Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??

Sansai
    WOW!!!! Maybe I should look on craigs list.. the farm store by me sells those but for $250 a peice!!! I live in utah so NO way could I save money by driving to cali. to pick them up. And I agree... the cetus sieve I wanted was a $1,000. and I'm also afraid I would need at least 2 of them for everythin I want to do. I'll just look for some good (used) 275 gallon totes perhaps.... Or something simular

Mike, I believe I remember your pump house being 8ft X 10ft. yes?

If it is you could easily stick 4 of those 275 gallon (48" X 40") totes in there without too much trouble. So let's look at 4 totes. 2 per bottom drain for the time being set up in whatever fashion it takes to keep as much crap out of your bio chambers as possible. Then have 1 per bottom drain for filtration. You could use any matter of material for this. Basically what you can afford. Be it springflo, k1, jap mat, matala etc. Just make sure you have it aerated with either air stones or a pvc rig that you build with lot's of tiny holes.

I would run both of your bottom drain lines up to the water fall for return to pond.

Both skimmers could be plumbed to a home made bakki shower. Search the forum for bakki shower and you'll see the ones that a lot of people have made for pretty reasonable money. If you can't afford the bacteria house ( I couldn't ) I would use feather rock if you can find it. I got mine from a forum member. Basically it's super lightweight and super porous. I tried lava rock but the weight was a little extreme and I didn't think it could match the ability of the feather rock for bacteria colonization. Off the bottom tray of the bakki showers pipe those over to the TPRs. I know I suggested some mid level pick ups but for now you could get away with simply plumbing them in and when money/time becomes available you can add other filtration in the future. You could also run your skimmer lines to foam fractioners to save a few bucks.

I really like the work you're doing. Makes me want to build a new pond with all these things I'm telling you to install... *sigh* Maybe next year?

Eventually a sweet system in my opinion would be bottom drains to the water fall, skimmers to the foam fractioners and mid level pick ups to the bakki showers. The bakki showers join the bottom drain water to make a spectacular water fall with lots of good water coming in, and the fractioner water goes down into the TPRs.

Best,

Grant

Sansai
    Grant, where ya been? you're suppose to check this post 12 times a day, case I have any questions!!!! haha Just kidding! I love all your long descriptive posts! I wished you lived like next door! I could totally bug ya all the time?
    But seriously..... I've been digging trying to get rid of a (dead spot) i figured was in the pond and i tried to take a picture it's hard to tell what i did... but I posted a cpl pictures.
    But Backi showers EH? you reckomend I put these like up behind the waterfall???? using pumps to get water from the four mechanical filter tanks? Then gravity feed back into the pond? Also..... Will I want these (TOTES) close to eachother? wont I need to hook bottom drains to all of them and wat to get down in there and drain once or twice a week?.... I think I need to make my filter pit bigger... but might have to cut down a GORGEOUS tree I have had for over 35 years
    Sorry I have SO many questions!!!!
    BUt I was wondering.... what ya thought about --- Pond Sieve | Sieve Pre-Filter | Bottom Drain Pre-Filter

for my skimmers???
    then mabye airlift pump back to the TPR's?
    On the second picture you can see one of my bottom drains and air line.
    ok I have a MILLION other questions, thoughts, ideas, you sure you can't just come move in next door? hehee!!!
    Really Grant and ALL others thanks for ALL your help and suggestions!!!! I really appreciate it
    Mike....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-upper-4-deep-shelf.jpg   Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-another-night-work.jpg  

Sansai
    OH I read your post again.... you suggested from bakki tower to TPR's!!!!!
    Hmmmm..... where would I put this bakki shower? hahaha From what I read about them they are GREAT! are they better than other DIY bio-filters? I was thinking a couple skippys up in my falls then hidden with rocks. wow no biggy I change my mind daily and am confused ALWAYS! I likfe the foam fractioners too.... (get rid of DOC's) Just not sure where to put that either... right next to the skimmer? or piped somewhere else? could I build an airlift/phoam fractioner in one? lol
    I still really like the pictures and Idea of that (carolinagirl) who built that air lift and moved 9,000 GPH. just trying to think how I could do this? maybe through like a 50 gallon drum like she did then push right back into the pond right next to my little build... ok prolly wouldn't be little. Maybe I could dig a filter pit on the other side of my pond too? or behind my water fall and take up some of my garden area? WOW I think to much!
    Sorry,,,,, I'll shup n go to bed now

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    OH I read your post again.... you suggested from bakki tower to TPR's!!!!!
    Hmmmm..... where would I put this bakki shower? hahaha From what I read about them they are GREAT! are they better than other DIY bio-filters? I was thinking a couple skippys up in my falls then hidden with rocks. wow no biggy I change my mind daily and am confused ALWAYS! I likfe the foam fractioners too.... (get rid of DOC's) Just not sure where to put that either... right next to the skimmer? or piped somewhere else? could I build an airlift/phoam fractioner in one? lol
    I still really like the pictures and Idea of that (carolinagirl) who built that air lift and moved 9,000 GPH. just trying to think how I could do this? maybe through like a 50 gallon drum like she did then push right back into the pond right next to my little build... ok prolly wouldn't be little. Maybe I could dig a filter pit on the other side of my pond too? or behind my water fall and take up some of my garden area? WOW I think to much!
    Sorry,,,,, I'll shup n go to bed now
    Ok, first things first. I don't like that sieve you linked to at all. It's not so much a sieve but a big leaf basket with a SS screen inside. Looks good on paper but has no business on a koi pond IMO. I can see that thing becoming clogged with koi poop real fast... The idea with a gravity flowing bottom drain is to keep the water moving as quickly as possible and that thing would only inhibit this effort very shortly after a cleaning.

As far as placing these totes, lot's of ideas on how to connect it all up, but I don't see any reason you can't have them right beside each other. The drain lines for them will be below them and you can connect them to each other from the side. Read some other DIY pond builds and you'll see lots of ideas for turning your tote into a filter and how to connect it to the next one in series.

As far as airlifting... You won't be able to airlift to a bakki shower or foam fractioner. These will have to be pumped. But they can be gravity fed back to the TPRs. For the DIY bakki showers there's a collection tray for the water at the bottom, as well as a foam fractioner there's a collection pipe. Both of these can be installed away from the pond and then piped back wherever you need as long as you can maintain grade to keep the water moving. I'd count on keeping at least a 1" drop for every 12" of horizontal to ensure good flow.

Hopefully Cindy (carolinagirl) will be able to chime in on airlifting for your bottom drain lines to get to the waterfall as I dont have any experience with it. From what I've read and understand, it shouldn't be too hard. Just a matter of getting the heights set right.

Grant

Sansai
    I love the idea of a bakki shower perhaps I can put one on my garden shelf (behind my water falls)? It's my garden area me and my girlfriend build last year and fenced in and put sprinklers REALLY NICE... but maybe I can use the upper shelf (where we plant peas) to put a bakki shower that could go into my water falls? be kinda ugly having a pipe run through my fence... but hey! My fish would love it? lol
    I posted some pictures of my garden, and it's shelf, and pictures of my pond. I also tried to take some pictures of where I shoveled out part of my 4 foot shelf and made it wider to eliminate a dead spot into the pond...
    Sorry, my phone SUX for taking pictures, that and I'm definately NO PHOTOGRAPHER!
    anyways... heres some photos... please give me your oppinon/opinoins on where I should make room for all my filtration, bakki shower, foam fractioners.... settling tanks????
    THanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-my-garden-behind-pond.jpg   Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-back-side-water-fall-standing-my-garden.jpg   Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-standing-garden-upper-shelf-garden.jpg   Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-filtration-area.jpg   Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-standing-waterfall-picture-lower-fish-bowl.jpg  

Sansai
    ooops, forgot this pictures, it's kinda showing where i shoveled out an area to eliminate a dead spot from my upper shelf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-standing-filtration-area.jpg   Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-new-cleaned-out-area-eliminating-my-old-dead-spot-pond.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123