Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build

Sansai
    Thanks Pskof!!!
    I actually wished I had some updates, but the pond build has been put on hold (for now). I really wished that darn thing was up and running and I was camping out next to the pond!
    I live and breath thinking about how neat it will be to have this huge pond full of water and my fish doing laps in it!!!!
    But just know, I will definitely share any more progress on the build when I do get around to some more $$$ and get going on it again.
    Thanks again for letting me know you do check on this thread once a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I like to hear from pond liner owners who have not had to replace their liner after 10 years.
    Yesterday one of my friends with a liner pond hosted a Koi club meeting.

He has had a liner pond for over 20 years.

At the meeting I asked him to share his experience with a liner pond.

He explained that his first pond liner lasted 20 years then it developed a leak that could not be found. My friend decided that he was getting too old to replace the liner himself and hired a well known Southern California Koi dealer to replace the leaking liner a couple years ago. He explained that the new liner was more flexible and "stretched" to fit nicely.

When asked, my friend said that the new liner is guaranteed for 30 years but he is expecting maybe 10 or more years (he felt that he was lucky with the first liner).

Sansai
    I would love nothing more than to have an all concrete pond.... just moneys are SO TIGHT where I come from, can't imagine how much that would cost me. I would have to have a truck pump it from the street over my house about 200' from the truck, not to mention all the hard work and money for all the rebar.

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    I would love nothing more than to have an all concrete pond.... just moneys are SO TIGHT where I come from, can't imagine how much that would cost me. I would have to have a truck pump it from the street over my house about 200' from the truck, not to mention all the hard work and money for all the rebar.
    Some people spend a lot of money on seives, Nexus, fancy skimmers, and drains that cost much more than DIY concrete ponds.

Sansai
    Hello Koi-Bito!!!
    Longgggggg time no post! trust me I still check this forum once a day, just haven't posted.
    Any old who.... On another forum I seen a really unfortunate accident! a wall crack and colapsed as soon as this person filled their pond with water. I don't think they had much rebar, nor do I think they tied in their corners. I had NO IDEA how much pressure horizontally water had inside a pond!
    My walls only have the top row of blocks with horizontal rebar through them! My corners are NOT tied in. I have put my build on hold for now, but this keeps me up late at night scared my walls would collapse. Take a look at all my corners NOT tied in. I think I should buils another wall 8" out from this existing wall and fill the void with concrete AND REBAR! whats the experts here on koi-bito's opinion???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-messed-up-walls-1.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-messed-up-wall-2.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-messed-up-wall-3.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-messed-up-wall-4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Hello Koi-Bito!!!
    Longgggggg time no post! trust me I still check this forum once a day, just haven't posted.
    Any old who.... On another forum I seen a really unfortunate accident! a wall crack and colapsed as soon as this person filled their pond with water. I don't think they had much rebar, nor do I think they tied in their corners. I had NO IDEA how much pressure horizontally water had inside a pond!
    My walls only have the top row of blocks with horizontal rebar through them! My corners are NOT tied in. I have put my build on hold for now, but this keeps me up late at night scared my walls would collapse. Take a look at all my corners NOT tied in. I think I should buils another wall 8" out from this existing wall and fill the void with concrete AND REBAR! whats the experts here on koi-bito's opinion???
    You should have had horizontal rebar and vertical rebar "touching" EVERY concrete block. That means horizontal rebar every other horizontal joint row and vertical rebar in every other vertical hole down through the blocks.

You could back-up (fill) the space on the outsides of the walls with a dirt berm to help hold the weight of the water and do wire reinforced thick Shotcrete on the inside.

Ask the Shotcrete operator for advice and an estimate.

Sansai
    I'm seriously considering just making a concrete pond! with xypex? I think thats how you spell it. I just not sure where i'll get the money. maybe someone wants to buy one of my nice koi??? for like say $10,000? haha

Sansai
    Well,
    I know I wont get my pond on steroids going until next year now. So I figured in the meantime, I would supersize my small 400 gallon waiting tank for my fish. I have 7 koi, they have outgrown this thing this year.
    It was a three step pond, shallow end 1' middle was 2' and bottom bowl was 3'.
    Yesterday I broke my back and pulled everything out and dug the WHOLE thing to 5 1/2' deep. I'm thinking this thing is roughly around 1,000 gallons now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-400-gallon.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-time-remove-fish.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-only-3-deep-lowest-section.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-20-x-25-liner.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-making-5.5-all-around-.jpg  

Sansai
    well.... finally dug my little 400 gallon pond out to 5 and 1/2' deep everywhere! Straight edges on all sides str8 down. I moved my filtration about 25' away to remove my big ugly 150 gallon skippy, I then have it run into a garbage can with 2 crates full of bio balls (my little bakki/trickle) tower. then return to the pond in a pipe.
    This was a pain after digging my pond down everywhere and whell barreling it off I then had to punch under my 6' wide sidewalk and get a 2" and a 3" pipe through there for my plumbing to go to my new filter location! After the mortar sets for a few days on the one layer raised block I did, I'll fill it all the way up. If theses retaining wall blocks hold I will then buy some stones to cover the top! and cut the liner...
    Question?...
    should I mortar a cap block around the top?
    do I pull the liner a couple inches into it? and mortar everywhere?
    If I spill mortar into my pond will it hurt my fish????
    Anyway been LOTS of hard work last 4 days or so, but finally got it the way I like AND my filtration is far away, and my pond is now a little over 1,000 gallons to house my fishy's till I can get my real pond going next year.... Pictures tomorrow!!!!!
    -Mike

Sansai
    These pictures don't do much justice. Anyway I don't have the pond completely full because we laid some blocks on top with mortar and are letting it dry. I figure a few days of curing, then I'll fill the water to the top and then cut the liner and put some capping stones on. The black rubbermaid tub is a skippy style filter, and I put a venturi type tee inline to suck air in. The blue garbage can has 2 crates with bio-balls in them and the bottom has a 3" pipe to gravity flow back into the pond!
    Anyway the pond used to have a big ugly filter set up next to the side of the pond. Now I have plumbed under the sidewalk and moved them!!! to a more hidden location. GREAT IMPROVEMENT!!! not having big ugly filters in the middle of my sidewalk haha!!!
    Any ol' who.... the pond is now approximately 1,000 and over 5' deep straight down on ALL edges! NO MORE STUPID SHELFS!
    Heres some photos, not that anyone can see the difference!

-Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-pond-redo.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-pond-redo-2.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-pond-redo-filters-moved.jpg  

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast