Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: New pond and absolutely no idea what to do...

flagstone around the side would look really nice, I like the look of that second pic with the three drops, I really want to do something like that when I do My big Koi pond.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    I went by the local pond store this week to get some more ideas. It appears that the flagstone around the top of the pond is cemented together. Does that sound like the best way to do this?
    Not if you are building a temporary pond.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Not if you are building a temporary pond.
    The 5 gallon bucket for a filter is temporary, Not the pond.
    I did get my trash can installed, but I need to fine tune a few things. First is the drain cover. The smallest pieces of debris block it pretty good.

This will allow me to do away with the 5 gallon bucket and the eyesore white pvc in the middle of the pond.

I like the look of flagstone around the edge of the pond, but I wasn't thinking I would have to cement it together. I don't know exactly what I was thinking. I guess I need to do some more research now.

Nisai
    I spent a few minutes on the filter this weekend.

Meg
    \

Essentially, to utilize this effectively, I need to focus on goldfish and plants rather than koi.

I say that two fold, A: I doubt my 6 yr old appreciates the difference between the two and B: I doubt my wife lets me put in a koi pond instead of a family pool.
    looking back over this thread and finding this post of your, seeing what you are building, watching your interest grow as you learn.....
    I am thinking if built it right, your wife can enjoy the koi pond the few times a year she wants to take a dip.

Nisai
    I spent a few minutes on the filter this weekend.

I need to re-think my filtration. My sponge filter on the pump intake continues to get clogged up. Because it is at the very bottom of my trash can, I have to remove everything to get to it. This is not practical at all.

simple fix, take the pump out and pump down into the bottom and over flow back out where the water is going in now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New pond and absolutely no idea what to do...-gen.iitrashmaster-003.jpg   New pond and absolutely no idea what to do...-gen.iitrashmaster-004.jpg   New pond and absolutely no idea what to do...-gen.iitrashmaster-005.jpg   New pond and absolutely no idea what to do...-gen.iitrashmaster-007.jpg  

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin4cars View Post
    simple fix, take the pump out and pump down into the bottom and over flow back out where the water is going in now.
    Yeah, I don't follow you.

You are asking me to pump out and gravity feed back into the pond rather than gravity out and pump back into the pond?

yea, pretty much. You may have to raise it just slightly but everything you have already would work. The only problem would be the water fall. may have to add a pump to do the water fall but that would sure beat rebuilding a whole complete filter.

Nisai
    That would mean that I am not utilizing the bottom drain in the pond that I have which feeds the filter.

I'm not sure that is the route I want to take either. I like the idea of using a bottom drain.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast