Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Air lift pond

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    I don't have the air lift header built yet or the leaf net, but I will get pics up just as soon as I have something more to show you. I can take pics of the inside of the tote tank though, with the barrel inside.
    Can you give more information on the air lift "barbs" you plan to use.

The reason I ask is I will be looking for some for an air lift project I am working on.

The barbs are brass and came from Ace hardware for $1.79 each. They are 1/4" mnpt threaded on one end and 1/4" hose barb on the other. I'll drill and tap the PVC pipe (bought the drill and tap at Ace too for around ($13), wrap the treads of the fitting with teflon tape and screw them right into the pipe. This is a pic I pulled off the web....the top one is the kind I used. They make these in plastic too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New Air lift pond-unnamed.jpg  

The barbs are brass and came from Ace hardware for $1.79 each. They are 1/4" mnpt threaded on one end and 1/4" hose barb on the other. I'll drill and tap the PVC pipe (bought the drill and tap at Ace too for around ($13), wrap the treads of the fitting with teflon tape and screw them right into the pipe. This is a pic I pulled off the web....the top one is the kind I used. They make these in plastic too.
    Got it! 1/4" barbs.

Tategoi
    Aquatic Ecosystem: part number VBR12 also works very well.

They also sell the tap for threading the hole -- part number BNT1. These have worked well for me thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    Aquatic Ecosystem: part number VBR12 also works very well.

They also sell the tap for threading the hole -- part number BNT1. These have worked well for me thus far.
    I never thought of using a 5/32" I.D. tubing, 1/8" MNPT, brass valve for a air lift barb.

What I ended up buying is a couple of TORO Funny Pipe Fitting 1/2" male adapters ($.79 ea.). The 1/2 pipe thread will be easy to connect to PVC thread and the 1/2" plastic hose barb is about the size I think I will need.

Tategoi
    Sounds like a good experiment, Rick.

Kent would be a much more knowledgable source on these matters, but I suspect (based on my very limited experiments) that a 1/2" barb might be a bit of an "overkill." The small threaded "airline" fittings do work well, and people have been adding multiple fittings (2-3) for larger diameter lift tubes (3-4"). I have not, however, seen anyone use a larger (i.e., 1/2") barbed inlet, so I might be surprised as to how it works. Please let us know of your thoughts when you get it operational.

I have tried and tried to get these pictures up but Bito doesn't like them. I will try once more tomorrow

Nice Cindy!

Looking forward to seeing how that new pump works!

Thanks! I got some more of the cosmetic stuff done this weekend. I also got the shower filter running, which feeds the waterfall. The bronze swan is a spitter and I won't bother hooking it up until spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New Air lift pond-img_1102-medium-.jpg   My New Air lift pond-img_1103-medium-.jpg   My New Air lift pond-img_1104-medium-.jpg  

Thanks! I got some more of the cosmetic stuff done this weekend. I also got the shower filter running, which feeds the waterfall. .
    What pump do you use for the shower filter?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast