Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I forgot to tell you....you are not supposed to make a deep pond. LOL

It be looking good!
    LOL Yeah, I've been following those two threads and am actually learning ALOT! I'm happy to know of a guy with an 8' deep pond that has been running it for over 10 years with no swim bladder problems! Finally finished the sealing of the pond... next to work on the filter pit, and start thinking about mortaring some stone around the face of the above grade portion of my pond for aesthetics. Cant wait my 3 Cetus's should be here Thursday, or Friday. Honestly though.. this probably wont be up and running till next spring... but I'm still going full speed ahead (as moneys will allow lol) and working towards getting this thing ready for my 6 koi. -Mike

Sansai
    My 3 used Cetus sieves (original models) came today. 2 of them the bellows have came off the weir part. the screens are a bear to get in and out. They are dirty, and used... but for the price I got them for, hopefully I can get them working!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-inside-2.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-inside.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-bellow-not-attached.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-2-cetus.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-extra-parts.jpg  

10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-cetuss.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-micro-screen.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-bellow-not-attached1.jpg  

Nisai
    Hi Mike,

While realising that you are concerned as to just how your pond will look once it is finished, can I urge a bit of caution before putting stonework around the waterline.

Koi are an inquisitive fish, well known for investigating the insides of skimmers for example, and you can almost guarrantee that they will just LOVE rubbing themselves against any available hard edges of stonework to relieve any itch they may get. Many an expensive koi has been ruined by scratches on their heads, and even the cheaper fish lose a lot of their charm once they have gouges in their heads.

Chris

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by ageinghippy View Post
    Hi Mike,

While realising that you are concerned as to just how your pond will look once it is finished, can I urge a bit of caution before putting stonework around the waterline.

Koi are an inquisitive fish, well known for investigating the insides of skimmers for example, and you can almost guarrantee that they will just LOVE rubbing themselves against any available hard edges of stonework to relieve any itch they may get. Many an expensive koi has been ruined by scratches on their heads, and even the cheaper fish lose a lot of their charm once they have gouges in their heads.

Chris
    Oh, sorry, I must of said it wrong... I definitely wont be putting anything like that inside of the pond. I meant stone work or whatever on the outside of my raised portion of the pond. I spent a lot of time grinding down any rough spots in my shell to try to prevent exactly what you speak of. There wont be ANYTHING on the inside wall of my pond. Thanks for your concern though. -Mike

Sansai
    this is the side I'll be putting some kind of stone or something on..... -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-outside-pond.jpg  

Nisai
    Mike,

Glad to hear that you had already decided NOT to put any stonework inside your pond, but you`d be amazed at how many pond builders DO, only to find out the hard way, once the fish go in. Another mistake commonly made is to have over-hanging coping stones, ideal for snagging your fish heads while trying to encourage hand feeding. It`s the little details.

Chris
    rifraf likes this.

MCA
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    My 3 used Cetus sieves (original models) came today. 2 of them the bellows have came off the weir part. the screens are a bear to get in and out. They are dirty, and used... but for the price I got them for, hopefully I can get them working!
    Clean them with solution of CLR and water to remove dirt and stains. Pull the screens and clean them with ZEP mold and mildew cleaner. Rinse well and they should look good excepting any scuff marks. That is what I did for the two I sold.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Clean them with solution of CLR and water to remove dirt and stains. Pull the screens and clean them with ZEP mold and mildew cleaner. Rinse well and they should look good excepting any scuff marks. That is what I did for the two I sold.
    Great advice! Thanks Mike! Right now I got permission from the crazy duck lady neighbor to dump dirt in her yard, so I'm full speed ahead wheel barreling dirt into her yard to build the filter pit. The reason I'm Full steam ahead, is she is nuts and will change her mind, cuz she actually has lost it. But soon I will be at this stage and try to get these things in top running shape, thanks for the experienced advice -Mike

Sansai
    Got my stone to face the OUTSIDE of my pond (cover the cinder blocks) it's Quarts flats... real stone. weighed in at 1,385 LB.s and is 100 square feet, hope it's enough. As small as this stuff is, I see this taking a WHILE. The guy told me to use some type of stuff, I know it's a Types S, but with something in it to make it REALLY sticky and will hold the stones forever. Anyone know the best material for this? Anyway, I see this as a LONG slow process. Oh well, as long as it's done and has a nice big flat capping quarts stones by spring. fish are READY! Heres a picture of it in the back of my truck
    -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-1400-lb-quarts-flat-stone.jpg  

Sansai
    I'm attempting to Vermeer the outside wall with Quartz flats ledge stone, VERY SLOW GOING! I'm using Mortar type S with a little bit of surface bonding adhesive stuff mixed in. I have a feeling this may take me a while. Heres some photos, of what little I got done today... FYI I've never done this before. I'm finding myself doing LOTS of things I've NEVER done before on this little Feeshy puddle.
    -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-quartz-stone-verneering5.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-quartz-stone-verneering4.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-quartz-stone-verneering3.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-quartz-stone-verneering2.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-quartz-stone-verneering1.jpg  

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast