Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pond Build, advice needed.

here is another take on this pond design...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond Build, advice needed.-image-1.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Brother Ratha

Nothing scientific about running the filteration bay parallel to the body length . Just a matter of duration and exposure of water to the filteration media and a matter of directing the drainages to the chamber in the shortest manner for settlement .

Consideration is taken on turnover before you decide on the number of pumps you want to have basis on the size or volumn of your water .

Most single horse pump can generate or pump about 5,000 gallon of water an hour and if you're looking for a single cycle , then 2 of the single horse pumps will do the trick . Basis 2 pumps , it would be recommended that you incorporate only 2 bottom drains of 4 inches to enable the displacement to work efficiently . You can be assured ..." Gaurantee " , under such configuration , you will never have to worry about waste sinking at the bottom of these drains . If you're looking at 2 cycle an hour , then I would recommend that you look at 4 of the single horse pumps , and with this , you can have 4 by 4 inches bottom drainage . This turnover rate is basis the 10,000 gallon or 40 tonne pond you have in mind . Similarly , if you're looking at opening up more holes , then you have to work out the imput against the output . With too many drainages and low output of water ( regardless of pond size ) , the bottom drains and skimmers will never work efficiently .

Many worried or experienced clogging in the bottom drains over the years , and I can only say that this is mainly due to poor configurations of pumps and bottom drainage .

I hope this provides you with some ideas on efficiencies of bottom drain and pumps to be used ...

David
    Bro David, without your guidance I would have built a completely useless pond, but this clears a lot of questions for me right now and I think I have everything for construction.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by SRATHA View Post
    here is another take on this pond design...
    hey i am kind of planning on building a new pond having bay filtration type incorporated much like the one you have.. except different dimensions.. filter is going to be half the size of the main pond and 1/3 of the whole thing

right now the important piece of the puzzle i'm trying to obtain is the flow from one filter chamber to the next. it's probably simple but jz wanted to be sure.. probably i'm looking for the proper design?

so do you think the one in your design maximizes the media exposure overall? i would think it promotes horizontal flow only, but how should I know, i'm a newbie. thoughts?

hello Ismolbil,
    My design is heavily inspired by Brother David's skylar pond.
    here is a link to his youtube video that shows you how he built this pond.
    I hope Brother David doesn't mind me sharing this video as it proves to be very educational for myself and am sure many others.

Making of Skylar's Pond - - YouTube

Tosai
    hi sratha,
    in truth, same goes for me.. ive been silently lurking around bito for quite some time..just reading stuff and amazed with much info gathered in one setting. i've been a koi keeper for a year. you know how it goes, my hobby gets the best of me so i'm gonna make the better pond. twas designed just like the pond on the video, but smaller.. 2 M x 7 M x 0.75 M excluding filter. thanks for the vid by the way.. i really like the design overall.. perfect example of simplicity..

Quote Originally Posted by ismolbil View Post
    hi sratha,
    in truth, same goes for me.. ive been silently lurking around bito for quite some time..just reading stuff and amazed with much info gathered in one setting. i've been a koi keeper for a year. you know how it goes, my hobby gets the best of me so i'm gonna make the better pond. twas designed just like the pond on the video, but smaller.. 2 M x 7 M x 0.75 M excluding filter. thanks for the vid by the way.. i really like the design overall.. perfect example of simplicity..
    Ismolbil,
    Glad it was helpful, but all credits to brother David. His pond however is very labour intensive with cleaning out his diy sieve filter twice daily and Jmats once every fortnight (don't quote me).

My main problem, and what made me decide to move towards a new pond was that, my original pond lacked proper filtration, running water systems with no bottom drains, on top of that, it was impossible to cover my pond as it would ruin the design of my house, my pond was getting too much exposure to sunlight and algae growth was a problem. Overall, it was inefficient to continue with the current pond and decide a new pond with proper filtration etc.

My initial design was leaning towards the bakki showers design, however with the noise levels the design made, it bothered me, so bay filters were much better in terms of noise levels. From my observation, the bakki showers provide a smaller footprint compared to the bays, however again the noise levels. The bay filtration system could be just as effective if setup correctly.

Ratha

construction starts... day 1, removing tiles from flooring. It doesn't seem much, its been raining cats and dogs here, so progress on the first day is very slow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond Build, advice needed.-imag0010.jpg   Pond Build, advice needed.-imag0008.jpg  

Everyone is on a Cambodian holiday so construction has been slow, however today we restart again. Here are pictures of the progress, we begin digging up the hole, it should be 1.5 meters deep with the shallow end 1.2 meters. Some of the constructors have not returned so there are just 2 working, I hope progress will be much quicker soon.

* I also visited a friend's pond to see his pond design, he houses some of these fish. As of now it is roughly 1.5 meters, can you guess what they are?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond Build, advice needed.-imag0030.jpg   Pond Build, advice needed.-imag0028.jpg   Pond Build, advice needed.-imag0018.jpg   Pond Build, advice needed.-imag0015.jpg   Pond Build, advice needed.-imag0016.jpg  

Pond Build, advice needed.-imag0017.jpg  

WAC
    Tosai
    Very cool looking Arapaima ... how big are they?

Quote Originally Posted by SRATHA View Post
    Everyone is on a Cambodian holiday so construction has been slow, however today we restart again. Here are pictures of the progress, we begin digging up the hole, it should be 1.5 meters deep with the shallow end 1.2 meters. Some of the constructors have not returned so there are just 2 working, I hope progress will be much quicker soon.

* I also visited a friend's pond to see his pond design, he houses some of these fish. As of now it is roughly 1.5 meters, can you guess what they are?

Brother Ratha ,

These are the Arapaima ( largest fresh water fish from the Amazon ) and the other with the longer beak is the Alligator Gar . I used to have a holding glass tank that's 12 meter long , 2 meter wide and 1.2 meter .
    The viewing glass was almost 3 inches thick . I no longer keep them ..

Nice construction going on Brother Ratha . I hope this new pond bring you much Joy .

David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast