Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Would Like Design Help!

Quote Originally Posted by GloriaL View Post
    Thanks, Kent! Do you think one Ultrasieve III could handle the flow from a 3 inch and 4 inch line that are flowing freely with only a couple of fittings on each?
    I haven't checked the prices on these but I have heard they are pricey!Tthere may still be a better and more economical way to do this. Any ideas?

Gloria,

I think the ultrasieve III is about 2000 dollars msrp. It is designed to handle the flow of 2 4 inch bottom drains and I think the specs are rated at a maximum of around 8500 gallons per hr.

You have to remember that the amount of water thru the sieve will be directily dependant upon how much water your pump is moving, because the water will be replaced as the pump lowers the water in the sieve.

Which brings you right back to the draw down question. If your piping is indeed your problem,,,changing your filtration will not help anything unless you change the piping. If you find your problem, then the way you are setup now will work just fine. Would the sieve be better? Sure, but is it cost effective? That is something you would have to decide.

I wanted sieves for my build but decided to go with settlement chambers because I wanted pump fed tprs instead of gravity fed.
    Member of IKONA
    Supporter of Koi Usa/AKCA

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by jtp79 View Post
    Gloria,

I think the ultrasieve III is about 2000 dollars msrp. It is designed to handle the flow of 2 4 inch bottom drains and I think the specs are rated at a maximum of around 8500 gallons per hr.

S
    o it seems that should nicely handle the flow from my two skimmers.

You have to remember that the amount of water thru the sieve will be directily dependant upon how much water your pump is moving, because the water will be replaced as the pump lowers the water in the sieve.

Which brings you right back to the draw down question. If your piping is indeed your problem,,,changing your filtration will not help anything unless you change the piping. If you find your problem, then the way you are setup now will work just fine. Would the sieve be better? Sure, but is it cost effective? That is something you would have to decide.

Yes I do realize I have to solve the flow problems in my skimmer lines and plan to explore the problems in a stepwise manner, starting with the easiest procedures first. We have had quite cold weather this week and I am waiting on warmer weather before I start playing in the water outside!
    I do want to get the rest of my plan figured out before I start cutting or moving pipe so the process can take place as quickly and painlessly ( am I living a dream?) as possible. Any other suggestions for the transition from skimmer pipes to pump to shower that anybody can come up with would be much appreciated!

I wanted sieves for my build but decided to go with settlement chambers because I wanted pump fed tprs instead of gravity fed.
    Depending on the trade offs the ultrasieve may be worth it in the long run, but it is pricey and I don't think that price includes shipping!. As I said any before any effective more economic solutions will be gladly entertained!

I am reconfiguring my skimmer circuit to run the flow thru my new shower and would like some help on the redesign. My current setup is as follows:
    8800 gallon pond, 2 large Savio skimmers, one with 3" outflow line, one with 4" outflow line(don't ask me I have no idea how they ended up that way!) The lines travel ~120 feet downhill to the filter house where they wye together into a single 4" line( restricting flow) that enters a 70 gallon barrel thru the bottom ending about halfway up the barrel. The barrel has an outflow that starts as a 4" 90* elbow 4-6 inches from the bottom of the barrel. This exits the barrel and is immediately dropped down to a 2" line which feeds my Performance Pro Artesian 1/2 -75 pump. a 2" line exits the pump and is up sized to a 3" line to my shower filter. I am having drawdown issues with this setup and have to close down the valve on my outflow line to keep from sucking the pump dry.
    This barrel is for gross mechanical filtration only.
    My current plan is to wye the 2 inflow lines into a 6" pipe to feed the barrel. I will minimize the length of 2" line before the pump and upsize he 2" outflow line to 4" immediately after the pump.
    My real issue is how to configure the in and out and waste lines in the barrel. I have no idea whether or how much the switch to the 6" line will increase my inflow.
    Presently I have 1 roll of springflo media crunched down in the bottom half of the barrel and it is a downflow type of filtration. My goal with the barrel is to catch the few leaves that make it past the skimmer along with the cedar/juniper needles that blow off the trees. I have a new barrel with no holes in it so any ideas are welcomed!! Thanks !
    I am lost!
    What exactly is the original problem that a $2000. Ultrasieve III is supposedly going to fix?

Sansai
    The problem is trying to get the maximal flow to my shower filter through my skimmer circuit.
    My current setup with skimmer lines feeding a barrel full of springflo which then feeds my pump has numerous problems including flow problems with the lines. My goal for whatever goes between the lines and the pump is for something to supply enough mechanical filtration to the skimmer water to allow me to remove the pads from my Savio skimmers and remove as much particulate matter as I can before pumping the water to the shower filter.
    I have a limited amount of space in my filter house in which to place this "something". I also plan on replacing some or all of the fittings from the lines to further decrease impediments to the water flow.

The problem is trying to get the maximal flow to my shower filter through my skimmer circuit.
    My current setup with skimmer lines feeding a barrel full of springflo which then feeds my pump has numerous problems including flow problems with the lines. My goal for whatever goes between the lines and the pump is for something to supply enough mechanical filtration to the skimmer water to allow me to remove the pads from my Savio skimmers and remove as much particulate matter as I can before pumping the water to the shower filter.
    I have a limited amount of space in my filter house in which to place this "something". I also plan on replacing some or all of the fittings from the lines to further decrease impediments to the water flow.
    It sounds like two problems to me.

1. The problem is trying to get the maximal flow to my shower filter through my skimmer circuit.

2. something to supply enough mechanical filtration to the skimmer water to allow me to remove the pads from my Savio skimmers and remove as much particulate matter as I can before pumping the water to the shower filter.

Are your Savio skimmers the problem or the pipe plumbing the problem or both?

Sansai
    Yes I guess that could be called two problems! But they are definitely intertwined.
    As i have said before I really don't think the skimmers themselves are the problem. There is no apparent drawdown from front to back or from pump off to pump on. I actually measured it and was unable to detect any visible change in levels. There is no vortexing in the skimmers. I have the large 16" weir. And I am not seen anything in any of the forums to indicate that Savios limit flow if the pads and baskets are clean. My pads are not actually in the water path due to a modification that put a four inch bulkhead in each one.
    There is an elevated portion of pipe that I will purge when the weather is more hospitable for playing in water outside. I also plan to try and alter the relative positions of the pipes with a little digging and shimming.
    As far as the sieve goes, with a 300 micron screen I should be able to eliminate the Savio filter pads and that would also give better mechanical filtration to the water being sent to the shower.

Oyagoi
    you said bulkhead in back of skimmer and no water goes through pads so my first and easiest step

take out the pads

can not be much room back there between bulkhead and pad so maybe a little water shortage available to go down pipe.

so easiest take out pads -chance they might not change but its easy

Oyagoi
    also when out there measure the opening part of bulkhead not the whole size of nut to turn but just the opening of the hole

Gloria,

You are wanting ideas for filtration. What is your total setup for your pond?

What does bottom drain configuration consist of? Depending on that,,,it comes back to Steve's reccomendation of the "system". This will help us determine what your skimmer circuit needs to do.

Sansai
    Thanks Paul and jtp. I won't have time to do much measuring today, a lot of commitments in other places. But I will get to that maybe tomorrow if we don't get that winter storm they are predicting here.
    My pond setup is rectangular on one end and somewhat rounded on the other end. Longest dimensions 23' x 15' x 5'10". Average dimensions about 20 x 13 x 5.5. It is a liner pond w/ a concrete collar dug into red clay. The sides are sloped at what I would guess is 75 degrees. I have measured the volume with the salt method and the bicarb method and got 8800 gallons +/- 75 gallons. I have two 4" Rhino II aerated bottom drains each to its own Cetus sieve to two 60 gallon moving beds. The water is returned to the pond via two Sequence 750 4200SEQ12 pumps.
    The returns are via a ~5 foot high 8 feet wide waterfall and two tpr's. The pond has been running in this configuration for 2 1/2 years. I have 17 koi in this pond ranging in size from a few 15-16 inchers to a few more 19-21 inchers to 5 that range from 22-25". For reference I measured the Kohaku at 23 inches in mid October.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would Like Design Help!-img_6448.jpg   Would Like Design Help!-img_6517.jpg   Would Like Design Help!-dsc05408.jpg   Would Like Design Help!-img_5533.jpg  

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast