Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making some pond changes!

Nisai

making some pond changes!

I bought a house with a koi pond 2 years ago. The pond is 900 gallons with the deepest end being 2 foot deep. it is concrete oval pond with large lava rock boulders around the edge. It came with a interal pond pump and lots of filtration. BUT it has a leak. we have several koi in the pond now and they are growing, and the pond wont hold water past the half way point. so what were planning to do is take all the rocks away from the edge, bust the concrete out of the bottom, pipe in a bottom drain, install and external pump going to the existing filters. Also want to add a small bog filter pond(about 3 foot wide) above the existing pond to pour in. Now I do have some pond experience, several books, construction experience, the strong back and $$ to get this done but I wanted to know if there were any little tricks of the trade or problems some expert might know that Im for sure to walk into. So if you got anything please hit me with it. I can post pictures if needed. thanks

Nisai

deeper

btw I forgot to add, after busting out the bottom im going to make it deeper. 4 1/2 foot in the deep end. also instead of coming back with concrete im going to put in a liner.

Oyagoi
    everyone will want to know area you live in.how much room you have and just everything.goals of pond_just pond grade koi or show fish.

so far with what you posted you might not get much

and be raedy to read alot of stuff already posted on here.that is best start then have questions ready

Tategoi
    Hi, are you going to increase the foot print any?. I 900 gallon pond doesn't have a very big one and then to drop it down to 4 1/2' really isn't going to increase your water volume all that much.

For the amount of work your about to do why not really get that size up there

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi, are you going to increase the foot print any?. I 900 gallon pond doesn't have a very big one and then to drop it down to 4 1/2' really isn't going to increase your water volume all that much.

For the amount of work your about to do why not really get that size up there
    Percentage wise, increasing a pond depth from 2 feet to 4 1/2 feet can make a big difference.

I knew a person who had a limited area for a Koi pond and made his pond 6 feet deep with straight sides and limited pond bottom slope to drain.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Percentage wise, increasing a pond depth from 2 feet to 4 1/2 feet can make a big difference.

I knew a person who had a limited area for a Koi pond and made his pond 6 feet deep with straight sides and limited pond bottom slope to drain.
    Yes but having a deep pit isn't the best space for a 30'' fish

Exactly, Graham. They also need surface area for gas exchange.

Did you meter the water when you first filled the pond or are you guessing? Are the sides sloped or straight? What type of filtration are you going to use? How many fish do want to keep? Do you live in a very cold or very hot climate?

BD and skimmer are the 2 main things to start with and don't add rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Yes but having a deep pit isn't the best space for a 30'' fish
    Very true, but better than a shallow pit with the same surface area.

BTW: My friend with the 6 foot deep pond had a 30 inch Koi.
    Not the best situation, but the best he could do with the space available.

Nisai

more info

as far as my area to work with Im staying within the existing footprints shape due to the large amount of $ in the landscaping around it. so I dont have much room to work with going out, but down yes. my goal is just to have a clean and functional koi pond my wife and I can enjoy. I dont have show grade fish but I dont have walmart crap either. I bought all mine from a local breeder and they are all beautiful fish. The sides are straight down to the bottom with one planter shelf on the front side so it was easy to measure and get the volume. I dont plan on having but about 8-10 full size koi when its all done with. I have 2 bio filters, a crushed granite filter, a settling media tank, large uv light, and planning on installing bog filter for looks and filteration in this project. my water is perfect and crystal clear. Oh and Im not placing any rocks in the pond once the liner is in. phew lol anything else?

Nisai

location, location, location

I live in southeast texas. so no super cold winters here, just the occasional overnight freeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast