Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Digging Tips

Fry

Digging Tips

QUERY:

Other than making sure I've got plenty of ibuprofen and lineament, are there any secrets to digging out a pond. It seems straightforward. The present plan is to just go straight down almost 7' feet (w/ just a bit of rounding at the bottom and a 2" incline to the two drains) and pray it doesn't rain for a week or so.

As for the pvc and air pipes, I'm going to dig a perfectly straight trench about 12" to 18" wide from the corner of the pond directly to the filter pit. I'll try and set the depth so that all the lines can have a steady rise (approx. 12") from the pond directly into the Cetus inflow.

I'll dig the filter pit (using cinder blocks for the walls) so that it's deep enough to have the top of the Cetus Sieve 2.362" above water level. I'll also have room for a bottom drain that will lead out to my yard. I'll make room for the rest of the equipment (water pumps, air pump, Bead Filter and UV), but most likely no more than 12" below pond level. In other words not as deep as the bottom of the Cetus -- which will be set in a pit within the pit. The Shower will be raised approximately 12" above pond level on a cinder block or concrete platform.

If I'm missing anything please let me know.

Phil

what kind of liner are you using? How are you reinforcing the walls? You can't just dig a 7' deep hole and turn it into a pond....the walls will cave in at some point. I built concrete block walls in all of my ponds, no matter how deep or shallow they are.

Meg
    here is the plan Cindy....
    Phil's Koi Pond Experiment
    might be easier to follow if kept on one thread.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    what kind of liner are you using? How are you reinforcing the walls? You can't just dig a 7' deep hole and turn it into a pond....the walls will cave in at some point. I built concrete block walls in all of my ponds, no matter how deep or shallow they are.
    Cindy,

I'm glad Meg provided the main thread. She's right that it might have been easier to keep it all on one thread. I started a second, though, because I got so little feedback on my first one.

In any event, as you can see it's going to be lined w/ shotcrete. After two days, I'm almost half way there (3' down and counting).

Phil