Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New pond and absolutely no idea what to do...

Since your pond is small and you are not trying to flow a lot, a 2" line might work for gravity flow, but it is borderline. A 2" pipe can flow appx 900 gph. But if the grating gets blocked at all, the flow will be reduced and the pump will end up running dry. As long as you turn over the pond at least 1.5 times per hour, you could probably get by with a smaller pump, such as a 600gph mag drive. I use a 3" supply line on my QT because I am running an 1800 gph pump. With enough plants and a light load, you may not need a UV at all.

You can get dechlorinator at any pet store or walmart. You can add plants right away. You can really add fish right away too (after dechlorinating), and you should because the bio-filter needs fish (and the ammonia from their waste) to begin building a good bio-conversion process. Just keep your initial stocking level low and watch for ammonia. So you will want to get a good test kit. Tetra makes a nice one that costs only around $15. Use the kit that has drops and test tubes, not the test strips. Plan on doing a 10" water change per week, and make sure you dechlor the new water you add.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Is a 5 gallon bucket big enough to allow solids to settle?

I would think you would need at least a 55 gallon barrel to make a small vortex settling filter.

See:
    "Vortex chambers should be as large as possible. I recommend at least 48 inches in diameter by 66 inches deep with a conical shaped bottom"

DIY barrel settling tank.
    This 5 gallon bucket vortex is on a less than 300 gallon goldfish pond. I would not use this on my bigger koi pond. This is a test filtration system.

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    This 5 gallon bucket vortex is on a less than 300 gallon goldfish pond. I would not use this on my koi ponds.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Since your pond is small and you are not trying to flow a lot, a 2" line might work for gravity flow, but it is borderline. A 2" pipe can flow appx 900 gph. But if the grating gets blocked at all, the flow will be reduced and the pump will end up running dry. As long as you turn over the pond at least 1.5 times per hour, you could probably get by with a smaller pump, such as a 600gph mag drive. ...
    By the time I calculate head loss into my pump, I won't be close to 950 gph. Plus, I can install a ball valve to reduce output as well, if need be.

2 more questions: How much evaporation should I expect? Will I need to top off daily or weekly?

Should I be concerned with a skimmer at this time?

Thanks again.

Nisai
    I lied, I have a lot of questions!

Where should my full water mark be on the tank? Should I allow 1" from the top of the tank, or 6"? Will the fish try to jump out? Or should I allow a safety margin for large rains? Is there a rule of thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    By the time I calculate head loss into my pump, I won't be close to 950 gph. Plus, I can install a ball valve to reduce output as well, if need be.

2 more questions: How much evaporation should I expect? Will I need to top off daily or weekly?

Thanks again.
    Add water as needed, due to the size you probably do not need a skimmer. You might want to get some bird netting to go over the top of the tank incase you have jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    If the water is moving slow enough it should be, shouldn't it?

Thanks again.
    evaporation depends on temperature and sun exposure. You will just need to top off what evaporates, but also do weekly water changes.

Don't worry about a skimmer. Although an overflow pipe installed through the side wall and then 90s up to the surface will solve two problems...it can act as a skimmer when you top the pond off and it will also be an overflow pipe so the excess water can be disposed of instead of letting it just flow over the sides.

Will you be using the screen on the drain or leave it with no screen? With a screen, it will clog fast, especially if have plants in there. I'd get one of those minnow trap things I posted earlier and invert it over the drain (without the grate) so it won't clog easily.

I lied, I have a lot of questions!

Where should my full water mark be on the tank? Should I allow 1" from the top of the tank, or 6"? Will the fish try to jump out? Or should I allow a safety margin for large rains? Is there a rule of thumb?
    Do you get alot of rain during the summer? If so then have a safety margin, or read CG's post just before this one and install a overflow pipe. Use bird netting to keep the fish in.

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    If the water is moving slow enough it should be, shouldn't it?
    In theory yes, but the GPH pond turnover flow rate is going to exceed the slow rotary flow needed for proper settling.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast