Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build

MCA
    It all looks too familiar. Makes want to grab a cold one just remembering it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-img_0246a.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-img_0299a.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-img_0345a.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-img_0408a.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Ric,
    I'm not at home, but I'll bet 2 of these bags would fill if not overflow a 5 gallon bucket. I'll have to try it when I get home and I'll take some photos of the bags and some in a bucket and post on here
    I have some buckets laying around. so the 9 bags of balls I got aren't really a whole lot, but I spent $200 on them after talking the guy down from almost $300
    I am trying to get an actual cost comparison.

Price per cubic foot of media is one way.

If I know approximately how many "bags"/bio-balls it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    I bought some 1.6" bio balls cuz I thought it may have been a good deal? 300 per bag, and I got 9 bags for $200. Did I get ripped off?
    $50.00 per cubic foot is not bad.

Sansai
    MCA!!! That's awesome!!! hey, did you fill those blocks with concrete when you finished? Thanks for the pictures....

Ric, I finally ripped two bags open and found out that 2 bags of those balls fill a 5 gallon bucket perfectly!!! and after doing the math, I paid $22 a bag. I Plan to throw these all in a bakki shower! I also would like to make one shelf of my tower with feather rock? whats your thoughts???
    This weekend I plan to buy a couple pumps. I was thinking a couple energy efficient pumps 1/2 HP and then a couple 100 watt air pumps... PLZ tell me whats the best kind of pumps to buy and for the best price!!!!! THank you all for commenting! makes me feel like I'm NOT alone in this build... Gets lonely out there, but makes me feel good that I can post pictures on koi bito and get some reaction from YOU GUYS!!!! THanks AGAIN!

Sansai
    ok, I have a question that has been on my mind ALL DAY! I want to circulate the pond at least once if not TWICE an hour! I'm worried about my pick-up lines sucking in fish.... If i have all pick up's including B/D's, Skimmers and mid-water pick-ups gravity feeding mechanical filters, then on to pumps then to bio filters whats going to keep the fish from getting sucked into these???? I'm very worried about this. SOrry if this question is dumb, But I really want to know whats going to stop the flow from sucking in my fishy's????
    This has been really bothering me today, no idea why I haven't worried about this until now Plz reply with any ideas or suggestions!

MCA
    MCA!!! That's awesome!!! hey, did you fill those blocks with concrete when you finished? Thanks for the pictures....

A few things about my pond wall:

• sits on a 12"x12" poured beam footing that has several horizontal runs of 1/2" rebar inside.
    • at least every other block hole has 1/2" rebar down into the footing.
    • 3/8" rebar is woven horizontally between the 1/2" verticals between each block row. It creates a strong basket effect and gives perfect 3/8" mortal joint stacking horizontally.
    • when the blocks were all in, all holes filled with concrete.
    • both footing and wall have 45 degree inside corners to prevent a 90 degree corner "dead zone"
    • It ain't going anywhere
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Sansai
    WOW, That would of been a great Idea... the horizontal rebar between the layers of brick. Dang I wished you would of told me that idea before I built my wall! I Definitely don't have a level wall... the lowest point and the highest point have about 4" difference. I'm going to have to find some flat blocks (around 2" thick) and put them in the low spots and try to level my wall as close as possible.

Maybe you or someone else can help me.... I'm really concerned about my (pick-up) lines and the high pressure of water they will be "sucking in" I'm worried about my fish getting sucked into the lines. How did you plumb your pond to avoid I want to remove debree (from skimmers) and other lines, but feel I need to put a screen or something over the front to keep my fish from being sucked in. should I put like 6 pick-up lines on one circuit to keep the suction spread out? how do I plumb this thing????
    Thanks for everyones help

MCA
    The way to have a plumb and level wall is start with the footing forms. If the form is not level from the inside form wall to the outside form wall and....from any given form location to any other location....you are going to have problems build walls. I used a cheap laser level plus several sizes of levels and measurement tapes to check for plumb, level, and true (rectangular with 90 degree wall intersections). Until the form was spot on, I did not mix up the concrete. It made for am much easier wall construction.

Sansai
    Yeah! THat's totally the way I should of done it! I had existing curbing going around the edge. I should of formed on top of it and came another 6 inches higher or something and made it level. I just got in to much of a hurry. Now I'll have to work twice as hard and put different size caps on top of my block to make it level. I considered taking a level line and cutting the block at level heigth. Either way all my block will be covered and un sean so I should be able to find a way to (shim) it to level.
    I'm in a hurry to get this thing up and running by AUG. 13th as we are having a baby shower in my back yard. So hopefully I can hurry and get it done, but NOT cut corners and do it right all at the same time

Sansai

I finally got $$$ to finish my pond!!! :D

Please help me!!!! I have about five very very VERY important questions I REALLY hope yall help me with!
    I only got $5,000 and as most of you may know this doesn't go very far when you start trying to buy all the parts and peices for a pond.
    I already have a bottom drain and my walls built, hole is dug I have bought 2 settlement tanks (both around 225 gallons each), 9 bags of bio balls for a bakki and a little bit of plumbing done.
    Today I bought two 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks (for bio filter up on waterfall) $600 I then bought LOTS of plumbing and electrical fittings (for bulk head applications) 2", 3", 4" various parts pieces and lengths of piping. another $300 GONE so that leaves me around $4000. GEEZE I need to STRECH IT!
    so........ my questions are,
    1- What are the best kind of pumps to buy and for the best price? (i was thinking a couple 1/2 HP pumps (for now)
    2- A local dealer offered me a 45X40' EPDM (firestone) Liner and underlayment $1700, is this a good deal?
    3- I was thinking 2 150W air pumps, one for my B/D defuser, the other wouldbe for a moving bed and to boil possibly a static filter (for cleaning)
    4- where can I get LOTS of Kaldness and for cheap? probably shipped
    5-Is there a cheap media that can get me by for now in two 300 gallon rubbermaid (skippy style filters)????

Thanks you guys because this forum, I plan to build this koi pond RIGHT and not over stock nor underfilter!!! I say go big or GO HOME, wait unless you don't have lots of money.. haha
    Thanks for ANY SUGGESTIONS, ideas, concerns and REPLIES in advance!!!
    Mike....

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast