Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pond Design

Pond Design

After my last post, its responses, and a long convo with one of the best pond builders around, I have gotten a better idea on what I would like to do. The basics are still there...4 by 4 post walls, well reinforced on a cinderblock base with gravel to avoid prolonged exposure at the base to moisture. This will be 12ft long, 8ft wide, 4ft deep. This will give a rough 2900 gallons. Water will be pulled through a skimmer and bottom drain. Water will run through an Evolution ES 5500gph pump with priming pot/trap. I am unsure on the filter. I see a Fishmate 9000gal with 36w UV but i am not sure how well of a filter it is. Water would then return to the pond two ways. The first will be a series of pressure heads on one end to create a small swimming current. The second will go to a trough on top of the pond that will be the 12ft length and contain three spaced water falls. The trough will be lined and contain Siporax, Calcium Reactor Media, gravel, and some small plants. Thoughts? Suggestions on the filter? Suggestions on the design?

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
    After my last post, its responses, and a long convo with one of the best pond builders around, I have gotten a better idea on what I would like to do. The basics are still there...4 by 4 post walls, well reinforced on a cinderblock base with gravel to avoid prolonged exposure at the base to moisture. This will be 12ft long, 8ft wide, 4ft deep. This will give a rough 2900 gallons. Water will be pulled through a skimmer and bottom drain. Water will run through an Evolution ES 5500gph pump with priming pot/trap. I am unsure on the filter. I see a Fishmate 9000gal with 36w UV but i am not sure how well of a filter it is. Water would then return to the pond two ways. The first will be a series of pressure heads on one end to create a small swimming current. The second will go to a trough on top of the pond that will be the 12ft length and contain three spaced water falls. The trough will be lined and contain Siporax, Calcium Reactor Media, gravel, and some small plants. Thoughts? Suggestions on the filter? Suggestions on the design?
    By itself, I do not think that the Fishmate 9000 gal. with 36w UV, dimensions: L x W x H = 445 x 400 x 625mm (17.5” x 15.75” x 24.5”), has a big enough biological filter for a 2900 gallon Koi pond.

It would be nice if you cold install some type of settlement after the bottom drain so the fish poop isn't getting chewed up by the pump. You may get by with a 55 gallon barrel set up for settlement. Will there be a skimmer?

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    By itself, I do not think that the Fishmate 9000 gal. with 36w UV, dimensions: L x W x H = 445 x 400 x 625mm (17.5” x 15.75” x 24.5”), has a big enough biological filter for a 2900 gallon Koi pond.

Any suggestions?

Water will be pulled through a skimmer and bottom drain.
    I am not planning a settlement tank, vortex, etc. I will have a skimmer and bottom drain to pump with basket, then to filter then to pond. If the filter has no UV, then a UV will be input as well. Following the Evolution ES 5500, I may go with the Evolution 6000 for a filter, then adding the UV after that.

Any suggestions?
    Add more "surface area" (media) for bacteria to grow.

You said that some of the water would "go to a trough on top of the pond that will be the 12ft length and contain three spaced water falls. The trough will be lined and contain Siporax, Calcium Reactor Media, gravel, and some small plants."

Tells us more (in detail) about the "Siporax, Calcium Reactor Media, and gravel."

I may go with the Evolution 6000 for a filter, then adding the UV after that.
    You are moving in the right direction.

There are several designs that you can purchase, and there are several DIY designs you can make. If I was to purchase one, I would be looking at something like the Eazy Pod here is the link Nexus Eazy - Nexus Eazy Pod - Airtech Air Pumps - Eazy Pod Air - Sequence Pumps - Perfect Pumps

If I was to build a DIY filter well that is a different story. You have a wide variety of containers that you can use from rubber or plastic totes, 55 gal. drums, 250 gallon liquid containers, I forgot to mention you can build your own filter container so that means any size or shape imaginable. I would start with container that can fit up to 1/3 of your water surface volume. That is about 250 US gallons for your pond. Then you need to know where to put it, how to plumb it, and what to use as filter media.
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

Nisai
    I was hoping to quietly follow along behind the scenes. Shhh, you'll never know I'm here.

Thanks.

Meg
    You said that some of the water would "go to a trough on top of the pond that will be the 12ft length and contain three spaced water falls. The trough will be lined and contain Siporax, Calcium Reactor Media, gravel, and some small plants."

Tells us more (in detail) about the "Siporax, Calcium Reactor Media, and gravel."
    yes, and I would hope he has plans on how to clean out this filter as matainance and ease there of will determine long term how well this works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast