Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond filtration question

Pond filtration question

My friend Bob has a problem which I do not have an answer.

Maybe as a group we can come up with an answer.

Bob's pond is a 2 year old concrete pond. The pond is 4000 gallon and 5 feet deep. The pump is a Sequence 6800PRM19 1/3 HP, 369 Watt, 6800 GPH Koi pond pump. The filter is an Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II bio-menchanical filter (10,000 gallon pond model). Bob added a Matala 150 Watt U.V.

The pond water quality tests good, but the water clarity is the problem.

I think Bob needs another piece of filter equipment to filter the "fines".
    Bob and I are thinking maybe a sand or bead filter.

What do you think?

Question: What piece of equipment can Bob add to his filtration system to improve the pond water clarity?

Oyagoi
    looks like media you used in ultima is K1
    that is almost neutrel in bouyancy and needs biofilm to make it sink for use in moving bed media.
    the ultima is a downflow filter so more then likely not getting the k1 to sink at all and just floating around inside filter.

you need a heavier material to sink .they have a white tubalar media used for replacement media instead of the shorter black stuff that comes with filter.no idea why they will not sell you black but they do not.

Before you replace or add anything I would try to reduce the flow rate on the pump and let it run for 2 days. If the water clears then you know you are pushing to much water threw the filter.

This could be corrected by installing a bypass around the filter and using valves to adjust the flow.

Another option would be to replace the media with some of this media from Seagate filters:

Seagates Filters Inc

Paul, kinda hit the nail on the head, if the media is constantly fighting the flow of water inside the filter it will never filter debris very well. The original media needs to be reinstalled, that's the first thing.

Second, the flow rate looks about right for the pump in "filter" mode for the Ultima but in the backflush mode it may not be powerful enough. When installing Ultimas, I like using 2-speed pumps for this reason.

Is Bob relying on the little sight glass on the filter head when backwashing? If so, changing to a real sight glass will help a bit as well.
    Something like this works much better, http://www.bwkoi.com/PVC-Fittings-Sight-Glass/Sight-Glass-p-179.html

Knowing the filter cleaning regiment would also be helpful as well, how often, how many backwash/rinse cycles per cleaning....etc?

Thanks Guys, I have forwarded all your suggestions to Bob.

It sounds like he needs to start with by putting back the original black media that came with the Ultima II filter.

Since the media is new, do you recommend "cleaning" it first with PP before using it?

Another question added:

Recommended pump for Ultima II 10,000 filter is 7,500 gph at 10' of head pump.

The Sequence 6800PRM19 is rated at about 4800 GPH @ 10 ft. of head.

Is this pump too small as suggested above?
    Last edited by ricshaw; 08-15-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added pump question

Quote Originally Posted by Scrmnkg View Post
    Knowing the filter cleaning regiment would also be helpful as well, how often, how many backwash/rinse cycles per cleaning....etc?
    Bob is a long time "Koi club" acquaintance and a experienced Koi keeper.

He has been asking me and we have been discussing this problem at Koi club meetings for about 6 months.

This is Bob's fourth pond and the first one that he has had a problem keeping the water "clear". His past ponds have all had DIY open filtration systems.

He told me his filter cleaning regiment, but I do not remember the details.

Bob said sometimes the pond is clear and sometimes cloudy, but no connection to cleaning, etc. Bob keeps a log of all maintenance, testing, etc.

He did say why he changed the filter media that came with his filter. He said it was black and he changed the media to white because he wanted to see the change in color as the media became established.

Bob has not responded yet to the emails with your suggestions yet. I will see Bob at next Sunday's So Cal ZNA club meeting.

Oyagoi
    i think with all ultimas the best thing is to match pump speed with max flow.not so much for filter mode but backwash mode or as suggested 2 speed pump.

i know does not apply t this set up but if you have submersible pump what helps with backwash is give a second of sucking air then back in water.few times of bubbles rising while it is circular backwash motion seems to help knock even more loose

Indeed, Ultima filter pump recomendations are based on what is needed for the cleaning mode not the filtering mode. IMO, his current pump is well suited for filtering ( I don't care what pressurized filter brand your talking about, I would not recommend more the 80gpm ) but insuficient for backwashing without a blower.

Nisai

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    My friend Bob has a problem which I do not have an answer.

Maybe as a group we can come up with an answer.

Bob's pond is a 2 year old concrete pond. The pond is 4000 gallon and 5 feet deep. The pump is a Sequence 6800PRM19 1/3 HP, 369 Watt, 6800 GPH Koi pond pump. The filter is an Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II bio-menchanical filter (10,000 gallon pond model). Bob added a Matala 150 Watt U.V.

The pond water quality tests good, but the water clarity is the problem.

I think Bob needs another piece of filter equipment to filter the "fines".
    Bob and I are thinking maybe a sand or bead filter.

What do you think?

Question: What piece of equipment can Bob add to his filtration system to improve the pond water clarity?

To bob this is my idea OK
    I had DIY ultima beads combine with perma beads with advantage evolution SSE7800. For 3400gallon pond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond filtration question-img_4968.jpg   Pond filtration question-pic-8-16-11-027.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BAVOTOI View Post
    To bob this is my idea OK
    I had DIY ultima beads combine with perma beads with advantage evolution SSE7800. For 3400gallon pond.
    What do I tell Bob is your idea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast