Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build

Sansai

10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build

Ok.....
    After Many upon MANY hours of reading this forum I think I finally have figured it out! I will post this one thread of my whole construction progress of building my 10,000 to maybe 12,000 gallon pond. I will post pictures as I move forward in my build. So far I have changed my mind probably 10 different times on how exactly I want to do this. OH and realized this is going to cost a LOT more than first expected!!!!
    I have got TONS of advice from MANY of you great hobbiest!!! I want to thank ALL of you for your MANY replies to my questions and ideas!!!
    with that being said... so far I have a HUGE hole dug I have laid over 300 cinder blocks and retaining wall bricks. I have purchased 2 S/C tanks one is a horizontal 225 gallon... the other is a 200 gallon vertical. I'm planning to have a waterfall, a bakki shower, possibly 4 or 5 settling chambers 2 per bottom drain and one for my (two) skimmers. I plan to have TPR's and a winter bypass to turn off bakki and waterfall for the COLD winters I have here in Utah.
    I will now post all pictures I have thus far from start to finish. I should of took more pictures of before I even started the project. Oh and sorry for the louzy pics... its from my POS phone, until I can aford a REAL camera
    Please feel free to let me know of any Idea's or changes you would make if you see ANYTHING!!!!! I love constructive critisim! especially when I'm spending SO MUCH MONEY AND TIME on a project that I have NEVER attempted to do before.
    I will keep this thread going through the rest of the build. Please check on it when it's up top of the list again? I may have 100's of more questions and you guys and gals are all EXPERTS as I see it! And I love your advice and help!!!!!!
    Thank You all once again! you guys are the best!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-before-pic.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-back-yard-may-2011.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-back-yard-june-2011.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-june-23-2011.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-main-fish-bowl.jpg  

10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-side-view-waterfall-june-2011.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-side-view-june-23-2011.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-two-tanks-i-got-settlment-chambers.jpg   10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-pic-main-hold-pond.jpg  

Sansai
    If by chance you're wondering why I decided to spend my whole summer working my butt off, and spending every extra penny I get? It's because I have 8 great wonderfull koi and 4 or so goldfish that need to be relocated out of my 400 gallon pond.
    picture of little 400 gallon pond
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 to 12 thousand gallon pond build-one-day-huge-pond.jpg  

Oyagoi
    good luck with project

I would keep the goldies in the little pond

Sansai
    Really? why would you do that? to keep them from breeding? I figured they would love the new big house i built for them?
    Please let me know.... I was hoping to shut this pond off except keep it for like a hospitol tank, and or quarintine?

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Really? why would you do that? to keep them from breeding? I figured they would love the new big house i built for them?
    Please let me know.... I was hoping to shut this pond off except keep it for like a hospitol tank, and or quarintine?
    pretty much answered your self.

keep them from breeding.man will they go nuts forget about the saying breed like rabbits, goldfish are much worse.I started with 7 sarrassa in my 5500 gallon watergarden .built then what i call waste pond(13,000 gallon pond that gets the backwash from koi pond) well there is always hundreds every spring i sell off for 5 (or MORE)for $1 (up to 6 inches ask for $10 worth and you get ALOT more)
    and then even more impossible to catch in a big pond..mine drained down all the way to deal with waterlilies and other stuff.

and then you said use small pond as QT this way you can keep the bio part of that pond going from the unresistable little koi you find.that is another reason to keep in little pond.
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

Nisai
    looks great,cant wait to see more pictures

Sansai
    Yeah I've actually watched the goldies do their "dance" i think they were spawning.... two of my neighbors have small ponds and produces 100's of baby gold fish every year... I think the reason I haven't is cause i have the population control committee in there with them AKA- "KOI" who dont allow NO babies in the pond. With all my observations though I know which ones are the males and femals. The males relentlessly chase the poor females around.. maybe i'll keep the 2 males in the little pond and let the 2 females live with the koi??? whats your thoughts?

Thanks SMK I'm trying to lay more block today, so by days end I'll probably post another pic of work done just today...

MCA
    A pond system designed for koi is by definition not designed for goldfish..and vice versa. Koi are large riverine carp...goldfish are not. Koi can use all the depth, volume and current you can throw at them. Goldfish would be lost in a deep pond and are NOT evolved to handle riverine currents.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    A pond system designed for koi is by definition not designed for goldfish..and vice versa. Koi are large riverine carp...goldfish are not. Koi can use all the depth, volume and current you can throw at them. Goldfish would be lost in a deep pond and are NOT evolved to handle riverine currents.
    I think modern day Koi have "evolved" into carp that can get by without riverine currents.

Sansai
    Well.....
    After consideration I most likely will leave all the goldies in the "small pond" I'm just a little scured that without koi in there they might have thousands of babies :|
    As far as current and depth are concerned the pond will be 8' deep and I plan to try to keep LOTS of current in there to flush out all debree and fish poop. Also I hope it will make my fish stronger, bigger and healthier. I do agree with ric though... I have been to a local ladies koi pond and she turns her pond over once prolly every 6 hours and has almost NO MOVEMENT... she has some HUGE (FAT) koi. She has had some of her BIG 36 inch plus size fish for like 25 plus years. She tried talking me into NOT using jets and said fish need rest.. hahaha I didn't want to argue with her and said i'm still thinking it all through. But in reality... when everything is said and done, I hope to turn the water rate over around twice an hour. I will have to shoot for this over the next year or so. At first I'll probably only have two 1/2 HP pumps. Eventually as money and time allows, I hope to have a GREAT "air lift" add-on somewhere to help increase the flow and turn over. I was really inspired by Carolinagirl's airlift. I hope to make it similar perhaps with a bigger air pump.
    I really appreciate your guys input please keep it comming even if you disagree or have some great idea's!!!!! Cause I am still in the build process... I can change ALOT of things if someone has better thoughts of how I should run my system.
    I found on a local classified add some guy has like UNLIMMITED supply of bio-balls???? he said $30 for a bag of 700 balls. he said he has a truck load of bags! Should I go relieve him of about 7 of these bags? Is this a great deal? I was thinking I could put them in a few DIY filters and possibly a tray or two in my Bakki tower I'm planning to build.
    PLZ Keep the feedback comming!!! This is getting MORE and MORE exciting the further along I get and the MORE it's starting to look like a pond

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast