Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build

PM sent Mike.

Grant

As far as stetching your dollar the most, there is one option that may get you the furthest, but you won't like it. Summer season is drawing to a near end and a lot of placed are starting to mark down. If you can wait, make a list of what is needed and the suggested options for those parts from this group and stay on the internet. My main filter for my pond has dropped $80 in the last two month alone. I am sure it will go further within the next two months as will just bout anything you need. Northern stores will slash the most to stay afloat during the cold months. Their need can be your advantage...Question is how bad are you wanting to finish the pond...

Sansai
    Hey that is a GOOD POINT Jimfish!!!!
    just like right now probably get a snowboard for a great deal! didn't think about it that way.
    But to be honest Yeah I have to get this thing up and running by Aug. 13th as we are having a HUGE party in my back yard and my girlfriend is PUSHING me to get this done!
    I'll have to keep that in mind though for future add-ons, and replacements though! THanks!

Thanks Grant for the PM You are very helpful and a GREAT guy!!!! It's crazy that people on here are so helpful and well informed and give GREAT advice just for nothing more than wanting to help someone they have never met or may never meet and just help them anyway and hope they succeed!!! There is still hope for the world!
    Thanks you guys

Well if time is an issue and you want to go cheap...How fast do you think you could build a DIY Nexus. I am sure you could build as many as you need and a couple extra for a low cost.

Wayne's Static & Moving Media Combo Filter for QT (DIY Nexus))

MCA
    For our 10,000 pond , 3 water pumps. One 1/6HP Wave returning the water from each of the two Nexus filters back into the pond. I have the ballvalves on the pump outputs partly closed. So 1/8HP Wave pumps would be a gracious plenty. For the skimmer-shower circuit there is one 1/2HP Wave pump. As I remember, the 1/2HP Wave had one of the best perforance curves for suppling showers that are over 6' taller than the pump.

Sansai
    Jimfish, I'm definitely planning to build a couple settlement tanks (gravity fed) b4 pumping on to my bio filters. But thanks for the drawing I might just have to build something like that!

MCA, Why do you have the pumps throttled back? I'm planning to move at least 10,000 (if not more) GPH every hour. ALONG with eventually I plan to build some airlifts for even more circulation, to keep stuff moving and help flush all the poop and debree to the bottom drain

Wasn't able to buy much this weekend, as I was SOOOOOOO busy and EVERYTHING was closed. feel like this weekend was a loss. I shall put atleast an hour or two towards the build everynight after work this week!
    Happy 4th EVERYONE

The basics of that DIY show the settlment portion of the nexus. I am sure you could mod that slightly into just a settlment chamber until you have more time to build whatever you really want. Anything you want to DIY will save some serious cash in your budget and you can get ideas and directions here or on koiphen

MCA
    MCA, Why do you have the pumps throttled back? I'm planning to move at least 10,000 (if not more) GPH every hour. ALONG with eventually I plan to build some airlifts for even more circulation, to keep stuff moving and help flush all the poop and debree to the bottom drain
    Because you should not try tp push or pull more water through a filter system that it is designed to handle. My BDs gravity feed Nexus filters via 4" pipe. That combo handles flows in 3500gph range very well. The return pump face very little head backpressure to return the 3500gph. Ergo, I don't need much of a pump. Either a 1/6 or 1/8 HP is a gracious plenty. So I am moving ~7000gph with the two BD-Nexus circuits. Then there is a 3" pipe from the skimmmer that provides the 1/2HP pump with flooded suction. That pump is pushing around 6000gph through a Zappure 40 UV. The water then splits between two shower stacks. Bottom line, i cost effectively (capex and opex) moving >10,000gph for a turnover rate of less that one hour.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Hey Mike,

Just like MCA has to throttle his pumps back a bit to keep things moving at the right pace... The filters that Jimfish linked to won't do you any good with your build. They're far too small for the flow rate you are going to be running. Mike (MCA) is running 3500 gph through his 4" bottom drains and that's a perfect amount for minimal draw down. (draw down is the term used to describe the difference in height between the source, in this case the pond, and the filter's water level.)

Running 3500 GPH through 4" would probably produce a draw down of about 2" I'm guessing? This is something to keep in mind. Where in my pond, because I'm making my 4" line run close to 5000 GPH my draw down is closer to 5" difference of water height between the settlement raceway and main pond. Basically speaking... the greater the difference between water levels between the two areas, the more pressure the higher water level is exerting on the flow.

So be careful when setting the height of the settlement tank. You want to make sure you've got the extra height needed so that when the pump is shut off and stops pulling water from the settlement that your tank isn't so low that it overflows the settlement tank. Also, be sure that the outlets on your settlement tank aren't too high so that when the draw down occurs piping is too close to the surface.

Other factors such as radius of your elbows used in the 4" and total length of the 4" line come into play as well for establishing the amount of draw down you'll observe. My bottom drain only has one 90 degree elbow in it and it's a sweep fitting so my friction loss is minimal.

Hope I'm making sense here.

Grant

Sansai
    NICE!!! the drawdown has answered one of my questions I have had running through my head! THANKS
    BAD BAD BAD NEWS, When I first got started, well even b4 I got started a local (JERK) sold me my bottom drain. it is a 3" I converted it to a 4" right there at the drain, (by putting a 3" to 4" adtaptor on it) cause someone else told me as long as I convert it to 4 inch right at the drain there wont be a difference. The more I think about it this is resistance!!! And I hope I can still pull at least 5000 gph through it? This drain also has a defuser on it I was planning to pump air through cost me a pretty penny!!! Do I pull it out and eat it? or do you think this will be ok and I will still be able to pull 5,000 GPH through it?

I will have to just place my pipe in my settlement chamber (without glueing it) and see how far down I need to go for the draw down??? So I can pull it out and cut it as needed????

Thanks for all you replies guys

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast