Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making some pond changes!

Quote Originally Posted by hulsey View Post
    as far as my area to work with Im staying within the existing footprints shape due to the large amount of $ in the landscaping around it. so I dont have much room to work with going out, but down yes. my goal is just to have a clean and functional koi pond my wife and I can enjoy. I dont have show grade fish but I dont have walmart crap either. I bought all mine from a local breeder and they are all beautiful fish. The sides are straight down to the bottom with one planter shelf on the front side so it was easy to measure and get the volume. I dont plan on having but about 8-10 full size koi when its all done with. I have 2 bio filters, a crushed granite filter, a settling media tank, large uv light, and planning on installing bog filter for looks and filteration in this project. my water is perfect and crystal clear. Oh and Im not placing any rocks in the pond once the liner is in. phew lol anything else?
    Anything else? Take some pictures to share when you are done!

Nisai

pics and specs

can do! will be done over the next month or so but ill take plenty of vids and pics through it.

Crystal clear water does not mean you have good water. You would need to test the water for pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, hardness and alkalinity.

In 900 gallons, you shouldn't have more than 3-4 fish and that's being generous. As they grow, mother nature will thin them out to the correct stocking density for you if they're overcrowded.

A better option for you would be fancy goldfish and Shubunkins. They don't require the space that koi do.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you can only put so many koi in so many gallons.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Nisai

the new pond

well Im asking about pond construction tips not water tips sorry. I have all the strips to check everything in my water, everything is A-Ok. I realize I have too many fish and actually gave 6 away last night. But as I noted earlier my fish are small. like 1-2 year old small. the pond I have right now is good except for the leak, but thats why Im looking to fix that.

Tategoi
    High I just noticed that you mentioned strips....these little test strips are notorious for being inaccurate. If the bottle is left open the humidity in the air alone, can affect their performance. Invest in liquid drop type test kits.

Even though you're going to double your depth you're still only going to have the foot print of a 900 gallon pond and that's not very big. This should really restrict how many fish you put in there. You mention wanting 8 to 10 full size koi for this pond, due to the limited swimming space I wouldn't suggest anymore than 5 or 6 fish.

Fighting water quality in small spaces is no fun as many will attest to looking after winter holding tanks

Nisai

fish number

well how many fish per gallon are u saying here?

Tategoi
    A very simple rule of thumb is a pond no smaller than a 1000 gallons and then 250 gallons per fish and this is tight.

So if you double your pond gallon wise and not foot print wise then you've got around 2000 gallons, which would be 8 fish...but because you have such a small foot print... around 6 x 9'????...then the number of fish should be dropped....5 or 6 at best.

Nisai
    well I can make it deeper. the pond at its largest point is 13 long x 7 wide. in the shallow end its 4 wide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12