Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Help: Questions for plumbing wizards.

Fry

Help: Questions for plumbing wizards.

SPECS: 3" bottom drain to 4" line: 1.5 ft; 45 fitting; 3 ft; 90 sweep to vertical at 2 ft; 90 sweep to horizontal split...

into 2 vortex 55 barrels... then into single pre-filter... into bio filter...
    finally- 2 " outlet SEQ.3600 pump. All filters are 55 barrels. Spacing is tight.

QUESTIONS: Will gravity flow keep up with my pump? Do I need a 4' drain? What kind of drawdown should I expect? Never thought I would need that High School Math and wish I would have had this pond done in time for the San Diego Storm.

Thanks for any help. Much needed.

WAC
    Tosai
    1st, what's the general configuration after the pump? What will it be "feeding" (i.e. pressure filter, bead, S&G, shower, moving bed, etc.)?

2nd, which Sequence 3600 model?
    • 3600SEQ12 (750-series)
      • 8' of head loss after this model = 1860gph
      • ok w/3" bottom drain & would stand to benefit w/3" pipe line as well to keep up w/the velocity
    • 3600SEQ20 (4000-series)
      • 8' of head loss after this model = 2640gph
      • would be better w/4" bottom drain & keep 4" pipe line

Fry
    After pump is a 57 watt UV into 2" line with only 2ft rise to 33 gallon waterfall filter. The pump is the 750 series. I hope this will work as I'd hate to buy a new pump. What do you think about my gravity flow situation and drawdown with this? Thanks for the help.

QUESTIONS: Will gravity flow keep up with my pump? Do I need a 4' drain? What kind of drawdown should I expect? Never thought I would need that High School Math and wish I would have had this pond done in time for the San Diego Storm.
    Is all the pipe from the 3" bottom drain --> 2 vortex 55 barrels --> single pre-filter --> bio filter --> SEQ.3600 pump 4" plumbing?

Fry
    the bottom drain fits into a 3" to 4" adapter- all piping pre pump is 4 ". The bio barrel has a 2" outlet to the pump. I have mostly all this dry fitted or ready to assemble. Now is the time to correct any of my screw ups. Please don't be shy to straighten me out. This is the first pond over 400 gallons I've built.

MCA
    always put a ballvalue on the output of a water pump. That way you can adjust the output so that the pump does not outstrip the flow rate gravity can do through our filter system. Besides, many water pumps have best effeciency (gallons pumped for watts used) running at around 1/2 to 3/4 of max flow rate.

Fry
    Copy on the ball valve for the pump. I appreciate that tip/ advice. That sounds easy enough.

Are there any plumbers/ rocket surgeons out there that could give an answer to my original questions or have an equation for me to play with? Am I missing info needed to make this determination? Keep it coming folks.

Honmei
    Based on your description on the outlet side of your pump, you will be operating with less than 4' of head, your 750 series at 4' of head will give an output of around 2800 gph. Friction loss on the supply side is minimal.
    At this flow rate, through a 3" orriface (bottom drain), it will take between 1.3 and 1.4 inches of elevation head (gravity) to push that same amount of water through each transfer. If the two barrels are parallel then it would be about .6 to .7" drop per barrel. If in series then t=it is a 1.3 to 1.4" drop for each transfer or about a little less than a three inch drop total in the second barrel.

This is providing that the minimum diameter fitting/pipe is 3" since it is the smallest fitting in the line that sets the dynamic. Are the inlets to the barrels also 3" or greater? If the inlet is 2" like the outlet, then the following applies:

2" line will flow 942 gph per inch of drop. Thus, at the pump's 2800 gph you will have about a 3" drop per transfer. If in parrallel, then 1.5 inches in each and if in series, then 3" each for a total of 6" of draw down.

Edit: not only put a ball valve on the discharge side, but also on the supply side of the pump. This allows the pump to be isolated for maintenance. Oh, and add a drain to the bottom of the waterfall filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help: Questions for plumbing wizards.-se750cl.jpg  
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Fry

Smile

schildkoi!

That's the ticket! Thanks for the numbers. Yeah- the 3 inch drain starts the process with ALL piping/fittings/bulkheads at 4 inches. The last barrel has a 2 inch bulkhead/ pipe to the pump.

Your info was exactly what I need. Much thanks for your expertise!

Cheers