Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EA Eazy Pod Review

EA Eazy Pod Review

I have seen the SALES HYPE.

Is there anybody that can give a review of the EA Eazy Pod from experience?

The sales hype for this little 23 inch, 30 liters Kaldnes K1 media filter says; "A low priced smaller version of the Nexus Eazy, the world's number-one professional koi filtration system. The Eazy Pod is the complete mechanical and biological filter system for garden ponds up to 20,000 litres or koi ponds up to 10,000 litres...."

Would this little filter actually handle a small 2600 US gallon Koi pond?

For those of you interested, here is the Eazy Pod Installation Manual.

Tategoi
    I'll be curious as well....

For what it may be worth, I own one of these things, but it has not yet been installed. I am in the process of a small (about 1600 gallons) pond build right now, and my plan is to use the Eazy POD on the BD circuit. As I also plan to run a separate circuit for the skimmer, I will not be relying on the Eazy POD as the only source of filtration.

Obviously, I'll know a heck of a lot more once I actually have the thing installed and running.

I will mention that Mystic Koi (Upland, CA) uses several of these things on their stock tanks. They seem fairly happy with them, although they were using mini SC upstream of the PODs. They may be able to provide some better feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    I'll be curious as well....

For what it may be worth, I own one of these things, but it has not yet been installed. I am in the process of a small (about 1600 gallons) pond build right now, and my plan is to use the Eazy POD on the BD circuit. As I also plan to run a separate circuit for the skimmer, I will not be relying on the Eazy POD as the only source of filtration.

Obviously, I'll know a heck of a lot more once I actually have the thing installed and running.

I will mention that Mystic Koi (Upland, CA) uses several of these things on their stock tanks. They seem fairly happy with them, although they were using mini SC upstream of the PODs. They may be able to provide some better feedback.
    Hopefully somebody will have some input.

Just curious, do you plan to install your Eazy Pod "pump fed" or "gravity fed"?

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Just curious, do you plan to install your Eazy Pod "pump fed" or "gravity fed"?
    I plan to plumb straight from the BD -- gravity-fed to the input of the POD. (The POD will obviously be mounted level with the pond). I have removed the 1.5" inch intake restrictor, and replaced it with a 3" inch Fernco rubber connector for better flow-thorugh. The outlet is 3" inch as well -- this will then gravity feed to a set of airlifts. The airlifts are the *pump* to return the water to the pond.

It is a bit of an experimental strategy on my part, and if it doesn't work out, I'll switch things around, but I want to give it a go.

I have one and i'm very happy with it. 1500 ga. an somewhat heavy stocking. Pump fed and easy to clean. Well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have one and i'm very happy with it. 1500 ga. an somewhat heavy stocking. Pump fed and easy to clean. Well worth the money.
    Is there any other filtration used with the Eazy Pod?

No just the Pod. Mystic koi has them set up on stock yanks with a heavy load and the seem to work great. Give them a call and ask for info. Ask for Bill .

Hey guys,

I've had one for a couple years now. More recently for the last 12 months it's been the only filter for my indoor quarantine tank. I also overwinter my koi in it.

1200 gallons
    Gravity fed 4" line
    2200 GPH flow rate
    Back washed daily 3-4 times
    K1 media
    3 - 9 koi depending on season.
    330 ORP reading steady with a pH of 8.0

So far it's been excellent. Zero readings on nitrite and ammonia even during normal/heavy feeding with 7 koi. (12"-20") Water is crystal clear and I got really good growth

By virtue of the daily back washing, I estimate that I change 7% of my water daily so that helps keep the nitrate in check. (4ppm or less)

The start up time for the bacteria, especially the nitrifiers is a little long but once it's humming, you're good to go.

My population is reduced somewhat but definitely larger in size per size so I'm adding a skimmer circuit in the next few weeks along with a bakki shower.

I would recommend this filter for sure. But I don't know if I'd push too hard with it. The biggest problem I see is if you don't have any solid separation prior to the eazy pod, you need to backwash it so much you're continually beating up the bacteria colony. I realize that the inside of the K1 is fairly safe from mechanical removal, but if it's the only filter you have every square inch counts.

Grant

I don't have one so this is purely 2nd hand.

A guy who used to be a regular poster over at the Malaysian Forum did a write-up on one he installed for his mothers small pond a few years back. She was getting up in years and he was doing all of the maintenance on her pond so he decided on the EZPod in hopes it would make life a bit easier. To say he was happy with it was an understatement. Not only was his workload reduced, the pond improved a great deal from the old filter (which I don't recall the design of). I know its just a 2nd hand anecdote, but one I've heard repeated a goodly number of times.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

eds
    Sansai
    I don't have one either so this is second-hand information I've got from people who do. They are excellent mechanically but do need regular cleaning and if they aren't then that causes problems as the media gets filthy.

Over here you can also often see posts on some forums where it isn't cleaning properly or blocking with blanketweed. One of the reasons for both of these (along with people expecting them to go a week or 3 without cleaning!) is that the slots to let the water into the Easy section are only at the bottom, reducing the area which can make blocking via blanketweed much more likely. Also when cleaning the K1 rises up and there are no slots to allow the dirty water to exit the centre section. With slots at the top cleaning seems faster. I know someone who has put slots all the way up on the part where the water flows in on a pod and it really helps with cleaning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast