Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New pond and absolutely no idea what to do...

I think the rule of thumb I read is that a settling tank should be large enough that the water's dwell time is 15 minutes. So a 900 gph flow rate would need 60 gallons of settling tank to work right (900/15=60). 5 gallons would be good enough for a 75 gph pump.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    I think the rule of thumb I read is that a settling tank should be large enough that the water's dwell time is 15 minutes. So a 900 gph flow rate would need 60 gallons of settling tank to work right (900/15=60). 5 gallons would be good enough for a 75 gph pump.
    A settling tank...like a septic system? Solids settle, allowing supposedly clean water to overflow out the field lines?

Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    A settling tank...like a septic system? Solids settle, allowing supposedly clean water to overflow out the field lines?
    Forget vortex and settling tank, it does not apply to your project.

If you are interested "Google" vortex filter to learn more.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Forget vortex and settling tank, it does not apply to your project.

If you are interested "Google" vortex filter to learn more.
    That's one part I understand..." It does not apply to your project"

Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    yep..pretty much the same thing. You don't need one for your project.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    In theory yes, but the GPH pond turnover flow rate is going to exceed the slow rotary flow needed for proper settling.
    Is there any specific information on the flow rate needed for a vortex of any size, or is it a matter of just sizing it up and making a determination?

Even if the thing is inefficient and catches only 10% of the solids, it is better than nothing. I would think scale would be a big factor as well. This pond won't be turning over a lot of water, so there will be some slow movement.

One of the main goals of this project is to learn how to make this sort of thing on a small scale before spending a lot of money on materials and finding out she doesn't have the slightest idea of how to make it. To date, her vortex has cost about 35$ in materials, so it isn't bad. So ultimately, even if it simply doesn't work, it has served a purpose and if it does work, then that's a darn good thing.
    Sean Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by DrCreosote View Post
    Is there any specific information on the flow rate needed for a vortex of any size, or is it a matter of just sizing it up and making a determination?

Even if the thing is inefficient and catches only 10% of the solids, it is better than nothing. I would think scale would be a big factor as well. This pond won't be turning over a lot of water, so there will be some slow movement.

One of the main goals of this project is to learn how to make this sort of thing on a small scale before spending a lot of money on materials and finding out she doesn't have the slightest idea of how to make it. To date, her vortex has cost about 35$ in materials, so it isn't bad. So ultimately, even if it simply doesn't work, it has served a purpose and if it does work, then that's a darn good thing.
    Sean,

First, I have never heard or seen an article on a DIY vortex filter made out of a 5 gallon bucket. That includes many years of following DIY filter articles for reef aquariums. I believe the reason is the flow of water needed for a vortex that size would be so little it makes the project impractical.

It would not be too difficult to go online and visit several commercial vortex filter sites and get the specs (size dimensions and recommended flow rate) and down size the flow rate to match a 11 inch diameter x 11 inch tall, 3 - 4 gallon vortex container.

You are right, your project serves the purpose on learning how to build a vortex like the DIY ones built out of a 55 gallon plastic barrel.

Nisai

Looks great! But....I hope you have an auto-fill on it because with a fountain that high, you are going to lose a ton of water through splashing, blowing and evaporation. Also many aquatic plants hate splashing (water lilies hate it especially). I think I'd divert some of that flow just back into the tank. Split the line off with a tee and put two ball valves on it to regulate how much flow goes to the fountain and how much goes back to the tank.

Nisai
    I understand your point. I was just excited to see water in it. :-)

I'm not sure I like the fountain idea. I guess it will be pretty at night with the lights on it. It disturbs the water quite a bit, and I don't think you'll be able to enjoy the view of the fish. I need to get the waterfall created and set up.

I was hoping to have the filter setup and plumbed this weekend.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast