Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need pond build advice

Nisai

need pond build advice

I have a local resturant owner that has a beautiful 20' across circle pond right outside. I started talking to her about the pond and told her about my koi and one thing leads to another, now she wants me to make her pond a koi pond.
    PROBLEM-its only 1.5' deep.
    the pond is already concrete and been there for around 5 years so the pH is fine. she dosent really want to break out the bottom since that would be a larger undertaking than she wants to take on. Is there any shallow koi ponds that can be maintained?
    Is there any way I could make this work or just tell her we have to do a goldfish pond lol

Is there an option to build up? Another layer or two of blocks will help with the depth.

Nisai
    the pond is built up with brick with a decorative iron gate built into the center of the top cap. the iron goes all the way into the ground. so no not really.

Nisai

Quote Originally Posted by hulsey View Post
    I have a local resturant owner that has a beautiful 20' across circle pond right outside. I started talking to her about the pond and told her about my koi and one thing leads to another, now she wants me to make her pond a koi pond.
    PROBLEM-its only 1.5' deep.
    the pond is already concrete and been there for around 5 years so the pH is fine. she dosent really want to break out the bottom since that would be a larger undertaking than she wants to take on. Is there any shallow koi ponds that can be maintained?
    Is there any way I could make this work or just tell her we have to do a goldfish pond lol

The question is how are you going to filter the pond?

Looking at the picture, i think you have more options than you think. Bottom line is material, filtration, and labor will add up even with some small upgrades. Is there a budget in mind? That may be the fastest way to decide if its a koi pond or goldfish pond.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    The question is how are you going to filter the pond?
    I have not quite decided that. I want to build up with some stones at the north end to make a biofilter and there I could hide some of the filters and uv lights under the plants.
    my thoughs were to get a little giant double discharge pump and make 2 lines that spray around the edge back to the middle where I can retrofit a suction or place the pump so I have a good sweep on the bottom and eliminate any of the dead spots.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
    Looking at the picture, i think you have more options than you think. Bottom line is material, filtration, and labor will add up even with some small upgrades. Is there a budget in mind? That may be the fastest way to decide if its a koi pond or goldfish pond.
    well I havent figured out a price to even quote her yet so no budget in order. Ill be supplying the fish, plants, pump, filter, rocks....everything. Plus Ill include service for treating any of the fish if they need anything and weekly water checks since I only live a few miles away.

also is that a driveway around it or a sidewalk?

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
    also is that a driveway around it or a sidewalk?
    Its round driveway. There are parking lots off to the left and right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast