Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: gravity filter

Quote Originally Posted by hulsey View Post
    (still working on the drawing, have it done in a few hours) one thing im still kind of confused about. The pump is pulling from the last tank. this concept messes with me. example} you have some leaves by the bottom drain. of course if your filter is down by the level of the pond the water will be pushed to keep the 2 equal thru the piping to the drain but is the push enough to move leaves and debris thru the piping? Is it as strong as the suction of the pump? My whole reserve is I dont want to put too small piping or small a pump into this system only to have to change it later. hopefully after I get this drawing done you guys can help me out with some numbers.

Now all you have to do is fill in the "details" (filters/pipe size).

Nisai

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post

Now all you have to do is fill in the "details" (filters/pipe size).

the bottom drain is 3 inches so other than the drains being 4 inches and the tubing going to the uv light and bog filter it will all be the same, 3" pvc. I dont have the vortex filter yet and Im a DIY guy so im up for suggestions. other filters I have is a crushed granite filter, a 50 gallon bio-mat filter, the uv light (possibly undersized but I have alot of shade and have never had green water) and a store bought pressure biofilter made for 500 gal pond for the waterfall stream. Plus Ill be adding the bog filter into the new construction. if I missed anything or u need more info please aks away!

Nisai
    So does that look correct? Also anyone know the best way to figure the water lvl of the pond to get the filters at the same lvl. The filters will be about 5 feet behind the pond where there is currently a small hill. So ill have to dig into the hill and brick it off to make a spot for the filters. But how do i figure out the elevation?

anyone know the best way to figure the water lvl of the pond to get the filters at the same lvl. The filters will be about 5 feet behind the pond where there is currently a small hill. So ill have to dig into the hill and brick it off to make a spot for the filters. But how do i figure out the elevation?
    That is easy if you have a "water level".

You can buy a water level which has two pieces that screw on to the ends of your garden hose or make your own.
    Making and Using a Water Level

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    That is easy if you have a "water level".

You can buy a water level which has two pieces that screw on to the ends of your garden hose or make your own.
    Making and Using a Water Level
    awesome bit of info there...only how would that work if the hose had to go up over the hill? also I have been reading about DIY filters and one filter I have right now is a gravel filter....every single post i see about thoses is "they are outdated". so what would be a good conversion for that tank to turn into to be more efficent? or just leave it as a gravel filter?

I have been reading about DIY filters and one filter I have right now is a gravel filter....every single post i see about thoses is "they are outdated". so what would be a good conversion for that tank to turn into to be more efficent? or just leave it as a gravel filter?
    If it works and is fairly easy to maintain... don't fix it.

Not all conversions work better than a well designed gravel/rock filter.

Nisai
    well that will work. last (hopefully) question is where can I get a pond liner for a good price. ive seen a 20x25 range from 300-500$?/

well that will work. last (hopefully) question is where can I get a pond liner for a good price. ive seen a 20x25 range from 300-500$?/
    It is usually cheaper, when buying a pond liner, to not have to pay for shipping by buying one locally.

Where can I get a pond liner locally? Talk to members of your local Koi club(s).

Nisai
    well I sadly live in Groves Tx so the closest pond supplies place is 2 hours away but I guess gas money is cheaper than paying for shipping. also when I do this project Ill be taking video and pictures, do I post them on this thread to keep it rolling? thanks for all the great info BTW

Nisai
    ...Ill be taking video and pictures...
    Pictures are always good.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast