Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Cutting Japanese Mat

Cutting Japanese Mat

I am looking for suggestions on how (what tool) to cut Japanese mat into strips.

And for future reference; How to cut Matala filter mat.

Sansai
    Hi Ric:

Depends on how many cuts you need to make. Less than 10 - 20, I'd use a jigsaw and freehand over the edge of a workbench.

More than that and I'd put together a quick jig for the circle saw.

Build a "sandwich". Use rigid foam board or equivalent as a sacrificial fence on the bottom. The J-mat slides up against a fixed fence (the same thickness as the J-mat) which is glued to the foam board and forms the middle layer. Another piece of wood (the same length as the fence) is screwed into the top of the fixed fence (outrigger style) and serves as the offset for a circle saw. Set your saw to cut the full depth of the J-mat + 0.25" and you can go to town. You'd have to pull the freshly cut strip out after each cut and reset the remaining mat, but you could probably get pretty quick at this.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by webted View Post
    Hi Ric:
    Depends on how many cuts you need to make. Less than 10 - 20, I'd use a jigsaw and freehand over the edge of a workbench.

More than that and I'd put together a quick jig for the circle saw.

Build a "sandwich". Use rigid foam board or equivalent as a sacrificial fence on the bottom. The J-mat slides up against a fixed fence (the same thickness as the J-mat) which is glued to the foam board and forms the middle layer. Another piece of wood (the same length as the fence) is screwed into the top of the fixed fence (outrigger style) and serves as the offset for a circle saw. Set your saw to cut the full depth of the J-mat + 0.25" and you can go to town. You'd have to pull the freshly cut strip out after each cut and reset the remaining mat, but you could probably get pretty quick at this.
    -t
    Thanks!!

What blade would you recommend for a circular saw?

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Thanks!!

What blade would you recommend for a circular saw?
    Thin and cheap. Plastic heats up, melts and sometimes sticks to the teeth (or between the teeth). I pay $30 on up for "nice" 7&1/4" blades, but for this, I'd be looking in the <$5 rack.

Don't be surprised if the spray coming off the saw feels like a you're getting sandblasted - I sometimes wear a face shield when I cut plastic on the table saw because of the particle storm.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by webted View Post
    Thin and cheap. Plastic heats up, melts and sometimes sticks to the teeth (or between the teeth). I pay $30 on up for "nice" 7&1/4" blades, but for this, I'd be looking in the <$5 rack.

Don't be surprised if the spray coming off the saw feels like a you're getting sandblasted - I sometimes wear a face shield when I cut plastic on the table saw because of the particle storm.
    -t
    I plan on taking your advice.

I saw in Waddy's Koi Kichi book a picture (pg. 58) of a guy cutting Japanese filter matting on a table saw using a "knife-edged" blade. The picture makes it look easy, the circular saw knife blades are expensive and hard to find.