Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Bulkheads on a liner

Bulkheads on a liner

Just was wondering will bulkheads work on liners? Just thought I'd ask a stupid question LOL. Also the round electrical cord water proof fitting that look like mini bulkheads so the cords could be ran under the liner. The only bad thing I think about that is once the pump fails I would have to drain the pound down to that level to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    Just was wondering will bulkheads work on liners? Just thought I'd ask a stupid question LOL. Also the round electrical cord water proof fitting that look like mini bulkheads so the cords could be ran under the liner. The only bad thing I think about that is once the pump fails I would have to drain the pound down to that level to replace it.
    Will bulkheads work on liners? Yes, there are several ways to use "bulkheads" on liners. Any good source for installing liner ponds should also have some information on installing drains and plumbing through a liner.

Can you use the small electrical cord water proof fittings to run an electrical cord under the liner? My guess that would be a "no" and not recommended.

so you are wanting to use a submersible pump that's cord is under the liner and comes up right where the pump is sitting? nope...don't do it. Terrible idea. Submersibles are notorious about failing. Or you might need to move the pump for some reason. just let the cord go down through the pond to the pump. Or better yet, don't use a sub pump, use an external one!

Yep going without the cords through the liner.

WAC
    Tosai
    Bulkheads can work for liner applications as well as pipe-boots & stainless steel clamps.

My personal preference for liner penetration is flanged connectors. I tend to feel more secure w/a larger surface area flange to make contact as it sandwiches the liner & held together w/stainless steel screws. An example are like these GPRs 3", 2" & 1.5":
    Bulkheads on a liner-img_0008.jpg

The bulkhead for cords can simply be used as a bulkhead for water inlet/outlet as well. drawback = 3/4" male thread protrusion on the inside of the liner.

For formal applications where cords cannot simply go up & over the edge, they can be handy. The cords aren't just for pumps but work for low voltage lighting cords as well. The concept is simple.

#1 cord goes thru rubber plug
    Bulkheads on a liner-img_9036.jpg

#2 rubber plug w/cord is inserted into the bulkhead
    Bulkheads on a liner-img_9037.jpg

#3 rubber plug w/cord is sandwiched & tightened to create a waterproof bulge inside the bulkhead
    Bulkheads on a liner-img_9044.jpg

#4 here's the cross section of the finished component
    Bulkheads on a liner-img_9041.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WAC View Post
    Bulkheads can work for liner applications as well as pipe-boots & stainless steel clamps.

My personal preference for liner penetration is flanged connectors. I tend to feel more secure w/a larger surface area flange to make contact as it sandwiches the liner & held together w/stainless steel screws. An example are like these GPRs 3", 2" & 1.5":
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg 
Views:	3011 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	33093
    I agree.

I feel even more secure using two pieces of round sheet plastic with holes cut in the center to increase the "flange" surface area.
    Think giant plastic fender washers.