Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shower Media in Winter

Sansai

Shower Media in Winter

Well I have finally gotten my shower running and winter is coming. For those of you who have outdoor showers, do any of you remove the media and store it out of the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by GloriaL View Post
    Well I have finally gotten my shower running and winter is coming. For those of you who have outdoor showers, do any of you remove the media and store it out of the weather?
    Gloria,
    That depends on where a person lives.
    I live in Southern California and run my shower filter 24/7, 365 days a year.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Gloria,
    That depends on where a person lives.
    I live in Southern California and run my shower filter 24/7, 365 days a year.
    Ahhh, if only....

I leave mine running because I need it for the oyster shells (to help with my kH). I am in zone 7b so it does get pretty cold here. I wrap the shower tightly in clear plastic to keep the wind off it and sometimes even bubble wrap insulation. Never had a problem with it freezing. If you do live in a really cold area, you probably could not do this because the media could freeze up and make the shower overflow.

eds
    Sansai
    Quite a few folks with them outside over here wrap them up or insulate them with polycarbonate covers to keep them running all year round. Personally I'm going to put mine in their own filter house with a seive to solve the problem!!!

I live in Oklahoma and it does get COLD here in winter. Rarely do we go sub-zero, but we have plenty of days in the teens and lower, ice storms, heavy snows, blahblahblah. Our problem is that we can go from having a 1" thick sheet of ice one week to mid 70's the next

That being said, I bag it running and keep things going all winter. It may be too cold to feed and you do have to take measures to ensure that extreme cold won't cause the pond return to freeze up, but keeping it running has never let me down. As a result my "spring startup" woes do not exist. Ever.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    I leave mine running because I need it for the oyster shells (to help with my kH). I am in zone 7b so it does get pretty cold here. I wrap the shower tightly in clear plastic to keep the wind off it and sometimes even bubble wrap insulation. Never had a problem with it freezing. If you do live in a really cold area, you probably could not do this because the media could freeze up and make the shower overflow.
    Part of the problem is that a shower filter is kind of like a swamp cooler.

I do not know if anybody has ever tested it, but it has been said that a shower filter "cools" the water.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by eds View Post
    Quite a few folks with them outside over here wrap them up or insulate them with polycarbonate covers to keep them running all year round. Personally I'm going to put mine in their own filter house with a seive to solve the problem!!!
    Do you have any pictures of any of them? How closely are they wrapped? Does it interfere with the airflow?

I do not know if anybody has ever tested it, but it has been said that a shower filter "cools" the water.
    I am not sure it cools below ambient temp, but ambient can be pretty low around here!

yep...a shower filter can act as a swamp cooler. Wrapping it helps a lot though. For a swamp cooler to work it has air moving across it. If the shower is wrapped, air does not flow as well. It probably does cool the water a little in the winter, but it has never been a problem for the pond or fish. The advantage is I have my oyster shells all winter and there is no spring start-up...the bacteria is up and running as soon as the water warms up enough.

MCA
    At least here in Atlanta, no need to move anything. I just bypass the showers and stop feeding from New Year to end of March. The water continues to circulate from skimmer on far end...to ports in the near wall. Meanwhile the BDs continue to feed the Nexus. Then I cover the pond with a clear pool cover (12mil bubble wrap) and we are good to go until spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast