Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Build materials question...

there is progressively less outward pressure as you move up from the base, and zero at the top
    Dr Seuss, I'm very interested in this comment as I did a quick job of raising the perimeter of my once AS pond by using 4x8x16 hollow core blocks laid horizontally and staggered and glued together with landscaping block glue.

Every year I'm waiting for the thing to either fall in or explode outward.

We had expected to move so I did this as an experiment and wasn't concerned with longevity since I figured whoever bought our house probably wouldn't want a pond anyway.

It sounds like you're an expert at concrete so do you have any comments or thoughts on this haphazard perimeter wall? Nothing I can do about it now but I'm curious to hear from someone knowledgable in this area.
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Fry
    post moved to a different website.

OMG that was SO interesting!! Thank you so much for taking the time to go into detail. I'm sure your explanations will benefit many and hopefully Titaniumpete as well.

I think I'll quit walking on that wall. It's 8 inches high at most which is probably what's saving me so far but I always feel I'm teetering on the edge of disaster.

We've been discussing staying in this house for various reasons even though we have 20 acres down the road so I've been thinking about a new pond next year in the back yard, bigger and properly constructed.

Thanks again!!

Fry
    Thanks for all your feedback!

Dr. Seuss, 007, your input was very helpful and has help to put me at ease. I've decided (based on some additional info.) to construct using 6x8x16 cement blocks. This will allow me to fill the holes. I did however make a slight mistake using only shorter rebar in the poured footings - i'll add additional bars as I lay the blocks.

Project status update...
    Picasa Web Albums - Peter - Koi Pond

Thanks again,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumpete View Post
    I did however make a slight mistake using only shorter rebar in the poured footings - i'll add additional bars as I lay the blocks.
    Does not look like a mistake to me, you can add pieces of rebar to lengthen the rebar height.

Fry
    post moved to a different website

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12