Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Filter media order?

Filter media order?

Hello,

i need some advice on my concrete block built filter. It is rectangular shape 9 feet long x 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. It has four compartments first one is empty which is settling tank.

I have plenty of media and i need help in which order i should put filter media in.

I have 8 matala mats, 2 of each color, 2 big mesh begs with 1 1/2 inch bio balls and 2 mesh bags with Savio springflo bio ribon.

To get best performance out of this since i am not an expert i need your help please.

Thanks in advance

Tategoi
    Bio-filters don't need differing sizes to be effective. For mats, Jmats are a good sizing with plenty of support for bacteria but adequate room for oxygen to make it to the end of the mats w/o the bacteria depleting it first. The black mat ls is good for that but has less surface area for bacteria.

Can't say enough about bio balls, they're great. I haven't used Springflow myself but it's considered very good by lots of people.

Oxygen is the most important thing to keep in mind, Too many people think fine mats & such are great but I don't like them because they deplete oxygen leaving the rest of the filter w/o near saturation and bacterial waste stay's in the mat until you clean it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonB View Post
    Hello,

i need some advice on my concrete block built filter. It is rectangular shape 9 feet long x 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. It has four compartments first one is empty which is settling tank.

I have plenty of media and i need help in which order i should put filter media in.

I have 8 matala mats, 2 of each color, 2 big mesh begs with 1 1/2 inch bio balls and 2 mesh bags with Savio springflo bio ribon.

To get best performance out of this since i am not an expert i need your help please.

Thanks in advance

My knee-jerk response is Springflo ribbon first. If the Matala mats are going to be placed solid (without void spaces for water to pass freely) last.

It depends... is the Matala for mechanical filtration or bio-filtration?