Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm trying to make a chamber type of filter system. Help please~

Nisai

I'm trying to make a chamber type of filter system. Help please~

Hi, I would like to upgrade my pond's filtration- something more permanent and easy to maintain via backflush. It is currently running on just a surface skimmer to a pressurized bead filter to a trickle tower...

I have been searching around the web and I'd like to make a concrete chamber system hooked up to a bottom drain. Does anyone have experience with making their own? Is it possible to do the concrete work alone or do I have to hire one of those concrete trucks? I'm guessing it will be around 3 feet wide and 8 feet long....

Please help, I'd like to get this done before I go off to college in the fall!

Sansai
    Did you want to form the walls and pour them or pour a floor and build it out of blocks? How big is you pond? It might be a lot easier to bury a plastic tank if all you need is the chamber and not a filter pit. There are much better options than building a concrete tank!

Quote Originally Posted by poisonXvenom View Post
    Hi, I would like to upgrade my pond's filtration- something more permanent and easy to maintain via backflush. It is currently running on just a surface skimmer to a pressurized bead filter to a trickle tower...

I have been searching around the web and I'd like to make a concrete chamber system hooked up to a bottom drain. Does anyone have experience with making their own? Is it possible to do the concrete work alone or do I have to hire one of those concrete trucks? I'm guessing it will be around 3 feet wide and 8 feet long....

Please help, I'd like to get this done before I go off to college in the fall!
    A lot depends on YOU and how well you can work with concrete.

It is possible to do the concrete work alone, but some knowledge of concrete work is much desired.

You could use mortarless concrete blocks and grout them solid and stucco the inside.

My best advice for amateur concrete builders (myself included) is to use a swimming pool trowel, which makes it is easier to get a smooth finish.

do I have to hire one of those concrete trucks?
    No, you can use U-Cart and/or mix your own concrete by hand or with a rented mixer.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    A lot depends on YOU and how well you can work with concrete.

It is possible to do the concrete work alone, but some knowledge of concrete work is much desired.

You could use mortarless concrete blocks and grout them solid and stucco the inside.

My best advice for amateur concrete builders (myself included) is to use a swimming pool trowel, which makes it is easier to get a smooth finish.

Thank You for your post ricshaw! This gives me some hope that I might actually go for it... My dad said theres a method of making sort of a box frame and basically placing it inside the spot that was dug. and pour concrete mix on the sides and carefully hammer the wood out when the concrete solidifies... It sounds logical but doesn't seem to be the safest method..

Is that picture you posted for a pond?? If so, how is it doing? any leak problems? I'm just afraid of not having enough prepared concrete to do it on the spot to stucco the whole thing, or can you do it over a long period of time?

I'm planning on having a system where first chamber is sort of a settling chamber. next the brushes chamber, next filter mats, next k1 media beds, and then a pump chamber....

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    Did you want to form the walls and pour them or pour a floor and build it out of blocks? How big is you pond? It might be a lot easier to bury a plastic tank if all you need is the chamber and not a filter pit. There are much better options than building a concrete tank!
    I'm not sure what I'll be doing.. in fact I have no clue what's best... My pond is roughly 3,500 gallons. I don't think a plastic tank will do because I want multiple chambers not just one. Have you had any experience with concrete??

Meg
    8x3x?
    gravity flow?
    is the pond raised or ground level?
    your dad is right, you could frame and pour the walls, or use cinder block or use a plastic tank. it is all about money, space and what you have avaliable.
    time to get out the drawing board, and read thought the diy builds posted in the forum

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    8x3x?
    gravity flow?
    is the pond raised or ground level?
    your dad is right, you could frame and pour the walls, or use cinder block or use a plastic tank. it is all about money, space and what you have avaliable.
    time to get out the drawing board, and read thought the diy builds posted in the forum
    8x3x around 2 feet, at most 3.
    Yes I want to connect a bottom drain from the main pond.
    The pond is raise about a 1.5 ft
    I want more of a permanent establishment for the long run, so I do not want a plastic tank. The main reason I'm doing this is for the ease of maintenance for my dad, since I will be gone to college the upcoming fall.

If I were to use cinderblocks? How would I make it waterproof? Im guessing I would have to first make a flat concrete floor with the grafity fed pipe embedded? Then should I build the cinderblock walls? What do I do afterwards? Just grout the seams?

If I were to use cinderblocks? How would I make it waterproof?
    The cheapest, old-school way, is to "stucco" (or plaster) the inside with a 50/50 mix of cement and silica sand.

Meg
    Ric is that the same as when a swimming pool is plastered? and do you need to then paint or seal it with something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast