Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pond filtration question

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    What do I tell Bob is your idea?
    you can tell find good prefilter then Ultima filter + S/G or Perma bead media + good UV's for fine polish.

Update:

I spoke to Bob today. You (some of you) solved his problem.

Bob told me that he put the original (black) Ultima II media back into his filter and the water cleared up by the next day!

Bob said I had mentioned the wrong pump. He has the 1/2 HP model.

I went by Bob's house after the Koi club meeting to see his pond with a couple of other ZNA club members.

Lesson learned (or the moral of the story); Just because somebody tells you that another plastic media is better... it might not be the best media for your particular filter.

I have the above media setting in a glass of water.
    All of the Kaldnes K1 is floating. All, except for one, of the white Ultima II media has sank to the bottom of the glass. Some of the black Utima II sank and the rest that is floating has very small bubbles visible inside.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post

I have the above media setting in a glass of water.
    All of the Kaldnes K1 is floating. All, except for one, of the white Ultima II media has sank to the bottom of the glass. Some of the black Utima II sank and the rest that is floating has very small bubbles visible inside.
    I use the Ultra media in many of my filters, and your experience in the glass of water is to be expected. The media is only slightly negatively buoyant so at first some of it will float. It takes a while for it to release the tiny bubbles that are making it float, and soak up a little moisture. Replacing the media to factory will help a lot, and a pre-pump pre-filter will help as well. The less debris that goes into a bead filter the better. This is exponentially the case if a sieve filter is used before the bead. You can see in the video that DOC's are, I don't want to say a problem, but more of a nuisance. The foam around the waterfall is what makes me say this. The DOC's are being created due to all the debris being trapped in a leaf basket, or bead filter, where it dissolves into the water. This should be the next area that is address on this pond to really bring the water clarity to a higher level.

Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
    I use the Ultra media in many of my filters, and your experience in the glass of water is to be expected. The media is only slightly negatively buoyant so at first some of it will float. It takes a while for it to release the tiny bubbles that are making it float, and soak up a little moisture. Replacing the media to factory will help a lot, and a pre-pump pre-filter will help as well. The less debris that goes into a bead filter the better. This is exponentially the case if a sieve filter is used before the bead. You can see in the video that DOC's are, I don't want to say a problem, but more of a nuisance. The foam around the waterfall is what makes me say this. The DOC's are being created due to all the debris being trapped in a leaf basket, or bead filter, where it dissolves into the water. This should be the next area that is address on this pond to really bring the water clarity to a higher level.
    Zac
    Thanks! I will pass the information onto Bob.

Ricshaw thinking out loud... When I look at Bob's pond filter system, how many professional pond builders would be satisfied with the results? I think most would be because I am seeing more and more ponds with bead filters and UVs for filtration. If a pond builder's customer is not a "Koi Kichi" person, they probably want something clean and simple looking (like Bob's) for pond filtration.

Tosai
    I'm glad that I came across this thread. I purchased two Ultima II 6000 filters. The previous owner changed out the original black media for the white replacement media. (He was using the filters for aquaculture and they would clog up too fast with the black media and had to backwash twice a day.) I've been using one of the 6000 model filters for a 1500 gal pond for over two months now. The water never got clear. I've tried seeding the filters with beneficial bacteria many times with no improvement. I've even hung up a tarp to shade the sun from the pond. (I've always had the thought that the original black media may work better.) It has been frustrating. ...Especially after reading reviews that these filters helped clear up water in koi ponds. I had high hopes!

The issue is now- Where do I get the original black media?? The stores/dealers that carry these filters only sell the white replacement media. They only sell the original black media WITH the filters. I've tried searching online, but can only find the white media for sale. ....Why is this?? Do I need to call Ultraviolet Aqua and complain?? Is there anyone with leads to the orginal black media for the Ultima II filters??

Thank you!

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Koi Coconut View Post
    I'm glad that I came across this thread. I purchased two Ultima II 6000 filters. The previous owner changed out the original black media for the white replacement media. (He was using the filters for aquaculture and they would clog up too fast with the black media and had to backwash twice a day.) I've been using one of the 6000 model filters for a 1500 gal pond for over two months now. The water never got clear. I've tried seeding the filters with beneficial bacteria many times with no improvement. I've even hung up a tarp to shade the sun from the pond. (I've always had the thought that the original black media may work better.) It has been frustrating. ...Especially after reading reviews that these filters helped clear up water in koi ponds. I had high hopes!

The issue is now- Where do I get the original black media?? The stores/dealers that carry these filters only sell the white replacement media. They only sell the original black media WITH the filters. I've tried searching online, but can only find the white media for sale. ....Why is this?? Do I need to call Ultraviolet Aqua and complain?? Is there anyone with leads to the orginal black media for the Ultima II filters??

Thank you!
    Check your SN# then call UA there happy to sell you black media the one that you looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12