Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: New Bakki Shower

  1. #1
    Jumbo bighatbulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reedley, California
    Posts
    907

    New Bakki Shower

    One day I typed in koi bito and it popped up a bunch of images, the first was a 55 gallon drum bakki shower. Since I have a limitless supply of 55 gallon plastic drums I decided to build one. We did change the design layout to much except insted of using 2" we went with 1.5". We ended up using 40 feet of it along with 8 elbows and 20 "t" fittings. Then I decided to get fancy. I wanted to use another drum as a settling chamber before the pump. It sort of worked, but eventually failed. the next thing I added was a faom scraper. This works remarkably well.

    Enjoy the photos.
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

  2. #2
    Nisai DrCreosote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reedley, CA
    Posts
    83

    Here are the pictures

    Here are her pictures. The first two are barrel halves. The next one is lava rock in baskets. The next one is the tower. The next one is the magical foam. The last one is the crushed 55 gallon drum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bakki Shower-barrel-1.jpg   New Bakki Shower-barrel-2.jpg   New Bakki Shower-basket.jpg   New Bakki Shower-shower.jpg   New Bakki Shower-foam.jpg  

    New Bakki Shower-barrel-3.jpg  

  3. #3
    Sansai
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    242
    This is AWESOME!!!! I definitely have to build me one of these! It's getting to cold for one now in my part of the world. I still don't even have my big pond finished. This looks fairly easy and cheap to build!!!! I LOVEEEEEEE the idea that you incorporated a phoam phraxnor into it! this whole set-up has got to be GREAT for making your water quality that much greater!
    is all you used lava rock?
    Thank You so much for the pictures!
    Happy Koi'ing!

  4. #4
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    15
    Great use of the half barrels and small green trays.

    In this photo, the lava rock looks bigger than the lava rock I see at Home depot or Lowes.
    Is it ?
    I like it. I would love to find some bigger lava rock. Mine is full of tiny pieces that get compacted and clog too easy.
    How big are the openings in those green baskets and are they the one's from the dollar store ?

  5. #5
    Jumbo bighatbulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reedley, California
    Posts
    907
    We got 2 sizes of lavarock at Home Depot 2 bags of each size If I could redo that I would go with the larger stuff and forget about the smaller. If I recall correctly one of the bags didn't exactly say lava rock, but I wasn't looking at the bag I was looking at the porduct. I filled the crates about two inches. the smaller stuff went on the bottom the larger stuff ontop.

    I understand featherrock works real well if you can find it.

    It takes 8 dollartree mini crates for each drum half, I am not sure how big the openings are 1-2 inch maybe? They seemed sturdier than the other basket option.

    Since this post we have reconfigured the settling tank barrel from sitting on top of the shelf to sitting closer to the ground. This has helped with the suction problem. The 55 gallon drum probably is not ideal for a true settling tank. However, the bakki shower works better if there is something to catch all the waste and junk material before it reaches the filter. The drawing shows how we set up the chamber. We used uniseals for the pipes. We wanted an complete enclosed system so we only cut holes for the pipes and left the top with its bung plugs alone.

    We used 1, 3 inch Uniseal for the bottom tray of the filter and 3, 1 1/2 inch Uniseals for the settling tank. I love uniseals they are cheap and flexible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bakki Shower-55-gallon-settling-chamber.jpg  

  6. #6
    Jumbo bighatbulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reedley, California
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    This is AWESOME!!!! I definitely have to build me one of these! It's getting to cold for one now in my part of the world. I still don't even have my big pond finished. This looks fairly easy and cheap to build!!!! I LOVEEEEEEE the idea that you incorporated a phoam phraxnor into it! this whole set-up has got to be GREAT for making your water quality that much greater!
    is all you used lava rock?
    Thank You so much for the pictures!
    Happy Koi'ing!
    I am sure you are aware that Bakki showers chill the water. If you decide to go with one of these you can allways wrap it or build a house for it.

  7. #7
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    We got 2 sizes of lavarock at Home Depot 2 bags of each size If I could redo that I would go with the larger stuff and forget about the smaller. If I recall correctly one of the bags didn't exactly say lava rock, but I wasn't looking at the bag I was looking at the porduct. I filled the crates about two inches. the smaller stuff went on the bottom the larger stuff ontop.

    I understand featherrock works real well if you can find it.

    It takes 8 dollartree mini crates for each drum half, I am not sure how big the openings are 1-2 inch maybe? They seemed sturdier than the other basket option.

    Since this post we have reconfigured the settling tank barrel from sitting on top of the shelf to sitting closer to the ground. This has helped with the suction problem. The 55 gallon drum probably is not ideal for a true settling tank. However, the bakki shower works better if there is something to catch all the waste and junk material before it reaches the filter. The drawing shows how we set up the chamber. We used uniseals for the pipes. We wanted an complete enclosed system so we only cut holes for the pipes and left the top with its bung plugs alone.

    We used 1, 3 inch Uniseal for the bottom tray of the filter and 3, 1 1/2 inch Uniseals for the settling tank. I love uniseals they are cheap and flexible.
    Thank You, Home Depot and Lowes in My neck of the woods only have the small Lava rock

  8. #8
    Jumbo bighatbulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reedley, California
    Posts
    907
    Try Walmart

  9. #9
    Jumbo bighatbulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reedley, California
    Posts
    907
    Ok the filter has been running smooth for about a week since we replaced the settling tank. We have noticed significant drops in DOC's, and fines, and I couldn't be happier with our water clarity. The colors of my koi realy seem to pop right now. We do have a thin layer of foam in the pond around the edges, but it doesn't stink, and its white. It seems that the combo of filter and foam scraper has taken care of a pesky health issue with my bekko. It didn't get shown this year sue two two unsightly pink "blisters" on its tail. I was told several things that might have caused the blisters, damage, parasites, carp pox, and aeromonas. I think it was aeromonas, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new system will keep that better in check.

    Will post pictures soon.

    if I would change anythign about the new filter, I would (and will) have a from pond shut off valve before the settling tank for maintance.

  10. #10
    Tategoi
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    313
    I am glad to hear that the new filter design is working well for you. Thank you for posting the picutres.

    Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    We have noticed significant drops in DOC's, and fines, and I couldn't be happier with our water clarity......We do have a thin layer of foam in the pond around the edges, but it doesn't stink, and its white.
    A couple of these observations are puzzling to me.....how are you noticing the significant drop in DOCs? From what I have read, the foam is likely an indicator of some DOCs -- many shower users skim the foam off of the shower outlet before the water is returned to the pond....?

    I have heard of folks getting by with no other "fines" control than the shower itself, but I have never understood how a shower can get rid of fines...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need Bakki Shower
    By jasonkoi in forum Pond Construction
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-09-, 11:28 AM
  2. Do I need a Bakki Shower
    By DaveB in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 03:06 AM
  3. New bakki shower
    By HenryC in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 05:29 PM
  4. bakki shower
    By nguyen4 in forum Pond Construction
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 09:51 AM
  5. More Bakki Shower talk
    By Tom C in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com