Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: gravity filter

Nisai
    ok so now Im having some thoughts about my system and I would like some feedback. was looking at the filters Ill have set up and I have room to improve but I would like to know if I will be ok for now or am I really lacking. So back over the basics. 1500 gallon pond. bottom drain. going to a 40 gallon vortex tank. then to a 30 gallon gravel filter. (insert optional filter) then to my pump. splits here. stream#1 goes to bog filter then into pond. stream#2 goes to manufactured biofilter made for 500 gallon pond, then uv light then to pond. So koi pros...I have room to put another filter...should I? and if so what kind(and I like diy better)

MCA
    I have a question or two about the 1500 gallon aspect. Since koi are riverine carp, they need current and room to move. The typical recommendation would be at least 250 gallons per koi, minimum pond depth at 4'. So for koi shouldn't the plan be more in the range of 3000-5000 gallons with a bottom drain and a skimmer each feeding a filter system?

Gravity feed from the bottom drain to filter system and return via ports on the pond walls. That becomes the circuit you can run all year. From the skimmer feed the water to a trickle tower or bakki shower. In cold weather that is a circuit that can be shut down to minimize heat loss.

Sorry if these items have been previously cussed, discussed, and decided.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by hulsey View Post
    ok so now Im having some thoughts about my system and I would like some feedback. was looking at the filters Ill have set up and I have room to improve but I would like to know if I will be ok for now or am I really lacking. So back over the basics. 1500 gallon pond. bottom drain. going to a 40 gallon vortex tank. then to a 30 gallon gravel filter. (insert optional filter) then to my pump. splits here. stream#1 goes to bog filter then into pond. stream#2 goes to manufactured biofilter made for 500 gallon pond, then uv light then to pond. So koi pros...I have room to put another filter...should I? and if so what kind(and I like diy better)
    A 3/4 HP pump motor is not a good fit for a 1500 gallon pond.

40 gallon vortex tank plus 30 gallon gravel filter plus ??? gallon bog filter plus small bio-filter for 500 gallon pond is not enough bio filtration, in my opinion, for a 1500 gallon Koi pond.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I have a question or two about the 1500 gallon aspect. Since koi are riverine carp, they need current and room to move. The typical recommendation would be at least 250 gallons per koi, minimum pond depth at 4'. So for koi shouldn't the plan be more in the range of 3000-5000 gallons with a bottom drain and a skimmer each feeding a filter system?
    Sorry if these items have been previously cussed, discussed, and decided.
    well It will be gravity fed but it might be a little more than 1500 gallons but Im trying to do with what I have. I wont have that many Koi when all is said and done seeing how a few develop and sell/donating them to get my count safe. Most of mine are small right now. Ive been told a few times you cant ever have too much oxygen or filteration in a koi pond so I was thinking of asking a string media filter since I already have it. But I did want a suggestion for a filter type also. So a trickle tower would do what other than cool and filterate the water? would that be better or worse than my filter idea?

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post

40 gallon vortex tank plus 30 gallon gravel filter plus ??? gallon bog filter plus small bio-filter for 500 gallon pond is not enough bio filtration, in my opinion, for a 1500 gallon Koi pond.
    sorry I just saw this. Well this is why I asked. Im not a pro koi guy but I want health fish and clean water. So what would u suggest. And I really appreciate all of your inputs!

sorry I just saw this. Well this is why I asked. Im not a pro koi guy but I want health fish and clean water. So what would u suggest. And I really appreciate all of your inputs!
    You could increase the gravel filter to 150+ gallons.

Nisai
    I could probably get close to that. Problem is i need to get more wide than deep. Im limited on space going down. Could i use a rubbermaid stock tank for that?

I could probably get close to that. Problem is i need to get more wide than deep. Im limited on space going down. Could i use a rubbermaid stock tank for that?
    Sure, and you probably could get away with 12" of 1" - 1.5" rock for media.

Nisai
    Yea i can probably do that or close to it. Btw i did the math and the bog filter will be 150 gallons.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post

yea the 3/4 hp pump is a temporary. can u suggest one to purchase? I was looking at a Evolution 2500 gal or 3000 gph pump?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast