Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Streamflow design questions

  1. #1
    Fry
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5

    Streamflow design questions

    I'am going to design a new koi pond.
    And I like the streamflow and zen concept. But I'm very new to these concepts

    I have made a little design but I have some questions about it.

    1. What is the best place for the skimmer, on the deepest side or on the bakki shower side?

    2. what about the bottom. What is the best sloping to?

    3. For the retour wather on what deepest are the best.

    Sorry for my bad english.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Streamflow design questions-design-1.jpg  

  2. #2
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by sjnelle View Post
    I'am going to design a new koi pond.
    And I like the streamflow and zen concept. But I'm very new to these concepts
    I have made a little design but I have some questions about it.
    1. What is the best place for the skimmer, on the deepest side or on the bakki shower side?
    2. what about the bottom. What is the best sloping to?
    3. For the retour wather on what deepest are the best.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    I think your attached diagram answers your questions.


  3. #3
    Fry
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5
    The diagram is my own design the way I think its the best but I don't know

    But what about these questions:

    2. what about the bottom. What is the best sloping to?

    3. For the retour wather on what deepest are the best.

  4. #4
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by sjnelle View Post
    The diagram is my own design the way I think its the best but I don't know

    But what about these questions:

    2. what about the bottom. What is the best sloping to?
    You already know that the bottom drain should slope towards the bottom drain.
    Usually the pond bottom slopes away from the waterfall.

    3. For the retour wather on what deepest are the best.
    Not sure I understand.
    Are you asking how deep should the mid-pond drain be?
    How deep should the pond be where return water enters the pond?

  5. #5
    Fry
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    You already know that the bottom drain should slope towards the bottom drain.
    Usually the pond bottom slopes away from the waterfall.
    The question is how much slope is needed per meter


    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Not sure I understand.
    Are you asking how deep should the mid-pond drain be?
    How deep should the pond be where return water enters the pond?
    I'm asking how deep the return water enters the pond.

  6. #6
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by sjnelle View Post
    The question is how much slope is needed per meter
    The more the better.
    I am guessing at least 10 cm per meter.

    The larger the fish, the less slope needed to move sediment to the drain.

    I'm asking how deep the return water enters the pond.
    ???

    Usually the return water enters the pond from "above" the walls of the pond.
    How much aeration vs. splashing water noise and surface ripples is really up to the individual.

  7. #7
    Fry
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post

    ???

    Usually the return water enters the pond from "above" the walls of the pond.
    How much aeration vs. splashing water noise and surface ripples is really up to the individual.
    The return water from the bakki shower enters the from above

    but in the design the water from the bottemdrain goes trough the bead filter en goes back through mid water returns.

    This is because the cold winters here and it is not possible to have a bakki shower the whole year

    What are the best deepest for the mid water returns?

  8. #8
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by sjnelle View Post

    What are the best deepest for the mid water returns?
    That will depend on if the returns are "jets" (venturi air jets) or just water inlets.

    If venturi air jets, then depth will have an effect on the performance.

    I do not think the return depth is that critical.

Similar Threads

  1. Ryan's Totorri Onishi Streamflow Pond System
    By Lam Nguyen in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM
  2. tank design
    By kingkong in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM
  3. Would Like Design Help!
    By GloriaL in forum Pond Construction
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 10:32 AM
  4. Pond Design
    By jimfish98 in forum Pond Construction
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 09:23 AM
  5. Onishi Streamflow System Design
    By Flounder in forum Pond Construction
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 03:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com