Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocking off water at bottom drain?

Tosai

Blocking off water at bottom drain?

Hi All,
    Friends of mine have to change their filtration system. The idea is to keep the Koi in the pond whilst the conversion takes place. However, lowering the water level to the level required to carry out the work will leave too little water in the pond. So, I’m looking for a way to block the water off right at the bottom drains of the pond. (I have the diving equipment to do this). The bottom drains are standard Spindrifters with an aerated dome at a depth of approx. 1.70m. Has anybody out there a tip how to do this? Thank you very much for your help.
    Kind regards
    Marco

MCA
    Lift the airdomes out of the way. Then inserte a water pipe test plug into the 4"/110cm pipe port that goes to the filters. Tighten the test plug so that it holds the water pressure. Then put back the airdomes so they continue to do their job.

Tosai
    Thanks a lot MCA. That seems a pretty easy and workable solution. I just wonder how this is called in Spanish and if I could get this here? Do you know of a particular brand or a supplier I could search for?

Hello Torito . . .

Maybe this will work?

Best wishes,

Expansion Plugs

Expansion plugs are suitable for all low- and medium-pressure water applications. A simple twist of the wingnut will produce a watertight seal. The 1 1/2", 2" and 3" plugs fit the end of pipes only. The 4", 6" and 8" plugs can also be inserted into the pipe.
    Click image to view larger image

Source: Aquatic Eco-Systems: Aquaculture Supplies - Expansion Plugs

MCA
    Professional plummers will need those or something very similar to block and test pipes. Check with DIY stores if there are any....or a plumbing supply house.

Tosai
    Thank you gentlemen, will check the stores and plumbers in the area next week.
    Best wishes,
    Marco

Tosai
    I have been checking out all the DIY stores in the area and various plumbers, but so far no luck with the suggested “water pipe test plug”. At least one of the plumbers knew what I was looking for and is trying to get them for me. You see, it’s not all that easy in the south of Spain!!

However, in the meantime I have ordered and received these inflatable plugs from a Koi outlet in Switzerland which (hopefully) do the job.
    Regards
    Marco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blocking off water at bottom drain?-baloon.jpg  

I think you will be far better off with those expandable plugs that you ordered. When I needed to do some work on my plumbing that necessitated blocking the drain, I tried one of those test plug things and it would not work because the pipe going out of the drain is not a standard 4" PVC size and it's also not flat on the inside of the drain. It's curved. At any rate, I ended up putting a piece of rubber over the drain and setting a heavy rock on it. It worked fine, although a little water did seep through.

Quote Originally Posted by Torito View Post
    Hi All,
    Friends of mine have to change their filtration system. The idea is to keep the Koi in the pond whilst the conversion takes place. However, lowering the water level to the level required to carry out the work will leave too little water in the pond. So, I’m looking for a way to block the water off right at the bottom drains of the pond. (I have the diving equipment to do this). The bottom drains are standard Spindrifters with an aerated dome at a depth of approx. 1.70m. Has anybody out there a tip how to do this? Thank you very much for your help.
    Kind regards
    Marco
    Sounds like you found a solution. Just curious, why was there not a shut-off valve on the pipe from the bottom drains to the filtration system?
    Why not install a valve now?

Tosai
    Good point, thank you very much!

Actually there are slide valves to shut-off the water, but I don’t know yet if they can stay there. The BD at the front is probably fine, but on the BD at the back the valve is only at the “top”.

The new filters would allow using both valves as a “starting point”, but I have to leave this to the guy who is going to do the installation to decide. I just want to be prepared and have a solution ready in case the pipe needs to be cut before the valve.

We certainly have to cut for the waste lines as we need to go to waste with 110mm with the new filters. This might make it necessary to alter the inlet too in order to avoid a “dead” stump where waste could accumulate.

Will keep you posted, how things progress.

Regards
    Marco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blocking off water at bottom drain?-pipes.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast