Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to build and finish my pond.

Fry

How to build and finish my pond.

Hello All,

I'm sure this has been posted and asked many times, so please be easy on me. My son and I have started to build a Koi pond and we are currently on hold due to inexperience. We have a hole dug out that is 10 x 10 and 4 feet deep. I have bought a 20 x 20 pond liner that is EPMD .45.

The issue is we are not sure what we need to buy next: I'm looking to buy a pond pump and filter combo and place it at the bottom, then a second filter outside of the pond, then connect a UV Clarifier to that and then start a waterfall to recycle water back into the pond.

So please tell me what I am doing wrong/right and what I NEED to do.

Thank You All,
    Michael

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is not going to work for koi.

You need a bottom drain going to a filter, you need a skimmer and a submersible pump is going to be more work than you want.

In this size pond, if the sides are straight, you'll have about 3000 gallons, enough water for about 6 koi, with very good filtration. A pump/filter combo is not going to be enough filtration for koi and you'll be pulling it out of the pond at least once a day to clean it in the summer.

Before you go any further (I'm glad you stopped for help), read the pond construction forum. There are many good ideas there. Since you are obviously a DIY'er, look at the DIY builds and get some ideas. There are very easy ways to build your own filters and if done properly, work just as well as store bought, expensive filters.

Welcome to the Board. Your journey is just beginning.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Fry
    Wow, thank you so much, you gave me the best advice so far. Yes I am a DIY and yes I thought the pumps would be enough. I was really not wanting to install a bottom drain, are there any other options? I will check out the other forum threads and hopefully find an answer to my problems.

Michael

Yes, there are other options but you will not like them as they involve hours of maintenence on your part. A bottom drain works for you 24 hours a day. Make your pond work for you, not vice versa.

Raymond.

As others have said, you must have a bottom drain in a koi pond. Koi are very dirty fish and with no bottom drain, all of their waste will sit in the bottom of the pond until you manually vacuum it out. It's basically the same as forcing them to live in a toilet. With a bottom drain, all of their waste is removed from the pond almost instantly and pulled to the filter, creating a much healthier environment for the koi and a much more attractive pond. Why are you reluctant to put one in? It's very easy to do. Here's a link that shows you how, step by step. Bottom Drain Installation

Also....you mentioned your pond is 4' deep. What do you have supporting the walls? Can you post a photo of what you have dug so far so we can see what needs to be done?

The humble gravity fed bottom drain is the single greatest technological innovation in the entire history of closed, re-circulating ponding.

It not only allows for the removal of solids from the pond 24/7 (so they can be easily flushed to waste), but it physically removes filtration from the pond, thereby allowing settlement, mechanical filtration and bio-conversion to be sequentially performed before returning clean, healthy water to the pond.

Best wishes,

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    As others have said, you must have a bottom drain in a koi pond. Koi are very dirty fish and with no bottom drain, all of their waste will sit in the bottom of the pond until you manually vacuum it out. It's basically the same as forcing them to live in a toilet. With a bottom drain, all of their waste is removed from the pond almost instantly and pulled to the filter, creating a much healthier environment for the koi and a much more attractive pond. Why are you reluctant to put one in? It's very easy to do. Here's a link that shows you how, step by step. Bottom Drain Installation

Also....you mentioned your pond is 4' deep. What do you have supporting the walls? Can you post a photo of what you have dug so far so we can see what needs to be done?
    I am very knew to this and that's why I come to yo all for answers. I'm not so much against the bottom drain, I just didn't want a eye sore of equipment in my back yard. I visited a guy about a month ago and he had some equipment to sell me, but I was turned off by this huge settlement chamber he had and he told me that I had to dig a hole in the ground to have something catch the Kois waste and also a bottom drain to go with it. I will install a bottom drain, but what has to come next after the bottom drain? I am very sorry for being so confused, I just want to make this right.

Let me see if I have this right: Bottom Drain is installed and I have to cut a hole into my liner and install and seal it. After the drain I have to plumb up to the Bio-Filter, after the filter I have to install a UV Clarifier and than a waterfall to complete the cycle. I'm sure I'm missing a few things so please direct me where I need to go.

I live in Tucson, Az. so the weather is not a problem, just digging is an issue.

I want to thank everyone who is helping me through this project. Consider yourself helping a 18 year Air Force Rescue member.

Thank You
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TAGS70 View Post
    I am very knew to this and that's why I come to yo all for answers. I'm not so much against the bottom drain, I just didn't want a eye sore of equipment in my back yard. I visited a guy about a month ago and he had some equipment to sell me, but I was turned off by this huge settlement chamber he had and he told me that I had to dig a hole in the ground to have something catch the Kois waste and also a bottom drain to go with it. I will install a bottom drain, but what has to come next after the bottom drain? I am very sorry for being so confused, I just want to make this right.

Let me see if I have this right: Bottom Drain is installed and I have to cut a hole into my liner and install and seal it. After the drain I have to plumb up to the Bio-Filter, after the filter I have to install a UV Clarifier and than a waterfall to complete the cycle. I'm sure I'm missing a few things so please direct me where I need to go.

I live in Tucson, Az. so the weather is not a problem, just digging is an issue.

I want to thank everyone who is helping me through this project. Consider yourself helping a 18 year Air Force Rescue member.

Thank You
    Michael
    Which is a worst eye sore, some pond filtration equipment in the back yard or a filthy algae green pond that you cannot see the fish in?

The warm weather in Arizona is a problem. Warm weather and plenty of sun light increases the problem of algae green water.

You need to decide now, do you want a pond for Koi, or do you want a waterscape feature without fish and filtration equipment.

If you eliminate the fish and ugly filtration equipment, you can use chlorine to keep the water looking clear.

It depends on you if you want the filtration equipment seen or hidden. My entire filtration setup is enclosed in the building.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
    It depends on you if you want the filtration equipment seen or hidden.
    My entire filtration setup is enclosed in the building.
    I have seen separate "pump houses" which concealed the pond pump and filters made to look like cute little old western buildings, etc.

My front pond pump and filters are hidden under a deck and in the garage.

My back pond filter is behind a fence.

My spa pump and filter are located away from the spa, but visible, in the corner of the yard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast