Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Small pressurized filters?

Fry

Small pressurized filters?

I'm constructing a ~1000 gallon pond. As I live in the city and am short on space, I'm considering getting a commercially made pressurized filter. I've seen examples like the Laguna Pressure Flo, the Tetra Pond Bio-Active, and the Fish Mate line. I think I want a filter that includes a UV clarifier.

Does anyone have experience with these (or other brands)?

Quote Originally Posted by choatie88 View Post
    I'm constructing a ~1000 gallon pond. As I live in the city and am short on space, I'm considering getting a commercially made pressurized filter. I've seen examples like the Laguna Pressure Flo, the Tetra Pond Bio-Active, and the Fish Mate line. I think I want a filter that includes a UV clarifier.

Does anyone have experience with these (or other brands)?
    I use the Sicce Green 40 on my pond. I am running it with a 2000gph pump and it works great for me. It has a built in UV, bio balls, sponges, etc...The backwash is easy and I really only touch it biweekly. I backwash maybe 50g biweekly to fertalize my trees and such. My pond is roughly 1800 gallons. I do have an old small filter on the side that I use too just because it still works and i will run it until the replacement parts are no longer free. That one is a box store one running another 1300gph. The box store one has broken the last two times i shut it off and the Sicce is covering everything just fine on its own when the second shuts down. The water stays clear and I have no real complaints on it. This is also with an over stock of fish and a rock bottom.

You will have to watch the fittings on it. It is made in Italy and the hose sizes do not match up exact to US sizes. You may need some adaptors and a clamp on each hose. I purchased mine through a local dealer and they were willing to throw 25ft of hose and the adaptors in for free when I bought it.

Backwash in itself goes fast and easy. Once you are done with the sponge cleaning, let the back wash run a little longer until the water clears up on the outflow before switching it back to filter mode. Also there is a lower model that is cheaper, but most people in here will tell ya to go bigger the first time around and it pays off.