Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pond Build, advice needed.

Pond Build, advice needed.

hello and good evening to you all,
    I am finally building a pond dedicated to koi keeping, and this is my first ever koi pond design. So please let me know what and how I could improve this design.
    I will be using bay filter system, with 5 submersible pumps, 1 bay with cockle shells, 2 with Jmats, and one with diy sieve screen made out of fine wire mesh.
    As can be seen, I might however add some bacteria house when I can afford them in the future.
    without further adieu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond Build, advice needed.-photo.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by SRATHA View Post
    hello and good evening to you all,
    I am finally building a pond dedicated to koi keeping, and this is my first ever koi pond design. So please let me know what and how I could improve this design.
    I will be using bay filter system, with 5 submersible pumps, 1 bay with cockle shells, 2 with Jmats, and one with diy sieve screen made out of fine wire mesh.
    As can be seen, I might however add some bacteria house when I can afford them in the future.
    without further adieu.
    Good Day Brother Ratha

It's nice to embark on a new project , but I guess you can consider having the filteration bay running parallel to the length of the pond instead of the width ?? Have you any space constraint over this project ??

David

Brother David, thank you for taking some time off and advise this newbie with this build

I might be able to squeeze something through. Tomorrow I will try to get some pictures of the site.
    As to the size of the filter, is there any ratios how much between the filter and the main pond?
    concerning the parallel bay filters, is there an advantage over running the width?
    sorry if I ask too much, but one thing is clear, am lost.

As to the size of the filter, is there any ratios how much between the filter and the main pond?
    Years ago when there were less bio-media choices and all filters were DIY, the ratio was 20% - 30% size for the filter.

Bigger is better. I think 20% would work.

Hi Ric,
    From what I have mocked up, it seems like 10% or less. I will do another mock up with the bay filter parallel to the main pound. Seems logical enough because incorporating a surface skimmer will be much more convenient if setup that way?

Hi Ric,
    From what I have mocked up, it seems like 10% or less. I will do another mock up with the bay filter parallel to the main pound. Seems logical enough because incorporating a surface skimmer will be much more convenient if setup that way?
    With a parallel to the pond filter bay you can shorten the lines from your bottom drains and put the drainage pit at the other end.

I'll get another plan hopefully by tomorrow. Right now am lost about surface skimmer, especially in the bay type filter system, from looking at bro Davids skylar pond build, does the skimmer pipe from main pond to bay chamber have to be at any particular height in relation to the water level?

I figured that using 5 10000 liter submersible pumps, would create enough suction within the filter bays making the water level lower than the main pond. What am not too sure about is the height of the skimmer pipe when going through the first bay chamber wall.

I'll get another plan hopefully by tomorrow. Right now am lost about surface skimmer, especially in the bay type filter system, from looking at bro Davids skylar pond build, does the skimmer pipe from main pond to bay chamber have to be at any particular height in relation to the water level?

I figured that using 5 10000 liter submersible pumps, would create enough suction within the filter bays making the water level lower than the main pond. What am not too sure about is the height of the skimmer pipe when going through the first bay chamber wall.

Brother Ratha ,

The number of pumps has to be in line with the number and size of the bottom drains . Bearing in mind under normal water displacement or gravity fed , the 4 inches drainage can receive about 20 tonnes or 5,000 gallons of water an hour . If you have only 50 tonnes output , then you might either have to consider smaller drainage size or fewer drainage if you want to use the 4 inches pipes .

The surface skimmer , on the other hand , do not neccessary receive so much water as it's the surface we need to skim and not a water receiving hole to be precise . the skimmer hole is bored or created during construction and it's about a feet below the water surface , and fitted with flexible elbow to enable playability . You can consider an overflow skimmer over the other side of the surface skimmer as well .

Bay parallel to the length provides a bigger filteration and better run for the water . If you have a 9 meter length against a 4 meter width , then the running bay is 9 meter long if it's incorporated parallel to the length . Wouldn't you think a 9 m bay be better than a 4 meter bay ??
    Makes lot of different to be honest ...

Hope this make sense .

David

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Brother Ratha ,

The number of pumps has to be in line with the number and size of the bottom drains . Bearing in mind under normal water displacement or gravity fed , the 4 inches drainage can receive about 20 tonnes or 5,000 gallons of water an hour . If you have only 50 tonnes output , then you might either have to consider smaller drainage size or fewer drainage if you want to use the 4 inches pipes .

The surface skimmer , on the other hand , do not neccessary receive so much water as it's the surface we need to skim and not a water receiving hole to be precise . the skimmer hole is bored or created during construction and it's about a feet below the water surface , and fitted with flexible elbow to enable playability . You can consider an overflow skimmer over the other side of the surface skimmer as well .

Bay parallel to the length provides a bigger filteration and better run for the water . If you have a 9 meter length against a 4 meter width , then the running bay is 9 meter long if it's incorporated parallel to the length . Wouldn't you think a 9 m bay be better than a 4 meter bay ??
    Makes lot of different to be honest ...

Hope this make sense .

David

David
    Bro David,
    Very interesting info right there. I figured my pond will hold roughly 10.000 gallons of water, to get the desired turnaround of (2 or open to suggestions here), I may have to look for bigger pumps. However I would like to confirm one thing with you Bro David, so if I use four 4 inches pipes for the drainage, I will be required to use 4 pumps with output pipes of 4 inches?

About the parallel bay, I thought there was a scientific approach to it rather than efficiently

Bro David,
    Very interesting info right there. I figured my pond will hold roughly 10.000 gallons of water, to get the desired turnaround of (2 or open to suggestions here), I may have to look for bigger pumps. However I would like to confirm one thing with you Bro David, so if I use four 4 inches pipes for the drainage, I will be required to use 4 pumps with output pipes of 4 inches?

About the parallel bay, I thought there was a scientific approach to it rather than efficiently
    Brother Ratha

Nothing scientific about running the filteration bay parallel to the body length . Just a matter of duration and exposure of water to the filteration media and a matter of directing the drainages to the chamber in the shortest manner for settlement .

Consideration is taken on turnover before you decide on the number of pumps you want to have basis on the size or volumn of your water .

Most single horse pump can generate or pump about 5,000 gallon of water an hour and if you're looking for a single cycle , then 2 of the single horse pumps will do the trick . Basis 2 pumps , it would be recommended that you incorporate only 2 bottom drains of 4 inches to enable the displacement to work efficiently . You can be assured ..." Gaurantee " , under such configuration , you will never have to worry about waste sinking at the bottom of these drains . If you're looking at 2 cycle an hour , then I would recommend that you look at 4 of the single horse pumps , and with this , you can have 4 by 4 inches bottom drainage . This turnover rate is basis the 10,000 gallon or 40 tonne pond you have in mind . Similarly , if you're looking at opening up more holes , then you have to work out the imput against the output . With too many drainages and low output of water ( regardless of pond size ) , the bottom drains and skimmers will never work efficiently .

Many worried or experienced clogging in the bottom drains over the years , and I can only say that this is mainly due to poor configurations of pumps and bottom drainage .

I hope this provides you with some ideas on efficiencies of bottom drain and pumps to be used ...

David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast