Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Would Like Design Help!

Sansai
    Grant in your post you said;
    "If that didn't work, I'd get some very strong lightweight rope and feed it down my skimmer line. Take apart the knife valve at the barrel or wherever it's convenient to really pull that rope and then tie a chimney cleaning brush (or similar) to the rope up at the skimmer. As snug a fit as you dare, but make sure you can get it out. Also, for safety's sake, I'd tie a rope on the other end of the brush so if you get stuck going down, you might be able to bring it back up. Then go down and start pulling.... Repeat for the other skimmer."
    I'm not sure that will help since if I take apart the knife valve the line to the skimmer will be open and draining the pond. If I drop the pond water level then taking apart the knife valve will completely drain the line and it will be full of air for sure. My main reason for not having already tried to run something through the line is all the 90's at the end. I'm afraid of things getting stuck and being in a worse position than I already am. Yeah I know I'm a fraidy cat! Maybe I will try first with a light fishing line with a float attached and pull a stronger line behind.

Gloria, do you have any pics showing the configuration inside the barrel without the springflow?

Sansai
    LOL I knew there was something I forgot! I just got back from pulling all the spring flow and the grate out of the barrel and doing 5 or six flushes. I also put the hose in the line from the barrel out to the pump both from the pump end and the barrel end. I was never able to negotiate the line so that the hose come out the other end. But I did not, alas take any pictures of the inside, not from any nefarious desire to hide anything mind you just because with all the flushing etc I was doing I was reluctant to risk my camera or phone in there. But if you look at the second picture in post #13 you see the inflow line from the skimmers. The outlet is at the same level on the opposite side. On the inside of the barrel there is a gray 90(electrical?) that points toward the bottom of the barrel at what I would estimate is a 45-60 degree angle. I removed the upflow pipe inside the barrel and did get some air burping but still am unable to run the pump wide open w/o throttling down the outflow valve. It is snowing here and all the pipes going into the pump house are insulated with bubble wrap. When it warms up I am going to remove all that stuff and see if I can dig down and lower that humpy place. It only appears to be 3-or4 inches of rise which is of course enough to allow air to nearly completely obstruct the pipe.
    Grant I will try the measurements again when the filter house is a little warmer ( where is my space heater, anyway?) and I have a little better light. I seemed to get a little improvement, but I need to be a bit more methodical to actually evaluate it properly. In any event there is still not enough water coming in to satisfy the amount the pump can pump out. So I still have a problem to solve.

Is this what it looks like inside the barrel?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would Like Design Help!-gloria.jpg  

Sansai
    I am not quite sure what the gray lines inside the barrel represent.

Sorry I did not realize I could enlarge that thumbnail, thought it only worked for pictures, my bad! It is pretty obvious when the thumbnail is enlarged!

The large one represents the 4" inlet, the smaller one is your 2" outlet to the pump.

Sansai
    Here is a drawing of the barrel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would Like Design Help!-skimmer-barrel.jpg  

Sansai
    Anybody have any experience with the Ultra Sieve III?

Sansai
    Hey Gloria, the Ultra Seive will flow more than a Cetus because of the lack of inlet restriction. The screens are about the same size.

Sansai
    Thanks, Kent! Do you think one Ultrasieve III could handle the flow from a 3 inch and 4 inch line that are flowing freely with only a couple of fittings on each?
    I haven't checked the prices on these but I have heard they are pricey!Tthere may still be a better and more economical way to do this. Any ideas?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast