Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question regarding Bakki Showers

MCA
    I used 100kg for a 10,000 gallon pond with a flow rate of ~7000gph. That is the skimmer circuit. Each of the two BSs connects to Nexus. If

If were doing showers only...I would probably do 100kg for each 5,000gallons and turn over the 5000gallons through the shower each 0.5 to 1.0 hours.

Given my that I can get a chilly winter....I don't running showers then. So I will bypass them from NewYear to Easter. Each BD will contine to feed a Nexus.

Tosai
    could i stop feeding in the winter then start the filters back up when things warm up

MCA
    could i stop feeding in the winter then start the filters back up when things warm up
    Feeding pellets is usually the main source of food the koi consume and from they generate ammonia, mostly from their gills. If you stop feeding, the koi will continue to produce ammonia...in lesser quantites as the water cools and the feeding stops.

Bottom line...I never stop filtration or aeration. Why? Because our koi are trapped in a closed system where we do not have a flow through system that dilutes the ammonia to virtually zero. Instead we use filters that house bacteria to do the ammonia-nitrite-nitrate conversions. But we still need to do water changes to get rid of the byproducts and bring in fresh water.

Something in all of this seems odd. Either you are a relatively new koi keeper who does not understand pond systems (we all started there) or you are just stringing us along.

If you are indeed a novice...joing a local club and start a koi library. Do your reseach and plan out the system long before starting any digging.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12