Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shower Media in Winter

eds
    Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaL View Post
    Do you have any pictures of any of them? How closely are they wrapped? Does it interfere with the airflow?
    Will try and sort some pics out of the custom-made ones. There are some commercial covers made such as these, Isle Of Ely Koi - Bakki Shower Winter Cover Single width

Bakki showers definitely act like a swamp cooler in every season. The refrigeration engineering principle is called the "Latent Heat of Evaporation" and it works very well and predictably in all seasons.

By bagging/tenting a shower in winter the air exchange is virtually nil which reduces any chilling effect toward nil. Obviously this also defeats the "Oxygen Enrichment" and degassing effect showers are known for, but during cold weather the O2 demands for the biomedia are greatly reduced as the bacterial colony is barely active. In this circumstance the O2 contained in the water column is sufficient on its own.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

MCA
    which begs the question...why bother to bag a shower in winter. Just turn the shower off or bypass it. Use other filters for the relatively low levels of filtration/aeration needed during the cold winter months. That is one of the reasons I would never run a pond with only 1 type of filter...no matter how well that type performs.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    which begs the question...why bother to bag a shower in winter. Just turn the shower off or bypass it. Use other filters for the relatively low levels of filtration/aeration needed during the cold winter months. That is one of the reasons I would never run a pond with only 1 type of filter...no matter how well that type performs.
    Like I said in my first post:

"That depends on where a person lives."

Edit: I agree it might be appropriate in areas where people are "bagging" their shower filters.

Sansai
    I do have other filters that were handling the load (maybe not as well as I would like- thus the shower)and actually 40% fewer koi this winter ( finally gave away some of those first pet store type koi-16 of them!). My main concern was whether anyone had had problems with freeze/thaw cycles with their media.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    At least here in Atlanta, no need to move anything. I just bypass the showers and stop feeding from New Year to end of March. The water continues to circulate from skimmer on far end...to ports in the near wall. Meanwhile the BDs continue to feed the Nexus. Then I cover the pond with a clear pool cover (12mil bubble wrap) and we are good to go until spring.
    Is it ok to cover pond surface with bubble wrap? I thought an open surface was needed for gas exchange.

MCA
    The cover floats bubbles down...and the airdomes are still running. Plus the water is well aerated in the Nexus filters. So no problem at all.

Sansai
    Well the cover can be a problem if your fish gt on top and die. I had two fish early last year that managed to get on top of the cover. One I was able to resuscitate and is doing fine; the other was in rigor when I found her and no amount of resuscitating brought her back. Some people say to cut your bubble wrap into strips or cut lots of slits in it. Live and learn.

MCA
    The ends of any cover should extend well past the edges of the pond. Our pond is semiraised with the cover going over the top of the walls and down to the ground. A koi can not get on the top of the cover with that configuration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12