Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build

Congratulations Brother Raf. Been watching this for two years and am pleased to see the rapid progress. Coming along now!

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Congratulations Brother Raf. Been watching this for two years and am pleased to see the rapid progress. Coming along now!
    Thank you! It really has been a LONG time. I've changed my mind on how and what I was going to do so many times. I'm glad I slowed down and have really put a lot of time and thought into this. Luckily money has been an issue as if it wasn't I would've rushed into building a nightmare I'm afraid. My girlfriends dad likes to give me crap, telling me it will never be done. Cause I guess I said I would have it complete for a big baby shower we were having in July 2 years ago. Haha still not done and that kid is almost 2 years old now LOLThanks again, I will definitely post more pictures and keep this thread updated as it is the first one I ever posted on. -Mike

Your gunite job looks 1000% better than mine. Congrats!

I wish I would have seen this sooner but you could have mixed the Xypex in with the gunite and been done with it. Xypex is the way to go. Do not use any type of rubber sealer. I learned the had and expensive way that they don't work. I am fortunate that I made the gunite people come back and put a plaster coat of the sprayed gunite so the pond holds water without the rubber since the rubber is pealing off daily.

I am just about finished my pond, after 1 1/2 years, so I feel your pain. I'm at the point of finding the things I did wrong after 3 years of planning and I'm trying to fix them. Luckily, most are fixable.

I put my fish in the pond last Saturday. It's the first time I've seen them in 4 years. It's worth it. (Yeah, I actually said that) I'm trying to convince myself. LOL

BTW, I love the shape of the pond.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Your gunite job looks 1000% better than mine. Congrats!

I wish I would have seen this sooner but you could have mixed the Xypex in with the gunite and been done with it. Xypex is the way to go. Do not use any type of rubber sealer. I learned the had and expensive way that they don't work. I am fortunate that I made the gunite people come back and put a plaster coat of the sprayed gunite so the pond holds water without the rubber since the rubber is pealing off daily.

I am just about finished my pond, after 1 1/2 years, so I feel your pain. I'm at the point of finding the things I did wrong after 3 years of planning and I'm trying to fix them. Luckily, most are fixable.

I put my fish in the pond last Saturday. It's the first time I've seen them in 4 years. It's worth it. (Yeah, I actually said that) I'm trying to convince myself. LOL

BTW, I love the shape of the pond.
    THanks Sandy, I wanted to add Xypex in with the shotcrete. but would have cost me at least another 2k. I decided I'm going to use mortar, Xypex and black dye... and put a really smooth 1/2" seal on this whole thing. Luckily my fish are in a comfy little 1000 puddle for now. haha they have been for like 3 years waiting for this. Thanks for appreciating my weird shape. LOL. Grant whom used to come on this board called it a thermostat shape? But yes, the xypex is the ONLY way to go, as it will be permanent where any epoxy, pain-on type rubbers or whatever will eventually peel, bubble or flake off, from my research. I have a mixer at work I can borrow, now just to purchase the Xypex, Mortar, and dye. Once I get all materials, I will try to do the whole pond in one day, as to try to eliminate any cold joins in my seal.

Sansai
    Well, Friday I picked up Xypex, borrowed a power washer and a compressor with a chipper.. I chipped around each and every pipe and installed hydraulic cement around them to keep it tight around the pipes. I'm having some huge troubles with my skimmer. When they shot my pond with shotcrete they done a horrible job around my skimmer, so I've been using a chop saw to cut angles leading into the skimmer. The problems I'm having is the saw bottoms out at about 6" I've been trying to chip at the thing with my compressor run chipper and things aren't going so well.. Today I'll have another go at it, I need to try to get behind and under the faceplate to try to make a nice place to put in hydraulic cement to seal this thing off. Once I finish the skimmer I'll be ready to render the walls with Mortar with Xypex admix-500. Then my final coat of Xypex Concentrate with dye added for my final coat. Then I can start working on the filter pit and plumbing in there. I'll be lucky to get this thing up and running before winter, but if not... oh well next spring this darn thing should definitely be up and running -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-messed-skimmer-2.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-ready-seal1.jpg  

Sansai
    Well, I had a few things get in my way this weekend... I chipped around every pipe and inserted hydraulic cement around them all! But one HUGE obstacle was the skimmer... I chisel hammered, chop saw'ed, screw driver and hammered, used a leaf blower, was finally able to get underneath and around all sides and bottom of the skimmer enough to get hydraulic cement around the whole thing. And then went to use the power washer and it was broke??? GRRRRR Not to fear, I used my hose and power sprayer lol.
    Once I cleaned the pond out completely, I hydrated the walls immensely and got my girlfriend to help me mortar/Xypex 1/2 of the surface area tonight. I got pictures from when we first started but we got another 25' of wall before we finished.. (no pictures it was dark). But heres a few pictures of us getting started. One picture is of the horrible honeycombed shotcrete shell... this mortar is making it look SO SMOOTH! can't wait to get the Concentrate/dye on this
    -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-moratring1.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-mortaring2.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-mortaring3.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-mortaring4.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-temp.jpg  

Sansai
    Finally finished Mortaring the pond..... I realized after all the shotcrete (24 yards) this thing sure has shrunk! Either way, it's still pretty big and 8' deep in the lower bowl. Next step will be grinding and ruff areas and edges from when I finished mortaring one day, then continued the next overlapping the somewhat dried portion of the mortar. I hope to grind this thing smooth and put Xypex Concentrate on this weekend... with black dye added. Any way, heres a couple pictures of it finished, and me doing the last portion (the floor). Also a picture of the weapon of choice to take on the rough area's.... I'm not the smoothest of finisher's I've decided! LOL -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-mortar-finished.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-last-mortar.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-grinder.jpg  

Sansai
    Moving along... Applied Xypex concentrate with dark gray/blk concrete coloring. Put it on with a some what hard bristle brush. I have 3 Cetus's coming... should be here Friday WOOHOO!!! you'll see in my pictures I have the supervisor above the skimmer inspecting the work... and the girlfriend (doing the work) hahaha --Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-xypex-sparky-1.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-xypex-wish-shan-2.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-xypex-wish-shan-1.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-xypex-sparky.jpg  

Nice progress!

MCA
    I forgot to tell you....you are not supposed to make a deep pond. LOL

It be looking good!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast