Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: pump flow problems

Nisai

pump flow problems

ok so Im having some pump flow problems. when I turn the pump off to clean the suction basket I lose the flow and have a very hard time getting it back. my check valve before the basket pot is a flapper type with metal on metal. every time I fill the pot up to turn the pump back on the water slowly drains from thru the check valve. there is like 20 feet of pipe between the bottom drain and the pond and the pump is above the water level so it takes me almost 30+ times of quickly filling that prime pot up to get my suction. Ive had several ideas to fix this and figured I would run them across the pros (thats you!)
    1. try to fix a silicone bead on the check valve to hold the water
    2. run a bypass line around the pot so i can keep the pump running while cleaning the basket
    3. put the pump in the ground under the water lvl (this would be extremely complicated and hard but if I have to.....
    4. whatever u guys suggest?
    Ill appreciate any input. thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by hulsey View Post
    ok so Im having some pump flow problems. when I turn the pump off to clean the suction basket I lose the flow and have a very hard time getting it back. my check valve before the basket pot is a flapper type with metal on metal. every time I fill the pot up to turn the pump back on the water slowly drains from thru the check valve. there is like 20 feet of pipe between the bottom drain and the pond and the pump is above the water level so it takes me almost 30+ times of quickly filling that prime pot up to get my suction. Ive had several ideas to fix this and figured I would run them across the pros (thats you!)
    1. try to fix a silicone bead on the check valve to hold the water
    2. run a bypass line around the pot so i can keep the pump running while cleaning the basket
    3. put the pump in the ground under the water lvl (this would be extremely complicated and hard but if I have to.....
    4. whatever u guys suggest?
    Ill appreciate any input. thanks guys!
    A simple solution may be to install a ball valve between the drain and the pump.

Close the valve before cleaning the pump leaf basket.

Open the valve just before turning on the pump.

Nisai

think so?

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    A simple solution may be to install a ball valve between the drain and the pump.

Close the valve before cleaning the pump leaf basket.

Open the valve just before turning on the pump.
    I had this same thing mentioned my another person. one other suggestion was put a ball valve in the line with a water hose on it to continuous water flow to the pipe untill suction was esstablished. I feel like this shouldnt even be a hard problem considering I am a process operator but pond pumps just are not my speciality !)

Quote Originally Posted by hulsey View Post
    I had this same thing mentioned my another person. one other suggestion was put a ball valve in the line with a water hose on it to continuous water flow to the pipe untill suction was esstablished. I feel like this shouldnt even be a hard problem considering I am a process operator but pond pumps just are not my speciality !)
    You could have them both; one to prevent the pump from losing its prime, the other to help the pump get primed.

The big problem is what is going to happen if the power to the pump goes off when you are not home?

Nisai
    well the water would only go in while im trying to start the pump or add water to the pond

Nisai
    i tried the ball valve and it worked like a charm. only have to prime the pump once or twice now. THANKS!

jcn

pump flow problems.

sssssssssssssssssssssssss

MCA
    Put the pump in a new location where it is below normal pond levels. That gives you flooded suction. The pump will be primed provided the water level is high enough. Still put the ball valve on the intake so you can clean the basket.