Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: better than 5200 Marine Sealant??

Meg

better than 5200 Marine Sealant??

someone posted somthing they tought was better but I can't find the post?
    any ideas?
    thanks, Meg

Sansai
    Meg,
    Ya know.... Grant once told me to use Gold Label Underwater Sealant
    Here I copied and pasted from one of his post to me....
    Grant:
    "Oh, and the best caulking I've ever used (won't use standard marine any more) is Gold Label Underwater Sealer. It's black and will stick and chemically cure underwater. Great for little repair jobs and when I used it to build some of my DIY contraptions it's NEVER leaked on me through freezing winters and hot summers."

Not sure if that's what you was talking about.... But Grant seams to know his stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    someone posted somthing they tought was better but I can't find the post?
    any ideas?
    thanks, Meg
    Thanks Mike

Yeah, it was me Meg. But a caveat... I'm not as patient as I should be with letting things cure sometimes. I would leave the 5200 for a full day in my garage and find it still somewhat tacky 24hours later. The humidity in my area may be on the high side, however, when I start buildin' sumptin... I got no time to stand around waiting on caulking to dry!

So I ordered this Gold Label stuff one time to try and repair one of my earlier settlement talks. The way it was set up I would have had to let my pond go without circulation for the curing time on the 5200 and since that wasn't an option I tried the Gold Label out. Well wouldn't you know it? It performed as advertised. I put some on my finger, put my hand under water, sealed the gap in my settlement tank that was leaking and the dripping stopped immediately. The next day I go out and feel around the caulking I had applied and it was cured up beautifully. The whole time UNDER WATER... Well, I was sold and the next time I built a filter I only used the new stuff. It's been 2+ years now for some of the applications and I'm happy to report it's still pliable, sealed up and good!

Be warned... it's not cheap at all, but with all the corners I cut by building my own stuff I splurge on my sealer when it works that good.

Grant

Sansai
    where you can find those Gold lable sealing?

Meg
    Thanks Grant and Mike, I thought Grant was the one who recently mentioned it but couldn't find it.
    ordering some today if I can't find it at Lowes or home depot.

nguyen, I will let you know if I find it in town, but I googled it and easily found it on line to order and ship