Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kent wallace

Thread: "Behind the Sieve"

Tosai

"Behind the Sieve"

As mentioned in the earlier thread, friends of mine are going to change the filtration system for their 32’000 litres pond.

We have taken off the gravity fed sieve and whilst carrying it out of the filter pit a stinky mass of sludge was running out of the sieve, right over the feet of my dear wife (Ooops...). After the first laugh, I wondered where does this all come from? So, I unscrewed the plate that fixes the sieve and looked behind the sieve.

See pictures.

To me this has been quite shocking, to find so much muck down there, when you expect the job of a sieve is to remove waste from your water.

I don’t know if this issue with this obvious construction “problem” is known to long term users of this sieve, but it might be a useful and gentle reminder to look “behind the sieve”.

Kind regards,
    Marco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Behind the Sieve"-sieve-1-.jpg   "Behind the Sieve"-sieve-2-.jpg   "Behind the Sieve"-sieve-3-.jpg   "Behind the Sieve"-sieve-4-.jpg  

Been using the Cetus for 2 years now, have never seen anything like that. Only way for that to happen is the screen was improperly seated.

A leak (or loose connection) in the rubber boot that's supposed to send water up to the top will allow debris to escape and accumulate beneath the wedgewire screen.

Have had ours for 2 years and have never seen any debis 'down below.'

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop View Post
    A leak (or loose connection) in the rubber boot that's supposed to send water up to the top will allow debris to escape and accumulate beneath the wedgewire screen.

Have had ours for 2 years and have never seen any debis 'down below.'
    Good Point KC, missed that one

Sansai
    Sieve screens remove larger particles but do not seperate out the fine stuff . This can settle on the bottom of the sieve and pack up over time becoming anaerobic. The reason is the Cetus does not remove water from the very bottom of the chamber but up slightly because of the side mounted outlet. Place a 90 deg fitting on the outlet pointed toward the bottom with a gap of about 1/2 to 3/4 ov an inch between the mouth of the 90 deg fitting and the floor of the chamber. This will pull water closer to the floor and help eleviate the situation.
    rifraf likes this.