Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Air lift pond

My New Air lift pond

I started this pond last year. I was very limited on space and had to squeeze the pond in between my existing pond and a retaining wall, but I am not planning on keeping more than 5 females in here so it will be OK. Total volume ended up being 4660 gallons. Here is the start of it. Total depth is 7' in the center, partially raised and partially below ground. The block wall is filled with concrete and rebar, with horizontal rebar every 3rd course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New Air lift pond-cimg6837small.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg6870small.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg6885small.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg6898small.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg6897small.jpg  

My New Air lift pond-cimg6900small.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg6942small.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg6943small.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg7382small.jpg  

so you are going to have it fiberglassed? Ah strike that you use foamboard like I do...

This pond will operate on airlifts. Here's a diagram of the filtration I worked out. Air will be injected into four - two inch pipes, 5' deep. There are two barbs per pipe so a total of 8 air inlets. Water gravity flows into the 275 gallon tote (which will act as a settling tank) and into a 55 gallon barrel that's located inside the tote. The water will flow down through filter mats. Below the filter mats are two 4" pipes that feed the fluidized bed. A 4" pipe carries water from the fluidized bed to the air lift header where it gravity flows back to the pond. The two return inlets enter the pond about 15" below water level. The end of the pipe is protected by some stainless rods that are embedded into a clear piece of hose, then adhered to the end of the pipe with that black polyurethane sealant stuff. The wood box is where the air lift header will be very soon.

The skimmer circuit will feed the shower filter, which will gravity flow back to the pond (the pipe isn't hooked up yet)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New Air lift pond-cimg7986medium.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg7984medium.jpg   My New Air lift pond-newpondfilters.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg7991-20-medium-.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg8000-20-medium-.jpg  

My New Air lift pond-cimg7994-20-medium-.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg7998-20-medium-.jpg   My New Air lift pond-cimg7997-20-medium-.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    so you are going to have it fiberglassed?
    no....too expensive. It's a liner pond.

I got most of the rock work done on the front of the pond in the last couple of weekends. I still need to set the flagstones on top and build the fence on the back side, which I hope to do this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New Air lift pond-img_1098-20-medium-.jpg   My New Air lift pond-img_1099-20-medium-.jpg   My New Air lift pond-img_1100-20-medium-.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    no....too expensive. It's a liner pond.

I got most of the rock work done on the front of the pond in the last couple of weekends. I still need to set the flagstones on top and build the fence on the back side, which I hope to do this weekend.
    That looks outstanding.

Thanks Amanda. It's a lot of work, but worth it. These are very difficult stones to work with. They are quartz, so they can't be cut. If you try to break them to the right size, you are left with a razor sharp edge. So I just had to keep looking in my stone pile (and around the yard, creek and ponds) to find just the right rock. They were free though, so I can't really complain too much.

I was going to show you the rock pile we "borrow" rocks out of from time to time. See there is some crazy farmers out on Reed Avenue that like to grow trees in the rockiest of soil. Its in a watershed area so no matter how many we take there will allways be plenty for the farmer... There was a real cute one of Sean in the act.

so lets see your rock pile! I love rocks....especially free ones. These rocks came from some property were my DH hunts. The property owner's ancestors used to farm the land and went through the fields with horse and wagon and removed all of the rocks. They have been piled up in the woods for a hundred years, just waiting for someone to need them! The flat rocks stacked at the back of the pond came from a fireplace. The old house had long since rotted away, leaving only the fireplace rocks and foundation rocks. Some of the rocks still have traces of soot on them.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    This pond will operate on airlifts. Here's a diagram of the filtration I worked out. Air will be injected into four - two inch pipes, 5' deep. There are two barbs per pipe so a total of 8 air inlets. Water gravity flows into the 275 gallon tote (which will act as a settling tank) and into a 55 gallon barrel that's located inside the tote. The water will flow down through filter mats. Below the filter mats are two 4" pipes that feed the fluidized bed. A 4" pipe carries water from the fluidized bed to the air lift header where it gravity flows back to the pond. The two return inlets enter the pond about 15" below water level. The end of the pipe is protected by some stainless rods that are embedded into a clear piece of hose, then adhered to the end of the pipe with that black polyurethane sealant stuff. The wood box is where the air lift header will be very soon.

The skimmer circuit will feed the shower filter, which will gravity flow back to the pond (the pipe isn't hooked up yet)
    If possible, I would be interested in seeing a picture of one of the 2" air lift pipes with the two barbs and a picture of insides of the settling tank with the leaf net.

I don't have the air lift header built yet or the leaf net, but I will get pics up just as soon as I have something more to show you. I can take pics of the inside of the tote tank though, with the barrel inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast