Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New pond and absolutely no idea what to do...

Nisai

New pond and absolutely no idea what to do...

I salvaged an existing pond that had been totally neglected. I don't know how long it had been without power to it.

Upon emptying it, I found one small fish, not exactly sure what it is. I dropped it in my girls goldfish tank. Hopefully we can figure out what type of fish it is, decide if we want to keep it, and keep it alive till we figure it all out.

It is kind of a oval shape, maybe 6 ft by 4 ft by 2.5 ft deep maybe. My guess, it's around 450 gallons.

One pump had a sticker that read submersible, 1500+ gallons per hour. The other pump looked like it ran a small fountain in the middle. I did not see any filtration at all.

There is one drain on the side near the bottom. I broke the bulkhead fitting removing the unit. The lines were all tangled in roots.

I would like to have some fish, and flowering plants, but again, have no idea where to even begin. I was hoping someone could help me get started in the right direction.

I'm familiar a bit with fresh and salt water aquariums, but somehow this seems like a completely different breed...

Thanks for any help.

RocketSurgeon
    Last edited by RocketSurgeon; 03-28-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    I salvaged an existing pond that had been totally neglected. I don't know how long it had been without power to it.
    Upon emptying it, I found one small fish, not exactly sure what it is. I dropped it in my girls goldfish tank. Hopefully we can figure out what type of fish it is, decide if we want to keep it, and keep it alive till we figure it all out.
    It is kind of a oval shape, maybe 6 ft by 4 ft by 2.5 ft deep maybe. My guess, it's around 450 gallons.
    One pump had a sticker that read submersible, 1500+ gallons per hour. The other pump looked like it ran a small fountain in the middle. I did not see any filtration at all.
    There is one drain on the side near the bottom. I broke the bulkhead fitting removing the unit. The lines were all tangled in roots.
    I would like to have some fish, and flowering plants, but again, have no idea where to even begin. I was hoping someone could help me get started in the right direction.
    I'm familiar a bit with fresh and salt water aquariums, but somehow this seems like a completely different breed...
    Thanks for any help.
    RocketSurgeon
    I am not a Rocket Scientist, but I can help you a little.

Your existing "pond" is a Rubbermaid stock tank.

The small fish is a Koi and looks like it came from a home spawning.

I am sure that somebody will recognize the submersible pump and ID it for you.

If you are a DIYer and familiar with freshwater and reef aquarium biological filtration, then you know enough about filters and may be able to build your own filter.

You can search here or Goggle "koi pond filter" to get started.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I am not a Rocket Scientist, but I can help you a little.

Your existing "pond" is a Rubbermaid stock tank.

The small fish is a Koi and looks like it came from a home spawning.

I am sure that somebody will recognize the submersible pump and ID it for you.

If you are a DIYer and familiar with freshwater and reef aquarium biological filtration, then you know enough about filters and may be able to build your own filter.

You can search here or Goggle "koi pond filter" to get started.
    Is this stock tank suitable for continuing to be a pond, or should I scrap it and do something else?

Also, a 1500+ gallon per hour pump going to be large enough to run a DIY filter, or do I need more turnover than that?

After cleaning the pump a little more, it is a harbor freight pump.

Nisai
    Stock Tank, 300 gal - 2229935 | Tractor Supply Company

This may be what I have: 300 gallons, not quite as much as I had originally guesstimated.

Is this stock tank suitable for continuing to be a pond, or should I scrap it and do something else?
    Your stock tank is too small to be a "Koi pond".

It is big enough for a small plant pond and/or goldfish pond.

Many Koi people use stock tanks like yours for filter tanks and quarantine tanks.

You have the start of a great DIY biofilter with that stock tank.
    Your koi sort of looks like a Chagoi with white spots.

Koi are basicaly fancy carp, both koi and carp like lots of room. Koi are notorius for shreding plants. Not saying that you can't have plants, but you might have to come up with some creative way to protect them.

Shoot for 1000 gallon minimum on your pond. Koi are messy, you feed them alot they poo alot. A bottom drain helps sweep the poo away. A skimmer is to get all the floating junk, if that stuff sinks eventualy it will decompose and release carbons into the water. Waterfalls are not only visualy and audiably stimulating, they serve a dual purpose by adding oxygen into the water by crashing and droping its way back to the pond.

Your pump looks to be off the shelf of either HomeDepot or Lowes. Ok in a pinch, but there are better pumps out there with longer longevity. My favorite brand for small pumps is Pondmaster.

I think the best advice I can give you is get involved in local koi club. Also (I am not calling you an idiot , or a dummy, or stupid) Get the book "Idiots Guide to Koi" Its cheap, very informative, and a great reference. Also keep askign questions, we will do our best to help you out.
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

Also you want to stay away from pumps that are submersible. Reasons why electrocution, draining your pond if your pipes fail, and the micturation of fish poo by the impellar.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Your stock tank is too small to be a "Koi pond".

It is big enough for a small plant pond and/or goldfish pond.

Many Koi people use stock tanks like yours for filter tanks and quarantine tanks.
    \

Essentially, to utilize this effectively, I need to focus on goldfish and plants rather than koi.

I say that two fold, A: I doubt my 6 yr old appreciates the difference between the two and B: I doubt my wife lets me put in a koi pond instead of a family pool.

Nisai
    In all my aquariums, the filters are beneath the tanks. I don't think that would be the case with a pond, right?

Next, Should I insert the stock tank into the ground, or leave it sitting on the ground. The previous owner only had it in the ground about 6 inches.

I'll begin to research a bit on DIY filters for this 300 gallon bucket I have.

Thanks for your feedback.

Essentially, to utilize this effectively, I need to focus on goldfish and plants rather than koi.
    I say that two fold, A: I doubt my 6 yr old appreciates the difference between the two and B: I doubt my wife lets me put in a koi pond instead of a family pool.
    That will work and is a good way to get introduced to "ponds".

In all my aquariums, the filters are beneath the tanks. I don't think that would be the case with a pond, right?
    Think of an aquarium with the filter next to the tank.

Next, Should I insert the stock tank into the ground, or leave it sitting on the ground. The previous owner only had it in the ground about 6 inches.
    I'll begin to research a bit on DIY filters for this 300 gallon bucket I have.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    In the ground, above the ground is your choice.
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast