Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build

So what is your plan to have it completed by Aug. 13th?

Do you have a drawing of how you plan to plumb your filters?

What have you bought and what do you still need? If you need to buy pumps the Evolution ES are good for the money and the Pondmaster AP100 is a good rebuildable air pump. If you need liner there are a few local roofing supply places that sell EPDM for a lot less than pond suppliers.

-Chris

Sansai
    SOrry for the last depressing post, I just feel over-whelmed, I NEVER thought how much work, time and money and mental stress goes into a pond build. All the time I spent hunting for materails and tools, rebuilding and changing my mind. Lots of time and money has been wasted. I refuse to put my tail between my legs and run! SHEESH!!! This thing has about drained me. I hope when it's finished it will be ALL WORTH it!!!!!

Hey Dubtaco!!
    I actually have already bought two evolution 5500 pumps, and bought one pondmaster 100.
    I have most of all my plumbing into the pond I still need to plumb my filter pit and filters and run a circuit for my skimmer and one or maybe two mid-water pick-ups. I actually have TONS of work to do, some can be done after it is up and running.
    BUT!!!!!!!! I thought it was a BAD idea to buy roofing liner cause it has fire retardant and other BAD chemicals in it, and didn't last as long as like firestone .45 EPDM Liner??? plz plz tell me? I want to get a 40X40 piece and can do so for just a little over 1k from pond liner dot com??? is roofing cheaper? and do I trust it???

About the liner, I never heard that about EPDM roofing liner but don't take my word for it cus I haven't really researched it. Was asking for a filter drawing because by reviewing it we might be able to help you avoid any further headaches..

Do NOT use roofing liner. Firestone makes both, the roofing liner and pond guard stuff. Both are 45mil. But one has a strong algaecide in it, and the other is for ponds...

Sansai
    (for now) I have two 225 gallon tanks which I'm turning into settlement tanks. One for one of my bottom drains another for my skimmers. both S/C's will have 4" gravity fed into them and gravity fed out. Then from there they both will go to my two pumps. One pump will go up and TEE off into my two 300 gallon bio stock tanks (skippy filter style). The other pump I may just pump back through my TPR's for now. I would like to (eventually) build a bakki tower and have it gravity feed my TPR's Also would eventually like to get another air pump to AIR-LIFT water from my (upper) bottom drain and back through TPR's. For now though I just have to have this pond up and running for a BIG party we are having Aug. 13th.
    So probably just have the two settlement chambers and then pumped up to the bio filters and also back through the TPR's. (Maybe DIY a Bakki) then to TPR's.
    My Girlfriend actually purchased a savio skimmer, so I have plumbed that into the side of the pond, and on the same circuit I'll tee off to another skimmer (pool type) and have them both run through a 4" pipe to a s/c. which will have one of my pumps pull hopefully 5,000 GPH from it.
    I put in two 2" lines both with 4 TPR's around my pond about 24" from the top of the water level. They neck down to 1 1/2" where they push through the pond walls. Not sure this is going to work, I may only run 1/2 the TPR's with one of my 5500 pumps and see if it circulates the water.
    Ok, I feel like i'm rambling in circles here hahaha
    Oh And BTW.....
    Thanks for the heads up Grant! I want good clean healthy water, and DON'T want to take any chances! So I'll go with the pond guard firestone. If nothing else it will give me peace of mind.

Sansai
    Well... Since I posted last I have since dug out a footing outside of the existing brick. 18" x 8" thick. It was a little over one cubic yard of cement. I also plumbed in a total of 8 TPR's. I have installed a 4" bottom drain on my upper shelf (5' depth) and changed my old 3" bottom drain on the lower shelf (8' depth). I sleep much better now knowing it is now a 4"
    I have also installed a savio skimmer and started plumbing the PVC for it.
    (OH BTW) has anyone ever tried to plumb PVC around a curve? wow! you have to buy 22 degreee fittings, and 45's. that was a huge challenge for me to figure out.
    Anyway Me and my girlfriend out of 3/4" PVC tried to make an air defuser for the bottom of one of my 300 gallon stock bio tanks. put it all together, filled the tank with water, hooked up the pondmaster 100. Yup! you guessed it! DIDN'T WORK!!! not enough air to distribute through the whole thing. Guess we'll have to either spread the holes out more, or make it smaller.
    I have posted some new pictures!! The first picture is of our timely mistake attempt to build an air defuser (to boil and clean) for one of the filters. I also have since got a TRUCK load of carpet for underlayment... I definitely think I'll need more!!!
    -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-1.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-2.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-3.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-4.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-5.jpg  

10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-6.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-7.jpg  

Hiya Mike,

The pond seems to be moving along quite well. Impressive amount of water returns. You'll be glad you put them in as time goes by.

As for your air grid. Yeah, that's wayyy too many holes, and too big. For mine I drilled smaller holes and then put it under an inch of water. After that, I had it running and added more holes with my drill until the last hole I drilled didn't flow air, then I stopped.

You may be able to fill all the holes you have in it with PVC cement then start over to prevent having to build a new manifold. Start with a smaller drill bit and half the holes and then try it the way I did it...?

Good job so far. You're going to end up with a first rate pond when you're done!

As to piping around curves... If you're careful you can heat up the PVC with a tiger torch and then bend it. It's a little tricky at first, but after a few you'll get hang of it. The trick is to not have the inside of the bend on the pipe wrinkle or kink. Some people have plugged both ends so that as the PVC heats up the air inside the pipe expands exerting pressure on the pipe which helps the pipe keep it's shape. For the one bend I did I didn't do that for fear of the pipe exploding or something, plus I didn't need a 90 degree bend, just a slight bend over the length of the pipe...

Grant

Sansai
    GRANT!!!!
    Hey buddy! I think I figured out the curve for the PVC, I actually ended up buying a few 22 degree and 11 degree fittings. I added up all my fittings from my furthest skimmer and I havea little over 400 degrees SHEESH thats some resistance. Hope this will still operate, or hope it doesn't draw ALL from my (pool skimmer) which is closer to the S/C.
    I have to be honest.... This WHOLE pond thing I almost feel like I have bit off MORE than I can chew!! I wished I would have done my homework before I started digging. LOL
    I really don't know how it's all going to work, I have two TPR circuits both with 4 TPR's they are 2" line that TEE into 1 1/2" returning to the pond. I didn't put valves on each one I REALLY think I prolly should to control how much is going where. Just MORE FLIPPING $$$$$. We (me n my girlfriend) are saving for the liner. So far this whole thing has cost me atleast $7,000 in materials and equipment. WAY MORE than I ever expected. PVC has doubled in price just since last year. Sorry, I dont usually whine! hahaa... So back to the way YOU made your air defuser! WHERE were you when we were building it? hahaha I actually said "SCREW IT" and used it for a frame to tie my plastic screen to and put it in the botto of my bio filter. Then filled the 300 gallon tub with exactly 9,000' of plastic strapping. I'm sure I'll be able to put MORE in!! Not sure if I should smash it in? or just let it sit in there loosly??????
    anyways thanks for asking Grant!!! You're a good man, and one of the only people here who have REALLY helped me along! THANK YOU!!!
    Here are some pictures of one of my 300 gallon bio tanks..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-roof-top-ladder.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-plumbing-300-gal-bio-filter.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-homemade-air-defuser.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-air-defuser-plastic-screen-over-.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-completed.jpg  

10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-n-side-ladder.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-north-side.jpg  

Tosai
    Maybe you could fill in every-other hole in the diffuser so you have adequate flow to all areas. A little time with some PL Roof Flashing should work fine.

Keep up the good work!

Raymond.

Sansai
    thanks raymond!!! I'll probably have to fill four holes, then leave one... and so on lol that pumpd let air out a 1/4 of the defuser ~

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast