Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surface Skimmer

Surface Skimmer

Here's my surface skimmer fitted on all my ponds . The efficiencies of the surface skimmer has got to do with the gravitational water displacement theory here . The output of the water to main pond has to be in line with the number of drainages incorporated in the pond design .

For keepers using floating pallets , such surface skimmer has to be tilted or lip lifted out of the water surface to prevent floating pallets from being drawn in . The elbow can't be glued to allow such play . For guys using auto feeders , it's recommended to be using sinking pallets if such surface skimmer is in place .

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Here's my surface skimmer fitted on all my ponds . The efficiencies of the surface skimmer has got to do with the gravitational water displacement theory here . The output of the water to main pond has to be in line with the number of drainages incorporated in the pond design .

For keepers using floating pallets , such surface skimmer has to be tilted or lip lifted out of the water surface to prevent floating pallets from being drawn in . The elbow can't be glued to allow such play . For guys using auto feeders , it's recommended to be using sinking pallets if such surface skimmer is in place .

David
    Looks like it would not work on my pond where small fish and large leaves could get caught in skimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Looks like it would not work on my pond where small fish and large leaves could get caught in skimmer.
    You're right brother , such surface skimmer not meant for ponds with smaller fishes . Some of the keepers running with such skimmers often find smaller fishes in their settlement chambers . It's not meant for keepers with water plants as well ... it can draw all the floating plants to one corner of the pond where the skimmer is ....

David

Nisai
    Did you connect that just using a bulkhead? Is your pond concrete? Man I wish I redid my pond. I've learned so much afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by poisonXvenom View Post
    Did you connect that just using a bulkhead? Is your pond concrete? Man I wish I redid my pond. I've learned so much afterwards...
    Not a concrete pond . My ponds were all built with bricks and held together by cement and some steel-bars . The surface skimmer was simply an addition in the pond design to facilitate the surface cleaning .
    It's not a bulkhead fitting you see here . It's simply a 4inches PVC pipe that was place about 12 inches below the water level and it link the main pond to the 1st settlement chamber during pond construction . From here , it's just another 90 deg elbow , followed by the 4 inches PVC pipe to extend it above the water level . 6 to 4 inches PVC reducer was what you see at the skimmer opening , which makes the skimmer looks like a trumpet ...

Doesn't cost much to have such surface skimmer incorporated in a pond design . 2 feet length of 4 inches PVC pipe - 2 dollars , 1x4 inches 90 deg elbow - usd 1.80 , 6 to 4 inches reducer - usd 3.00 .

David

Nice simple design brother!

My only concern would be the fish getting spooked by my kids/dog and then running into the plumbing. Usually my luck is if something CAN go wrong... it will!

I used standard swimming pool skimmers and made up some soft rubber bars to put across the mouth to keep the koi from chasing a pellet into the skimmer.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Nice simple design brother!

My only concern would be the fish getting spooked by my kids/dog and then running into the plumbing. Usually my luck is if something CAN go wrong... it will!

I used standard swimming pool skimmers and made up some soft rubber bars to put across the mouth to keep the koi from chasing a pellet into the skimmer.

Grant
    Indeed Brother Grant

Most ponds or farms I visited normally have the round grated cover placed over the skimmer to prevent smaller fishes from jumping in I presume !!

Will probably use the grated cover if I would to be keeping smaller fishes for my ponds ...

David

Nice design! I think I'd make a guard to go over it though. You could probably use a rubber fernco cap with the center cut out, and some stainless rods inserted into the opening. I had a similar skimmer design in one of my ponds once and was pretty amazed that a chagoi decided to jump in there and down the pipe. I didn't even realize it had happened until I found her in the filter barrel, with a few scrapes and bumps from her trip down the pipe and through the two elbows. I am still not sure how she even fit!

Oyagoi
    there is a grated cap with slots that could be attached to keep small koi out but will be good for only inside ponds that will not have leaves and such to plug the openings

Dear All ,

Today , 9th March 2011 , marks a new beginning for some of my fishes as they will be introduced to my renovated pond . This pond measure 2.6 meter wide , 8.3 meter long and 0.75 meter deep , while the filteration stands at 1.6 meter wide , 8.3 meter long and 0.75 meter deep . This is my pond with the highest turnover ( approximately 4 cycles an hour ) .

Whole pond was running with media and water since it was completed and the first round of water was flushed out last weekend . The refilled fresh water was treated with anti-cholrine and anti chloromine . Salinated to 0.2 pct to buffer against ammonia / nitrite spiking . Oxygenated to 10ppm with pH tested at 8.1 ( stocking will bring down the pH level here ) .

Besides the surface skimmer , there's also another overflow skimmer opposite the surface skimmer , which directs water out of the pond straight to the drain . That overflow skimmer is for skimming the oily film on the surface if any .

"Water" prepared , full system geared , Skylar's Pond will be another growing pond .

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast