddy water to clear before you fully fill the pond is going to drive you crazy, because it will NOT happen. You'll need to have the airlines exclusively in areas where the bottom is 100% natural stone bottom (which you have plenty of thankfully) and a pond FILLED with water. After that, things will clear relatively quickly but the Koi will still burrow around in the mud because that is their natural behavior. Guaranteed.

Time is your friend, impatience is your enemy.
    Might as well embrace your friend

Nisai
    Yup, I think patiance will be key. I have also read that Limestone (calcium carbonate) can remove suspended clay particles. What I can do if it has not settled by winter is wait for the ice and then spread it on top. In fact I will probably do this anyway if the water ph is still low. I forgot to mention the pond ph before the clean is 6, this is probably caused by the pine needles that fall into the water.

The good news is the main pond clean is complete bar a couple of small tasks which won't involve getting dirty. Here are pictures of the final section of pond.

http://unibios.free.fr/pond/day13end1.jpg
    http://unibios.free.fr/pond/day13end2.jpg

I think tomorrow I can start filling with water. I have got to try and find some self sinking airline hose from somewhere also. This stuff is not easy to get in Finland.

I'll bet you are ready for some nice "clean" work after all of this.

Looking forward to seeing how things turn out as you begin the finishing touches and re-fill the pond. It may not look much different from the top once filled again, but you'll have the comfort of knowing the dangerous debris is no longer in there to worry about.

Lime, limestone, etc... (not the same as Bentonite Clay) come in many forms and I suggest you contact your local government agriculture agency for advice on that. Many farmers in my part of the world will occasionally add pieces of sheet rock (fireproof wallboard) to their farm ponds to reduce muddiness and raise ph. Similar to plaster of paris. What is best for you depends on your water and soil type, so the Ag experts would be a good resource for you.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Nisai
    I read around and see there are quite a few things you can put in to do it but some are more detrimental to the koi than others, hey for example would be an easy choice for us that will go against all the cleaning we have just done. I'm sort of hoping I don't need to do anything and the ph slowly goes up also. It will do from adding the filtered tap water, its just a case of if it will stay there after.

I will add some photoes later today of what we have actually removed. Its quiate amasing some of the bits and peices that were hidden in there.

Nisai
    A couple of days late but here are the pictures of what we removed.

http://unibios.free.fr/pond/gunk.jpg
    http://unibios.free.fr/pond/glass.jpg
    http://unibios.free.fr/pond/metal.jpg
    http://unibios.free.fr/pond/branches.jpg

We also found the following items.

2 small (enought for 2 people) cream jugs and 1 saucer to go with it
    1 toy plastic car
    1 toy plastic train carriage
    1 non smashed green glass beer bottle
    1 old fishing net attached to nylon washing line and stick

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast