Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??

Sansai

Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??

Hello all!
    I was curious.... I have a 10,000 ish gallon pond im building. I was curious with 2 bottom drains how big of a settlment chamber should I have? should both bottom drains go to one chamber? Or should I have two seperate chambers?
    I have a nice big hole on the side of my pond that I was planning to build a pump house. I don't think it's gonna be big enough I'm somewhat limmeted on space. The hole is about 10'X8' and about 3' down. with all the filtration and settlment chambers and pumps I am really scratching my head how i'm going to fit everything.
    How big of settlment chamber/chambers will I need?
    as you can see to the left of the one picture is my pond hole then the brick wall is the back of my pond hole. Off to the right is where I was planning on putting all filtration, settlment tanks, pumps ECT.
    The second picture is of the pump house I was planning to build with blocks... The form you see is square with my property and house, as I didn't want a crooked building in my yard.
    Does a settlement chamber have to be a vortex? or can I use a big square 300 gallon fertilizer tank from the farm store???
    haha! Sorry for bouncing all over the place. this is how my my is bouncing around as I think about this pond
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-picture-pond-filtration-pit.jpg   Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-pump-house-foundation.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Hello all!
    I was curious.... I have a 10,000 ish gallon pond im building. I was curious with 2 bottom drains how big of a settlment chamber should I have? should both bottom drains go to one chamber? Or should I have two seperate chambers?
    I have a nice big hole on the side of my pond that I was planning to build a pump house. I don't think it's gonna be big enough I'm somewhat limmeted on space. The hole is about 10'X8' and about 3' down. with all the filtration and settlment chambers and pumps I am really scratching my head how i'm going to fit everything.
    How big of settlment chamber/chambers will I need?
    as you can see to the left of the one picture is my pond hole then the brick wall is the back of my pond hole. Off to the right is where I was planning on putting all filtration, settlment tanks, pumps ECT.
    The second picture is of the pump house I was planning to build with blocks... The form you see is square with my property and house, as I didn't want a crooked building in my yard.
    Does a settlement chamber have to be a vortex? or can I use a big square 300 gallon fertilizer tank from the farm store???
    haha! Sorry for bouncing all over the place. this is how my my is bouncing around as I think about this pond

"The basic principle of the settlement tank is to slow the water down so that the suspended particles fall to the base of the tank, from where they can be removed with ease."

Check out the above site for settlement chamber ideas.

Sansai
    Thanks Man!!! Seams I've read SO SO SO SO SO much!!! but hey! I keep learning more and more! I appreciate the link, I'll check it out as soon as I get done writing this! But I was at a farmers store and seen a bunch of different types of tanks... was wondering if I use a big enough one if I can run a couple bottom drains into it. Maybe the link you just sent me will help me decide.
    Oh hey.... where does one purchase "K1"??? and about whats the price? I have a Koi Dealer here locally, but I don't think I like or trust him to much. He talked me into buying a 3" drain when I first started this project. I instantly converted it to a 4" with a reducer. but still... I don't think he really knows alot of different things about koi ponds. I asked him what he thought about (air lifts) he had NO IDEA what I was talking about. I think he just wants my money.
    Any way I posted some pictures of some tanks at a store that was closed and they ran me out today. haha
    I will read that link, RIGHT NOW see what I can get from it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-settling-tanks1.jpg   Settlment chamber/ chanmbers??-settling-tanks-2.jpg  

Thanks Man!!! Seams I've read SO SO SO SO SO much!!! but hey! I keep learning more and more! I appreciate the link, I'll check it out as soon as I get done writing this! But I was at a farmers store and seen a bunch of different types of tanks... was wondering if I use a big enough one if I can run a couple bottom drains into it. Maybe the link you just sent me will help me decide.
    Oh hey.... where does one purchase "K1"??? and about whats the price? I have a Koi Dealer here locally, but I don't think I like or trust him to much. He talked me into buying a 3" drain when I first started this project. I instantly converted it to a 4" with a reducer. but still... I don't think he really knows alot of different things about koi ponds. I asked him what he thought about (air lifts) he had NO IDEA what I was talking about. I think he just wants my money.
    Any way I posted some pictures of some tanks at a store that was closed and they ran me out today. haha
    I will read that link, RIGHT NOW see what I can get from it
    I like this one;

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I like this one;

But I would hate to have to fill it with Kaldnes K1 media.

K1 media is very expensive!

Sansai
    yeah, that one is a 300 gallon or so, rain catcher! The rain gutter was going right into it... weird!
    BUt thanks for your reply! My girlfreind had to go to hospitol, so i was unable to research anymore tonight!!! TOMORROW!!! FO SHO!
    THanks again Ric!

Sansai
    Hey, DO you like that one because it is shaped, like an upside down vortex? or is it the size you like? or what was your reason for liking this? They have some BIG square ones with a metal casing around it... they even have HUGE 3000 gallon tank... hahaha!

Hey, DO you like that one because it is shaped, like an upside down vortex? or is it the size you like? or what was your reason for liking this? They have some BIG square ones with a metal casing around it... they even have HUGE 3000 gallon tank... hahaha!
    Those 300 gallon poly tanks are a good size.

"Upside down vortex" is not the consideration.

Sansai
    AWW!! well thanks!
    does heigth matter? I read through that sturgeon link you gave me. It was a very good link and discussed media and talked about how important mechanical filtering is and oxigyn and bacteria!
    Thanks RIC!

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I like this one;

Concur completely. That's a great tank! If you can or have room one of these on each bottom drain for settlement would do nicely. Cut in the entry point to create a swirling action in the tub. Say a 4" bulkhead/PVC adapter thing straight onto a 90. At or near the bottom. Cut a second bulkhead in about mid height and run pipe to the center of the container, then elbow up and then finish with a 4" piece of pipe cut to the height you want and that is your outflow. The idea is the water swirls in, climbs up and then drains down the middle of the vortex you've created before moving on to biological filtration. Cut another hole in the lowest point for a drain. On the bottom is best but you'd have to use a real bulkhead because the idea is to get all the water to drain out of this thing when cleaning... and the last few inches of water are the nastiest to wherever you put your drain it would be nice if it would drain almost completely dry. I've used shower/floor drains for this application because of their low profile on the inside of the tank. Bigger is better for the drain pipe size too because the solids/crap won't settle out if it's flushed rapidly.

In a perfect world I would have three of these per drain line. One settlement, one filter, and one to capture fines... in that order.

A few options for you for the settlement tank.

- depending on final flow rate after friction loss created by your system you may not need any media in there at all. The solids may settle out on their own.

- you could rig up brushes in there to help capture particles but these would need to be sprayed off when you dump your settlement. Not a huge deal because when you dump it you could just leave the drain open and spray away at them.

- you could install some positively buoyant media in there, like K1 and an air system which would allow you to "boil" the media before flushing. This would give you very clean water to move onto to bio filtration but would be the most expensive route in all likelihood.

I happen to have about 50 gallons (fill a big garbage can) of K1 in my shed that I'm not using as I ended up with way more than I needed when I bought some showers that came with it. (long story) At any rate, let me look at it and maybe I could set you up with some used stuff that would be a lot cheaper than new...

And another option for tanks that will be less money are these - tote

I've used them for myself and love them. That link is mostly for a picture. Check craigslist or local industrial areas. I got both of mine for 75 bucks and they were used to ship cattle feed supplements so they were FDA stamped. All I did was bleach and pressure wash them and they were good to go!

Grant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast